The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
raddoc

Just ordered my first Lee turret 4 hole press!!!

Hey guys,

My Father and grand dad reloaded and I wanted to start.

I also got 2 replacement turrets and 4 die sets in 9mm, .40 and .45...I've been doing a lot of reading and research on different powder and have come to titegroup for the 9mil and AA#5 for the .40 and .45. I was thinking about getting electronic calibers and/or case length gauges.

Any other recommendations for additions to the kit would be very appreciated!

jl
Old February 1, 2009, 01:31 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

didnt like the disk powder measurer in that kit myself... got a rcbs uniflow for myself
Old February 1, 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
benzuncle

Welcome to reloading raddoc. I was where you are just over 1 year ago. I did a pile of research, lurking and reading the stickys. After all was said and done, I bought the Lee Classic Turret Press in a kit form from Kempf Gun Shop. Others had the kit also but Kempf had it all and were ready to ship ASAP. And boy, once you get the bug, you want your stuff yesterday! Know what I mean? Anyway, the extras: I added the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure and the Safety Prime System for large and small pistol primers to my Classic kit as part of an upgrade offer. The kit came with the Lee beam scale. It takes a wee bit o'patience but measures just fine. Just throw and measure enough loads to feel confident that the loads are consistent. As a newby, I became proficient at using the kinetic bullet puller, also an add-on to the kit. And don't forget a caliper. In retrospect, and what I do now when setting up a new load: I "dry load" enough rounds (no primer or powder) to get everything "ironed out". I used to have a picture of my first 45acp: I called it my "45 short!" The bullet barely peeked out of the casing! I still laugh when I think about it. Good luck to you. Wait 'til you fire that first round and it's a success. The smile on your face will hang there a good while!
Old February 1, 2009, 08:01 PM   #4
floydster

I load for five pistol calibers and have the Lee Classic turret, who needs a stinkin progressive-------my flame suit is on.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
ZX10Aviator

Love my LCT! I use the pro auto disc, works great for my pistol and rifle loads.
Old February 1, 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
totalloser

Great press. I've had very good luck with No5 in 9mm, .357sig, and .40. Hard to find bulk, right now, though. But after only finding one pounders in stock, and looking at the numbers, I'm thinking power pistol may be slightly superior for my calibers. Lower pressures, lower charges, and slightly higher velocity out of most of my loads. IE: more economical, and more powerful. Hard to find that right now, too!

I'd get the caliper, and skip the gauges. No need 99.9% of the time with pistol brass, but the caliper is very handy. I like dial calipers better, though. A bullet puller is also a good idea. Mistakes happen.