The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
mmb713

CCI vs Remington primers

I've been reloading for over ten years now and have used CCI primers almost exclusively. All of my pet loads I worked up with CCIs. Well, CCIs have become scarce around here and one gun store worker told me that they have been having trouble stocking them for a while and can't take orders. Sportsman's Warehouse was the only place I could find that had any brand of large and small pistol primers in stock, and that brand was Remington. I bought 1000 of each as I'm almost out of primers. My question is how much difference will the Remingtons have over the CCIs? Can I just substitute them or do I need to work up my loads all over again? Maybe just try a few rounds with the new primers and my existing loads and chronograph them and see what difference, if any, they make? I load 357, 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I do all of my chrono testing with my Blackhawk convertibles so I have a whole lot of leeway if I go a little over pressure. That and when I'm testing auto pistol rounds I don't need to be distracted about where my brass is landing and I can concentrate on not shooting my chronograph!
Old April 16, 2012, 12:15 AM   #2
mrawesome22

You are supposed to reduce 10% when changing any component or lot number of the same component.

Reduce and use your chronograph.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
Old April 16, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
oldreloader

try http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
Old April 16, 2012, 10:14 PM   #4
mmb713

I saw Powder Valley shows them in stock but I don't have enough cash to make a large enough order to offset the hazmat fees. I'm going to rework my loads with the Rems. I'm kind of curious to see the difference, if any. Midway shows "out of stock, no backorder" with CCI and a few other brands of standard pistol primers. Looks like we may be headed for another primer shortage.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

I don't load to max levels and I will use CCI, Winchester, Remington and Federal primers as one in the same. I only do this with pistol loads that are not at or near max. levels. I would need to run them past a chrony to tell the difference if there is any. The biggest differences I have seen are how well the feed in the primer tube and how hard the primers are for pistols with lightened hammer springs. The order I have found from hardest to softest is CCI, Remington, Winchester and Federal being the softest.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:41 AM   #6
steve4102

You do know that those 1 1/2 primers are not to be used in high pressure rounds like the 357 and 9mm, yes?
Old April 17, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

I have only used a couple thousand Remington small pistol primers in 9 mm rounds (1 1/2). They worked fine in mid range loads. I prefer Winchester but I can't always get them. I would be very reluctant to try 5 1/2 small mag pistol primers in a 9 mm case.