The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 7, 2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Syntax360

Steyr M9A1 + AAC Evo-9

I picked up my AAC Evolution-9 suppressor about a month ago from the awesome folks over at RCS Guns, and I must say - I don't think I have ever had a cooler toy. I went the trust transfer route and was pleasantly surprised when my Form 4 only took 18 days to process, mailbox to mailbox.

I was worried about the sighting situation, but I'm actually very pleased with the diameter of the can vs. the height of the sights. The top of the front sight is dead even with the top of the can - one can place the center of the target just on top of the front sight be able to score decent shots all day long without the aid of a laser (minute-of-zombie is a breeze ). However, the lower part of the sight picture is obscured a bit by the can, so I do prefer to use the setup with the M6X's laser on.

Thus far, I've only shot 3 types of ammo through the can - WWB 147gr. JHP, WWB 124gr. FMJ, and CCI 115gr. Of course the subsonic 147gr. was the quietest, but I was pleasantly surprised at the supersonic stuff as well. It's loud, but definitely not stupid loud like a normal unsuppressed gunshot. It is also worth noting that the sound of a bullet hitting a metal backstop is way, WAY more loud than a suppressed shot . Hearing protection is an absolute must if you plan on shooting at an indoor range. A friend and I also noticed that the pistol does have an almost hollywood laser gun sound when you are shooting subsonics at the indoor range using hearing protection - I suspect it's a product of the shot and the impact in rapid succession.

Carry rig:

Old June 7, 2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Syntax360

Both my beauties, side by side - my girlfriend showing off the setup:

And a video:

(note - the microphone in the camera is definitely flattering - actual report is something between a brad nailer and a roofing nailer and has kinda a metal clanky sound to it).
Old June 17, 2007, 02:13 PM   #3
.351winchester

Thanks for making me envy and covet on the sabbath,
Old June 22, 2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Pistola Pedro

Half and Half

I want to comment on how nice that setup looks, but at the same time I have to ask why you would post a picture of your girlfriend like that? I mean the gun is great and you posting pics makes me want to do something like that someday with my P99. Besides I love the way that the Steyr looks. But as far as the revealing pics go, this is a gun forum, if we wanted those kind of pics, there are plenty of other sites we could be at. Just my $.02.
Pete
Old June 23, 2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Legion2600

Syntax,

What kind of camera?
Old June 24, 2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Syntax360

Nikon D50, Legion. Thanks again for referring me to RCS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola Pedro
But as far as the revealing pics go
If you really think that one picture is too revealing, I feel sorry for you. Have you been out lately? Like in the past 10 years? I think the pretty lady accents the pretty gun quite well (and vice versa). My thread, my pictures, and no one else is complaining. Thanks for the compliments on the pistol, though.
Old June 25, 2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Pistola Pedro

Didn't mean to come off so offensive

You're right. It is your post and your pics and it's really no worse than I see on a daily basis. It's just that if I had a beautiful girlfriend like that, I would hope that I'm the only guy who she's showing the extent of her beauty to. But I'm pretty darn old fashioned when it comes to that kind of stuff and I shouldn't have tried to push that off on you. My bad.
Pete
Old June 25, 2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Syntax360

No problem . I'm usually pretty old fashioned, too, but I've gotten a lot better lately. It was her favorite picture, so I figured I'd throw it up.

Did I mention that I absolutely love this gun? It's a shame I don't get to shoot more. I still need to run some different flavors of ammo downrange to see what is quietest and I need to work on figuring out the best amount of water to add to get the best results. The recommended 5cc's is barely better than dry IMHO. I think I've had best results with ~4 tablespoons, but I need to do more testing.

Here are a few more of my favorites: