The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 9, 2001, 02:50 PM   #1
AR-10

Opinion on possible Petition

It has been asked in the Revolver Forum whether it would be possible or prudent to create some sort of on line petition here in such a way that members could "sign" it and then send this petition to Smith and Wesson.

The gist of the petition would be a call to action on the part of Smith to begin proceedings to dismantle the agreement.

Is this possible? Would it create a hardship for Rich? Just asking because I have no idea what would be involved with creating such an electronic document.

Would we be just as effective flooding them with thousands of copies of a generic snail mail form?

I have e-mailed Smith in the past with no response back. I believe lots of others have done the same. Is there a more productive way to "get in their face" in a positive fashion?
Old December 9, 2001, 04:00 PM   #2
Jason Demond

Sounds good. I would sign.
Old December 10, 2001, 10:13 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

If carefully written and edited.......I like the idea.

Possible also that a few of our knowledgable writers can hammer one out and put it on a host site other than TFL. Then threads could link to it. Both here and on other sites.

We have a vast pool of writers, ex writers, editors, ex editors etc as members. Some of them can even spell, sume times.

I think it needs to be written at least as carefully and all encompasing as the infamous and onerous "Agreement".

Sam
Old December 10, 2001, 11:06 PM   #4
AR-10

I have been regretting this thread from the time it was four hours old.

I don't think hosting it on this site is a good idea for various reasons, none of them political.

The basic idea has some merit, although I do not know whether or not it would have a positive effect. I really have no idea of the mechanics involved in creating such a document. That was the reason I asked. To get some idea of whether or not it was feasable.

Sam's idea of putting it on a page somewhere else and getting other gun boards to link to it would possibly generate enough signatures to get some attention. I realize that there are in excess of 10,000 members here, but the active membership is less than that. The number of willing participants is a percentage of that lesser number.

I did not intend to put Rich on the spot. Just kicking around an idea.
Old December 11, 2001, 02:00 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

We shall leave no good idea unkicked. Bad ones get thrashed. We gotta get someone with the talant and fire to jump on it.

Mike I ???

Sam

Last edited by C.R.Sam; December 11, 2001 at 09:10 PM.
Old December 11, 2001, 02:08 AM   #6
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

You guys find someone to write it up and I'll create the needed software to make it possible and provide the hosting for it.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old December 11, 2001, 08:38 AM   #7
AR-10

Very kind of you. I will contact a few members and we will find a way to get the ball rolling.

Anyone with suggestions may post them here, or PM or e-mail me. I won't get much done during A.M. hrs., as I cannot drag my monitor to work with me.
Old December 11, 2001, 03:58 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd be more than happy to write the body of the Petition.

I'm going to pull some things together this evening to get started on it.

AR-10 -- Great idea. I'm glad we were able to convert you.

Caeca -- Thanks for the offer. Greatly appreciated.

If no one has any objections, when this thing gets up and rolling, I'm going to call in some favors from former coworkers at NRA to try to get this in Random Shots.

I'm also going to try to float the concept of a "status" article for Rifleman.

I really had little interest in getting back into any form of "gun writing" other than what I do here and a couple of other Websites, but some things are more important than what I want to do.

This is one of those things.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 11, 2001, 04:01 PM   #9
buzz_knox

I'm in. The day the agreement goes down in flames, S&W's sales will increase sharply from my purchases alone.
Old December 11, 2001, 08:58 PM   #10
contender4040

positive input

At last some very positive input to try to control our future gun rights!
I am in support of the petition and any way it can be implemented.
Would suggest that if we get something going on TFL, we get the message posted in all of the forums such as general, revolver, pistol, shotgun, etc....after the message is posted in each of these forums advising them what we are trying to do and requesting them to come to this section(or the political section), we have the moderator lock down the request in the other sections to keep the response coming to this one section on the petition issue.
I suspect that from the amount of traffic on this section that we are on, very few people ever bother to visit it and would be unaware of a petition here unless we have it posted in the other sections making them aware of this important issue.
Old December 11, 2001, 09:08 PM   #11
C.R.Sam

Mike......as usual, you have risen to the occasion. Thank you sir. I apologize for the "tweek", subject too serious for that.

Caeca Invidia Es.....cool, thank you too.

To allothers who have and who will help......cool.

Potential there for a monster that they can't ignore.

Sam
Old December 13, 2001, 01:50 AM   #12
Will Beararms

This is just an idea but what if a form letter was mutually agreed upon on a word file that could be downloaded by all and then we could input our names and addresses and snail mail it to Smith? A pile of paper can't be deleted.

If the word file would have to be read only, then why not just have Blank lines in the return address section and we could write or type the info in?

I love e-mail but the visual image of piles of mail coming into Smith with the same purpose in mind makes me believe we could not be ignored.

Good points Mike. We may disagree on Smith but if I were in a battle, I'd want you in my foxhole.
Old December 13, 2001, 06:52 AM   #13
LilJoe

I agree with Will. E-mail ca be scanned before being sent to the proper PC inside of S&?.. They could figure on key words of the letter and then just delete them as they come in. Most Corps do it on their mail server looking for those famous four letter words. For once the snail mail would be the best. Maybe they better think about hiring in the mailroom soon? LOL
Old December 13, 2001, 09:40 AM   #14
Borf

On the downside, printing and mailing is more work. Which, sadly enough, means you will probably get far fewer people replying.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old December 13, 2001, 11:18 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Adding a form letter that can be mailed is a good idea.

It's also damned easy. Simple .pdf, which can easily be printed on just about any printer with no problems.

And, Adobe Acrobat .pdf reader is freeware, and included on virtually every computer that's sold today.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 13, 2001, 01:34 PM   #16
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Float the topic so all see it at the top of their fave forum & too, I'm certain other boards'll pick up on this toot sweet. Could get more widespread dissemination than that "big bear" story.

The petition, in any electronic form, can be copy/pasted/saved to/whatever to go hard copy/fax.

As with whatever correspondence when communicating with my elected things, e-mail, fax & hard copy - only way to be sure ...
We'll need some addresses & #s

Super idea.
Old December 13, 2001, 03:46 PM   #17
Will Beararms

Anything worthwhile invloves work. You can bet HCI would do it. Besides, now we weed out the true blue.
Old December 13, 2001, 09:39 PM   #18
Borf

Agree completely, but playing devil's advocate (need devil-horn smiley).

Having both is good idea.

Also perhaps having a central figure print off petitions when x number have been received and mail those in blocks. As has been said, paper (slightly) harder to ignore than email.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old December 13, 2001, 10:02 PM   #19
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great idea Borf! I don't see any reason why many of us couldn't print out completed online pages and send them in. It puts more paper in their office. Do you really think they'll check to see if there are any duplicated pages?
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old December 13, 2001, 10:11 PM   #20
Herb Leventhal

The Petition to S&W

I made the suggestion in the revolver forum after "going at it with AR-10". A petition would at least be a constructive way to vent our frustrations no matter which position a member takes. In reviewing the suggestions by AR-10,Will Beararms,Mike Irwin, C R Sam and others all excellent. Why not create a form letter in good taste detailing our dislike for the agreement but our concern for the survival of the company. We can than email the letter and also snail mail it . The former will certainly reach them sooner, the latter may have more "clout"
Herb
Old December 14, 2001, 01:38 AM   #21
C.R.Sam

So far I'm seein.....

Form letter that each can copy, print and snail mail.

Petition that is printed and snail mailed in blocks.

Good.

Also think each should be mailed to both addresses. S&W and to Safe-T-Hammer.

Leave no tern unstoned.

Sam
Old December 14, 2001, 07:25 AM   #22
AR-10

These are great ideas!

I downloaded a petition from KABA last night that I just became aware of. It is worth checking out. Gives us more ideas on how to go about this, and it is worth filling out and sending in. It is a petition to Attorney General Ashcroft to please kick California in the Pants.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/petition/
Old December 14, 2001, 06:39 PM   #23
Herb Leventhal

The 2nd Amendment Petition

I just downloaded and printed the petition. I agree it looks good
Herb
Old December 15, 2001, 06:49 AM   #24
LilJoe

Heres the petition from the site.

I also printed it out and made extra copies of the signing sheet to take up to the range to get other signatures too.
Attached Files
File Type: doc ashpetition.doc (23.0 KB, 19 views)
Old December 23, 2001, 10:22 PM   #25
C.R.Sam

RTT