The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 1, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1
AirborneMosinFan

Steel core 22 long?

Does anyone make such ammo. I read somewhere it may have been banned in 1986 or somthing. Just curious, I like shooting extinguishers and an old bus on my land but most 22 ammo doesn't make the holes I like to see. Any input is much appreciated
Old November 1, 2011, 09:35 AM   #2
RedBowTies88

i would be very very careful shooting anything that's not going to trap a .22

ive personally been hit with ricochets from .22's and thank god they were going slow enough to only leave a small bruise. I'ts no joke and you can be hurt very badly.

Leave the hard targets to faster/heavier rounds
Old November 1, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Master Blaster 2

Never have heard of STEEL CORE ammo in 22s,LorLR.
Old November 1, 2011, 10:01 AM   #4
AirborneMosinFan

Now I'm trying to decipher this readIng

http://nucnews.net/2000/du/98du/981204du.laws.htm
Old November 1, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
tim s

Is it really a gooid idea shooting stuff that results in rounds skipping all over into the great beyond?????
Old November 1, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
AirborneMosinFan

Good thing I've got the great beyond to shoot into.

I've got enough space I could aim towards the nearest house and not hit it
Old November 1, 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
tahunua001

I dont recall ever hearing or reading about steel core 22lr. generally steelcore is designed for armor piercing tendencies and a 22lr just doesn't have the force behind it to go through even a lowest level flak jacket.

however they may have made one much like the green tipped semi armor peircing ammo for pelt hunting so you wouldn't damage the hides of certain furbearers. I've never seen it but it's possible that it was made at one time.

in 1999 bill clinton signed a bill that made it illegal to sell surplus ammo, ammo intended for military use, and ammo designed to penetrate armor to civilians. semi armor peircing is still legal but all that black tipped ammo that flooded markets for years disappeared almost overnight. you can still buy it as long as it was manufactured before 1999. good luck for your search

EDIT, I finally got your link to work. basically they are outlining a bullet that is either a solid steel or copper core or it's weight is more that 25% steel or other hard metal for the jacket is considered AP. anything with less is considered a self defense or sporter round. so a a 40 grain 22lr bullet would have to contain less than 10grains of steel in order to not be considered armor piercing. it might be possible but 10gr is steel is not a whole lot, I dont know how much of a 62gr m855 is actually steel but I think a heavier 22lr like a 50gr would be possible but barrel twist rate would have to be more rapid than you standard 10/22 or marlin 60/795 I would think.

since 22lr is able to be used in a handgun a solid steel or copper core bullet would classify as a AP round

Last edited by tahunua001; November 1, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old November 1, 2011, 06:26 PM   #8
30-30remchester

A few people have loaded steel core 22 lr before, all foreign IIRC. Remington made some for the military than wasnt AP but had a fmj. All are rare and expensive. In my years of collecting I have but one box of the fmj ammo and not a single round of the AP. Cant even imagine shooting up such valuable and rare ammo simply to make a hole in a peice of trash.
Old November 1, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Just curious, I like shooting extinguishers and an old bus on my land but most 22 ammo doesn't make the holes I like to see.
They'll make nice holes in paper though without one coming back at you.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:54 AM   #10
AirborneMosinFan

The bullet isn't coming back to me.

The round penetrates the first layer, just not the second. Im not shooting any quarter inch steel or anything, just a rusty old bus, small extinguishers and some old body armor inserts from the army that's another thing I wanted to test.

Tags
22 lr , marlin , penetration , steel