The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2011, 12:04 AM   #1
HisSoldier

Ser.# in 3 places?

Contrary to many PPK and PPK/s owners I really enjoy and prize my S&W made PPK/s, I have a NIB Interarms PPK and from my machinist's viewpoint I see little to choose quality wise between them except the use of MIM parts in the S&W (The ejector broke recently, and it cost me $58 to replace it, I'd much prefer precision investment cast parts as in the Interarms).
I noticed tonight that the serial number is laser engraved in three places on the frame, the normally seen one just behind the trigger on the RH side, and near the bottom RH side under the grip down low a small ser. #, and again even smaller just below the hammer on the RH side. This seems very odd to me, does anyone have an idea of why they did that?
The Interarms gun has just the one serial number below the trigger on the RH side.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:25 AM   #2
HisSoldier

Here is a photo, there is of course the normal place, then at the rear of the frame under the RH grip are two more, one right behind the grip screw hole and one just under the hammer pin. Notice that the one closer to the barrel is much smaller. My theory at this time is that the laser operator was testing the laser, but if others are also marked in those places then there must be another reason for it.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this mystery.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.

Last edited by HisSoldier; December 17, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old December 17, 2011, 11:49 PM   #3
HisSoldier

Hello? Are these serial number locations normal to S&W PPK/s?
Old December 18, 2011, 01:29 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

S&W has always used "hidden numbers" to aid law enforcement in cases where someone with criminal intent has removed the obvious number. On older revolvers it was in several places, notably on the back of the cylinder and on the front (toward the cylinder) of the extractor itself. Another place was on the bottom of the barrel under the extractor rod. Note that these were full serial numbers, not the assembly numbers commonly found on the crane and the frame under the crane. Nor were they for assembly purposes; S&W told LE officers that they were for the specific purpose of preserving a serial number if the normal one (on the butt) was obliterated or altered.

Jim
Old December 18, 2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

And since the invention of laser inscribed markings, it's now very easy and fast to put additional markings on guns.
It's not necessary to use a roll engraving machine to roll on markings, you can simply program a laser and it'll put on whatever you want, any place you want, any size you want, and do it in seconds.

When markings are roller engraved, the extreme pressure distorts the structure of the metal. Even if the marks are ground off, it's very often still possible to "raise" the numbers with acids or other techniques.
Laser engraving seems to be easier to remove, and since it doesn't distort the metal structure, it may not be possible to recover the markings.
So, possibly S&W is making sure there are plenty of hidden serial numbers where the usual thief wouldn't think to look.
Old December 20, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
HisSoldier

Thanks guys, you know, it never occurred to me, that answer. But it does seem pretty stupid to both hidden #'s on the same side under the same grip. It would slow a criminal down a bit.

This seems to be a case of;
"The wicked flee when no man pursueth, but the righteous are bold as a lion".
Old December 21, 2011, 01:44 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't have an S&W PP, but I wouldn't be surprised if the serial is elsewhere on the gun. Like Dfariswheel says, it is easy to put them about anywhere today.

Jim