The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 31, 1999, 07:25 PM   #1
Radiohead

I recently was given a gun that my grandfather had in his posession for many years. It is manufactured by Burgo and says Made in Germany in a few places. It also has a few symbols on the gun. Near the beginning of the barrel is an engraving of a Viking or Mercury (from greek mythology)type head. Just below that are three symbols. One is a tiny stick man with an "N" underneath it. The next is a shield with checkering and the final one is another shield with "68" in it. On the barrel is "Kal.32 S.u.W. Long." There is also another engraving on the barrel but i can't figure that one out even with a magnifying glass. I'm probably wrong as to what these engravings are but it the best i can do to describe them.

This gun is a 7 shot revolver and the ammo given to me was in very bad shape but indeed was .32S&W Long. The model number on the side is 108 S.

I've tried the web and a few gun shops but no one could tell me a thing about this gun. Do you have any information that you may be able to share? Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Old January 1, 2000, 04:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Radiohead,

The gun was made in 1968 and was not an expensive item. It is a couple of cuts above the .22 caliber Saturday Night Specials imported from Germany at that time.

The caliber is .32 Smith and ("und") Wesson Long. The other marks are proof marks and the date proofed, which was 1968. I think the "stick man" is a "stick eagle".

Unfortunately, value is nominal.

Jim
Old June 1, 2012, 08:48 AM   #3
matthewdrakenc

Burgo 32

I also have one of these handguns. I've always kept it in the garage, hanging on the tool bench as I figured there was no value to it.

I would like to have grips added to it though. Somewhere around 10 years ago I had a fire in my house, which damage the grips, but not the gun.

Any idea where I could order grips for this piece?
Old June 1, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
PetahW

If you surf ALL the catagories here, you'll most likely find a match for the grips needed.

http://vintagegungrips.net/vintage-pistol-grips.html

Old June 1, 2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
The gun was made in 1968 and was not an expensive item. It is a couple of cuts above the .22 caliber Saturday Night Specials imported from Germany at that time.

I'd have said it was the dregs of the lot. The .22 Burgo I have is anyway. That was the worst five bucks I ever spent.
Old June 1, 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
SDC

Radiohead, your revolver is a Burgo 108S, also sold by Arminius; both of these revolvers were made by Weihrauch and sold in the US before 1968. The "mercury head" is actually the logo of Arminius, named after a Germanic tribe leader who fought against the Romans. These revolvers were typical "saturday night specials", and importation was prohibited after 1968.
Old June 4, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Scorch

I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that in 13 years since his last visit the OP has gotten his answer.
Old June 4, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Deleted.