The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2009, 10:05 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
There really is not much downside to having the gun sit there a few months hoping someone is fool enough to buy it.
They have a colt Woodsman in less than perfect shape with no accessories listed for 479 that has been there over a year. A number of shotguns also there as long as I have lived there.
Old June 19, 2009, 10:04 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

I had the guy at the pawnshop try to convince me that I needed a Colt New Service in .357 Magnum.

"It's REALLY RARE! This is a GREAT price!"

$1,000 was NOT a great price for an unusual, but not particularly, rare handgun, especially not one that looked as if it had been dragged by a chain down a gravel road.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 19, 2009, 10:55 AM   #28
Super-Dave

So are all these pawnshop owners/ workers just stupid?

or Do people really pay $320.00 for a used rusty mossberg 500?

George Orwell
Old June 21, 2009, 03:48 PM   #29
ilbob

Quote:
So are all these pawnshop owners/ workers just stupid?
They are actually being smart.

Say you have $100 in something that was pawned. Whats the downside to having it sit for a few months hoping a fool walks in?

If they borrowed the money to buy the item, they are probably paying no more than 10% on it. Its costing them less than a dollar a month for it to sit on the shelf. Very low risk for them.

They may also prefer to have more stock thinking it brings in more buyers.

You often see the same thing with consignment guns. The gun shop does not own the gun so could care less if it sits there forever in many cases.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.