The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Texas Solo

Fact or fiction ??

I've been using Starline brass for my .45 loads. Great stuff. I was recently able to scarf up close to 500 rounds of once fired Winchester brass fired from two different Glocks. I'm being told it's unsafe to reload, having been fired from a Glock and being "buldged" near the rim. They look fine to me, but....

So what's all this talk about Glocks having unsupported chambers and trashing the brass??
Old January 28, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Nonsense - the problem is an old one and it was for .40 S&W only. Use the brass without fear of it exploding on you.
Old January 29, 2009, 01:47 AM   #3
ljnowell

Quote:
Nonsense - the problem is an old one and it was for .40 S&W only. Use the brass without fear of it exploding on you.
Ditto that, almost 90% of my brass has been fired several times out of my glock.
Old January 29, 2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Fiction.

Even the .40 brass was safe to reload as long as you didn't try to firewall it every time.
Old January 29, 2009, 06:55 AM   #5
cgaengineer

All my 9mm and some of my .45 were fired from a Glock and no problems reloading...thats what they make a sizing die for!
Old January 29, 2009, 09:15 AM   #6
dlb435

I reload ammo from my Glock all the time. No problem.
Old January 29, 2009, 09:44 AM   #7
armsmaster270

I got a 5 Gallon bucket of once fired 40's from the Sherriff's Dept. and have had no problems. No glocks but sigs and smiths.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

fact

It is not a 'Glock' thing; it is a 'size of chamber' thing.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:20 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

(more fact)

Just received some Glock-fired (M29) 10mm brass to examine for this specific concern.
While the cases WERE bulged (sender was worried about them "guppies"), they sized normally and fit every gauge and passed every measurement.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:15 PM   #10
totalloser

I load exclusively range brass in .40, and have yet to see a bulged case, including the stoopid hot loads one of the cops at the range shoots. However, there is a member here who has an older Glock and claims his shells consistently show a bulge. There was a bad batch of brass that destroyed a couple guns, and this was very well documented, as one of the destructive failures occurred during official police training, on a professional range. This factory ammo was recalled.

.45 is not EVEN worth worrying about. Most .45's have an unsupported chamber, and it doesn't matter, because the pressure in .45 acp is only about 20,000psi, where .40 is more like 33 to 35,000psi.

In short, I think there is SOME merit to the case bulge issue, but nowhere near as much as there is concern, but it ONLY pertains to the .40 shot in OLD Glocks-maybe only the earliest, because my old Glock never bulged cases, and it was the early non rail version with no finger grooves.
Old January 31, 2009, 11:44 PM   #11
Sevens

FWIW, I have a bone stock factory fresh Glock 29 and it bulges brass and puts smilies on 'em. You can see the bulge better on brass colored brass and less on the nickel plated brass, but the bulge is clear, obvious, and I had to wait for Glock to build this pistol after their summer shutdown a few months back, so I'm not talking about some older Glock build.

I run the brass through my Lee carbide sizing die and you can't tell that it's been bulged after you've sized them.

Is the brass compromised? I don't really know... I suppose time will help to answer that. I can tell you that the brass I've put through my G29 has been both factory new ammo (Winchester Silvertip and Federal Hydra-Shock) and reloads (R-P nickel brass, 150 grain Nosler JHP pushed by AA#7, Power Pistol and Blue Dot). The reloads are on their 3rd loading of this brass. The loads are snappy but not max loads, certainly not over max.

Are there other pistols besides Glock pistols that bulge and smilie some brass? Sure seems likely.

Is there another gun maker in the history of planet earth that is responsible for more bulged brass than Glock? No way in hell.