The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2020, 11:25 PM   #26
higgite

I was going to say pretty much the same, pwc, but more like my 20 year old brain keeps writing checks that my 76 year old body can't cash.

'44 was a good year.
Old November 10, 2020, 11:44 PM   #27
Geezerbiker

Since I was using a hand press, I was using it around low chest height.

When I have my RCBS press set up it's like a slot machine. The pivot point is above the table top and the top of the lever is near shoulder height. I find that easy to use since the lever travel is easy until it gets lower. I found having to push the lever of a bench mounted press down between my knees to be awkward.

I'm using one of these to raise up the press but unfortunately I need a couple more. One for the Dillon and one for my other RCBS press.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013002673

Tony
Old November 11, 2020, 08:49 AM   #28
FITASC

You can buy those Inline mounts directly from the factory - they work great and take all of the stresses off the edge of your bench
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2020, 06:52 PM   #29
Old 454

I feel for you.
I had trigger finger surgery in my ring and middle finger this past July
Went and shot today for the first time in nearly 5 months. My 45acp with my cast bullets my hand was on fire after one magazine. Ironically I shot my buddies Dan Wesson kodiak 10mm and was much Easier then my 45
I loaded about 600 rds of 5.56 on my press with a fingerless shooting glove to ease any impact
Lol I had to take a few ibuprofen and just let my hand relax

Yes getting old sucks
Old November 14, 2020, 06:29 PM   #30
RC20

I actually worked labor for a living (grin)

The doc was agast when he saw the MRI of my back, you know it looks like someone fought a war back there. Yep, its called working.

Everything hurts now! Shoot, a bit of reload pain is a relief.

I got a Ural so I can inflict more pain on myself.

Gun range guys just shake their heads at my 5+ hour shooting sessions (might as well go long if you are going to carve out part of a day). 200 rounds, no problem.

As long as I can stay in denial I am winning!
Old November 14, 2020, 06:35 PM   #31
Geezerbiker

Back in 1983 I was rear-ended while riding my long waited for Italian motorcycle. I'd only had the bike a month when a drunken Ahole hit me from behind while I was moving. He hit me going about 20 MPH faster than I was going. I crushed the windshield of his car in with my lower back before he figured he needed to hit the brakes then I went flipping in the street like a fish out of water.

I used to be able to get pain meds but... I'd better not go on because it gets political after this point.

Tony
Old November 14, 2020, 10:19 PM   #32
KarlieBoe

Make sure you keep your shoulder blades back when working. The best way to achieve this is by puffing your chest up like a young stud trying to show off. This is a much more stable position for your shoulders. It won't alleviate all problems, but it will definitely help if your shoulders are rounding forward while you work. Whenever my shoulder pain flairs up, it's almost always because my upper back posture has deteriorated.

I'm not a doctor and all that.
Old November 15, 2020, 01:29 AM   #33
ms6852

It has never been a work out, I have a single stage press, and if it is to become a workout I buy what I will shoot. The way I reload it is all done in stages taking several days to clean resize and load. I like being in a zen stage when I do this so I am never in a rush. If I don't have enough ammo reloaded for my weekly range trip I than focus only on my rimfire rifle shooting at 200 yards, they are always a blast. People freak out because I'm using Redfield sights on my 513T and 52C.
Old November 15, 2020, 09:42 AM   #34
zeke

Even with carbide dies, a little imperial wax on the occasional case decreases re-sizing effort considerable. Am sitting down when reloading , and not reaching up very far.