The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2000, 12:22 AM   #1
Enigma

I guess the question that I have about the Advanced RCBS set is related to the powder scale and powder dispenser...they are supposed to comunicate via infra red.....I would like to know if this system is something worthwhile or not... or is the regular mechanical system just as good. Thanks!!
Old February 21, 2000, 01:44 AM   #2
jcoyoung

I have the Powder Pro scale and the Powder Master electronic dispenser (not the trickler). I just used them for the first time last week and they work great (well, sort of). The units communicate via IR port from the scale.

The dispenser was extremely accurate in hitting 44.5 grains of Win 748 every time. After initial set-up and metering, all you do is (make sure the powder pan is in place) push the dispense button and the thing starts whirring and dispensing. When the scale gets close to the set powder weight, the dispenser slows down and dispenses slower (really neat to watch).

One problem, as the machine was dispensing my last charge for the evening, the slow dispense tube started binding up. After fiddling around with it for about 30 minutes, I gave the tube a little tug and it was able to spin freely. It feels like the tube is held into the machine by some kind of spring. (Don't push the tube in, you will just make the thing bind more). I haven't tried the dispenser out since, but hopefully I fixed the problem.

On another note: It turns out RCBS shipped a bunch of electronic dispensers with the wrong transformer and the part that plugs into the unit is too small. I called RCBS and explained the problem. The lady said a bunch got shipped out wrong and a new transformer would be sent. Kudos to RCBS for such great customer service.

I can't really compare the electronic dispensers - vs - manual dispensers. This is part of my first reloading set and I wanted to go high tech. If your a lazy techno-geek like me, then the electronic dispenser system is definitely worthwhile.

Jason

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 21, 2000).]
Old February 21, 2000, 05:24 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If I'm loading stuff that I shoot a lot, I use my Dillon progressive--so, it's just a simple powder-measure deal.

For "serious" loading, like '06, etc., where I weigh every load, I can see where these electronic deals save time.

For me, with lots of time, it's not worth the cost. To balance out the investment, I'd have to be doing a lot of, say, prairie dog shooting. I wouldn't want to load a bunch of max or near-max .220 Swift or equivalent via powder measure. I can't help it, I just don't trust a powder measure that much--although I've never had a problem.

They do seem like neat deals, though...

Art
Old February 22, 2000, 10:25 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Enigma,

I use the rcbs powder scale and dispenser on every rifle round I fire. Excellent system. I basically hit the dispense while I seat the bullet and test the COL. The next charge is ready when I am. I have found that this system does not like fine ball powder of any type. It will actually seize (as described above) when the powder jams the motor system. I only use it on my IMR powders (like 4895 and 4064) and on the flake powders of alient (blue dot, unique). Here it is great.

I also use it extensively for load development. When I am working up a load, I usually load 5 rnds at each power level. So for IMR-4895 on the 7.62 Nato. I would start at 39 grns, 39.2 39.4 39.6 etc. Very easy to make these loads.

I would recommend it if you are shooting rifles alot, pistols well, it may be a luxury.

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, Perfection!