The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2009, 11:35 PM   #1
mssurrey

Got my first ever shotgun...

Its a Mossberg 500 12 ga pump action.

Since I've never had a shotgun before, I have no clue how to clean it?

Any suggestions?
Old June 14, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Certainly!
Manual is okay but I prefer this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9qfF3mvWRI
Once apart, regular technique such is used on a semi auto pistol (bolt is similar in concept) but a bigger scale. I spray a solvent (any) into the extractor/ejector parts as I manipulate them. Same with firing pin. A light (VERY LIGHT) oiling before reassembly. For trigger group I use a weak solvent spray to clean it out. Wifey poo is asleep so I can't get my can to give exact name...
Brent
Old June 15, 2009, 12:03 AM   #3
zippy13

Congratulations on the purchase of your scattergun!

The Mossberg manual is pretty explicit in the cleaning procedure. If you didn't get an owner's manual with your gun, download one from <http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf>
Old June 16, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
mssurrey

Thanks guys - appreciate it.

One question however. Is it necessary to fully field strip (like in the youtube video) for day to day cleaning ?
Old June 16, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
the rifleer

no, its not necessary, but its good habit. I at least clean the barrel and give it a drop or two of oil.
Old June 16, 2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Swampghost

I also clean ALL firearms fully every time that they are shot. Mop the barrel heavy for storage and wipe it clean before firing again.

It's been working for over 100+ yrs., why mess with it?
Old June 16, 2009, 10:35 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I swab my barrel at least once a year no matter how many rounds I run thru it... I also will clean it if it is out in the rain. I have no problem running rounds down the pipe many times with out cleaning it. To determine if the bore is dirty, I open the action and insert a business card in the action and peek down the barrel. If it looks like mildew bloom I will swab it.
I ain't suggesting it is a better method than cleaning after each shooting session. But I will say that my bore looks great and the gun has several thousand rounds thru it.
Brent
Old June 21, 2009, 08:14 PM   #8
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
I also clean ALL firearms fully every time that they are shot. Mop the barrel heavy for storage and wipe it clean before firing again.
Amen brother! +1

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 21, 2009, 10:26 PM   #9
zippy13

I'm between Swampghost and hogdogs. I don't do a take down and serious cleaning after each time I shoot, but I do swab the bore before the mildew sets in. It depends on the frequency I'm shooting. It may vary from infrequently to five days a week. With an O/U, the friction surfaces are wiped before the gun leaves the range and re-lubed when the gun is re-assembled. With an 1100, the mag tube/gas cylinder gets wiped clean before the gun goes in the case. A pump gun is more forgiving. As far as the bore is concerned, I try to remember to hit it with a fuzzy stick at least once a week if active.

For comp shooting, I learned years ago to clean after the tournament, not before. Something as simple as an infinitesimal bit of lint from a cleaning rag caught in a sear can result in a rude surprise. For a freshly cleaned gun, practice first so you know everything is working properly before the tournament. The same practice can be applied to field guns, too.
Old June 21, 2009, 11:41 PM   #10
colostomyclown

Great advice all around. I'd honestly wait until you have 500 or so rounds through your 500 before I cleaned or oiled the action/receiver at all (always clean the barrel imo). I'm a firm believer in letting the carbon and gunk help work in the action and break the gun in on a Mossberg 500. When I hit the 500 round mark, I take the gun apart fully and deep clean and oil and then clean regularly after every use from then on.
Old June 22, 2009, 12:46 AM   #11
Maser

Congrats on your choice in shotguns! I myself have had my Mossberg 500 since I was 12. As far as cleaning goes, I clean mine after EACH shooting session. Don't matter if you shoot it 1 time or 1,000 times in a single session. Clean your gun. Also make sure to clean the threads on your choke tubes. I made the mistake of never paying attention to them and always leaving the full choke in and ended up with surface rust on the threads. No damage, but still was a scary sight.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your's as much as I and other Mossberg owners have. It really is a true workhorse of a pump gun.