The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1
JohnH1963

"Sling" bags for concealed carry

I just bought a camera "sling" bag which is designed so that you can carry a big SLR camera in a backpack-like bag. When you need the camera, the bag slings around quickly and you can get it out in a hurry.

I was wondering if there was such a thing for pistols. The tactical "Fanny pack" looks obvious, funny and ridiculous. Throwing the pistol in an ordinary backpack is no good as it would take too much time to get it out. Carrying a regular holster under your shirt and other such things can get uncomfortable and it does look obvious.

I looked on the internet and found something that seems to do the trick.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...:10905/I/58603

Im wondering if these types of sling bags make it look obvious Im carrying? What are your thoughts?
Old September 25, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
jgcoastie

A few companies make messenger-style and briefcase-style concealment bags/cases that make it a bit less obvious...

Though off-body carry is usually a "last resort" method of concealment for most people, though it can be the only feasible option in some instances...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 25, 2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Mello2u

Quote:
jgcoastie

Though off-body carry is usually a "last resort" method of concealment for most people, though it can be the only feasible option in some instances...
This is an important point.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 25, 2009, 09:02 PM   #4
jlwatts3

Maxpedition makes good bags for this. Check out their Gearslinger line. Not cheap but they are nice.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...&idcategory=12
Old September 26, 2009, 12:29 AM   #5
MLeake

For the newcomers to carry...

... off the body is not considered optimal because if your bag looks like it is likely to contain a camera, laptop, whatever, then it looks like a good target for a purse-snatcher type.

If that happens, you don't have your gun, the thief does.

So on the body and concealed is a better idea, unless you just can't do it with your chosen weapon and your wardrobe at that moment.

Cheers,

M
Old September 26, 2009, 09:39 AM   #6
JohnH1963

These are good points. So if you use an off-carry method then its probably best to have a retention cable from the bag to your belt so snatchers cant get very far.
Old September 26, 2009, 09:52 AM   #7
TailGator

Quote:
its probably best to have a retention cable from the bag to your belt
Not sure I am 100% on board with being tied to a snatcher who now has my gun case. If he is going to snatch and run, maybe better that he runs away and finds out later what he has?
Old September 26, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I think average people seeing a male with a fanny pack make several other assumptions before they think about a possible gun. Another CCW person will probably make you right off the bat, but who cares? I often notice hip bulges or bits of holster clips on people I am sure members of my family do not.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9
m.p.driver

Take a look at maxpeditions jumbo pack.Slung crossways you can have it centered in front and it has belt loops on the back,about the only way for a snatcher to get it is to rip your head off.And as for being slow to use,i've timed myself and its just as fast to unzip and pull as it is to sweep your jacket or lift your shirt and draw.Like anything practice makes perfect.I carry a Glock 21 and extra magazine that the only way i could conceal it is with a coat or jacket,not workable in the summertime.Usually the anti comments come from people with no experience with them.But you will have to put up with the" i like your purse"comments.I carry mine with a i love obama patch on the flap.
Old September 26, 2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Japle

I have a strong aversion to any holster that requires two hands. Tuckables, fanny pacs, etc. I might not have both hands available during an attack. BGs like to start the fight up close and without warning.

If your wardrobe doesn't allow you to carry at least a compact 9mm, I'd rather see you go with a P3AT-size .380 in a pocket holster. Even with dress slacks and no jacket, it won't be noticed. In a situation that looks "hinky", you just slip your hand into your pocket and grab the gun.
Old September 30, 2009, 11:17 AM   #11
googol

You really don't want off-body carry unless it's truly the only option available. Any time you set the bag down in public, you'll watch it like it was a 2-year-old kid ready to run into traffic. If you get up to go to the can at a restaurant, you'll have to take the thing with you. You won't want anyone else to touch it or lift it, because the unexpected weight might raise awkward questions.

I carried a J-frame .38-Special in an over-the-shoulder bag for a long time. When I got a KelTec P3AT, it took an enormous load off my mind. And off my shoulder.
Old September 30, 2009, 11:45 AM   #12
rantingredneck

Maxpedition Jumbo!

I use mine as a daily man-bag, hunting pack, hiking bag, etc......

On occasion it has a gun in the zippered CCW compartment. If it does it only leaves my body when we are back at the vehicle. Slung diagonally across my shoulder it would be difficult to snatch and it has a velcro loop that can tie it to your belt.

That all being said if there's a gun in the maxpedition, it ain't the only gun I have at that particular time .

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 30, 2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Superhouse 15

Redneck is right. My Maxpedition Jumbo is my diaper bag for my boy, and if there's a gun in it, it's just a BUG.

And if you want a sling bag to carry a firearm in, here's one.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-select-carry-pack.html
Old October 18, 2009, 02:38 AM   #14
DeathRodent

It seems like everyone under 30 has a messenger bag or laptop bag these days. They're slung over one shoulder and ride on your hip.

Get one of these and use your weak hand to hold it so (where the strap attaches) it doesn't bounce around and your strong hand will be ready to reach inside.

You can rig up a holster with velcro. I think it would work and be indiscreet.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:17 AM   #15
Japle

Before you decide to carry a gun in a shoulder bag or laptop bag, put your unloaded gun inside and have a friend come up behind you and try to snatch the bag while threatening you with a plastic knife.
See how well you do trying to get your gun out.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:33 AM   #16
pax

Japle ~

A tuckable doesn't necessarily require two hands -- not any more than an OWB or IWB under a long tee shirt does. Using two hands is more natural, but it's not at all difficult to acclimate to using one hand only if that's what rocks your boat and with practice it's just as fast.

JohnH ~

Try a Raven Shoulder Pouch. I've been wringing one out here. Despite the company name, this one is a unisex bag, and doesn't look feminine at all -- and the draw will be quite fast. It's got a wire-reinforced strap to defeat slash & grab bag snatchings, and is worn crossbody for security & ease of access.

pax
Old October 19, 2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Madcap_Magician

Thanks for that link, Kathy! Every time I think about shoulder bag carry, I think, man, it really needs some wire reinforcement like the specialized travel bags have.
Old October 23, 2009, 12:38 PM   #18
Shawn Dodson

The OP writes:
Quote:
Carrying a regular holster under your shirt and other such things can get uncomfortable and it does look obvious.
It sounds as though you have zero CCW experience with IWB/OWB holsters, and if this is true you're jumping to conclusions.

I've CCW'd since 1984, usually wearing an IWB holster behind my strong side hip. Never really had an issue with comfort.

2 years ago I relocated to Florida and I had to rethink my CCW method. I replaced my G19 with a Kahr PM9 to minimize gun bulk and weight.

I considered and experimented with pocket carry (no-go for me).

I also tried SmartCarry (Thunderwear) holster but it didn't allow onehanded draw when sitting or driving, or a reliable, rapid draw when sweaty.

The lightweight hot temperature shirts I wear did not drape very well over my pistol when worn in an IWB holster behind my strong side hip.

I looked at appendix carry and used a couple of inexpensive holsters to experiment with. I concluded that it was my best option and then shopped the internet to look for a holster that I could best adapt to appendix carry (the dedicated appendix carry holsters I examined were too complex in construction for my needs). I ordered a Milt Sparks Summer Special II IWB holster, and when it arrived I trimmed off the excess leather below the trigger guard and cut off one belt loop. I wear it IWB appendix carry. I'm very pleased with this setup as its fast and comfortable.

I suggest you reconsider your predjudices about IWB holsters.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:01 PM   #19
culleniii3

I used to live in Florida as well.

I second IWB carry. The right houlster with right gun will do wonders and will not print with proper attire.
Old October 23, 2009, 11:34 PM   #20
Brit

Florida

I am on my third CCW Permit here in Florida, I use a much chopped up Glock Combat holster, just behind the right hip.

Glock 19 every day, not even aware of the gun. Wally World has great shirts, Florida friendly, sweater on cold days (yes we have those) cost of holster? $12.00.
Old October 24, 2009, 07:18 AM   #21
MTT TL

A fanny pack/ waist pack is obvious in most cases except where appropriate (hiking, large events, etc). I use something like this when hiking as I often wear shorts and other methods are inconvenient.

If you want to be less obvious in light clothing under your shirt I use this when wearing pants:

Under a heavy jacket/ clothes I use this on my belt:

Old October 24, 2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Though off-body carry is usually a "last resort" method of concealment for most people, though it can be the only feasible option in some instances
In almost all cases, I recommend against it. Other posters have explained the objections well. But, as you said, it's sometimes the only way.

There's something to be said for having a gun on me, even if I have to be more conscious of retention.

I used to carry one of those messenger bags all the time when I did IT stuff in the late 1990's. It wasn't a very friendly time or place for concealed carry, and I couldn't be caught printing, so I'd frequently drop it in the rear outside pocket, facing inwards towards my left hip.

It was also a convenient way of having the gun within arm's length all the time. Of course, the balance is, you have to be aware of the bag at all times.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:52 PM   #23
minniedog2

I agree use maxipidition
Old October 31, 2009, 04:57 AM   #24
Ian0351

I carry off-body regularly and don't have any problems minding the bag; it's not like I leave my bag laying around downtown or sitting on the bus anyway. It certainly is nice to carry a full size gun and 2 reloads with zero printing or visibility. Also, you can carry water, snacks and maps (or whatever) inside.

Semper Fidelis
Old October 31, 2009, 02:11 PM   #25
JimL

Quote:
I just bought a camera "sling" bag which is designed so that you can carry a big SLR camera in a backpack-like bag. When you need the camera, the bag slings around quickly and you can get it out in a hurry.

I was wondering if there was such a thing for pistols.
Why not use the camera bag?

JimL