The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2015, 01:22 AM   #1
StarlitSnowWolf

Questions about a new to me shotgun. Help appreciated!

Hey, everyone! I recently picked up a Mossberg 190 in 16 gauge, really just because I was wanting something kinda unique to have fun with trap shooting and it really appealed to me! Paid $150 for it and it's in really nice condition! I had a couple quick questions on it that I hope can be answered quickly because I'm ripping my hair out trying to find solid answers....

First off, being a 16 gauge, shells aren't exactly easy to come by, especially something my local shooting club allows, which are basically target loads. 7.5 shot, 1oz of shot, etc....I found Remington Game Loads that would be okay, but that's not my concern. What is is that when I do find them, they aren't too cheap, like 12 or 20....So, on that note, would it be possible to have the barrel re-chambered to 12 gauge since it's not TOO much of a larger shell?

If not, are there any options as far as gauge reducers that fit in the chamber? And that would hopefully still be able to let the bolt extract the spent shell and load a fresh one? Thanks in advance!

Old December 12, 2015, 02:30 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Reload.

Honestly, that's the best option.
Old December 12, 2015, 02:31 AM   #3
StarlitSnowWolf

I would, but I'm never home....Truck driver
Old December 12, 2015, 04:56 AM   #4
kozak6

16 gauge is an intriguing gauge, but unfortunately it is as unpopular as it is expensive.

12 gauge conversion is impossible.

There is such a thing as a gauge reducer, but it's a poor option. It wouldn't be economical since you would need at least a magazine worth, and even then, they don't always function well in repeaters.

You can start reloading or you can sell/trade it towards a shotgun in a more suitable gauge.
Old December 12, 2015, 05:06 AM   #5
JimmyR

Welcome to the world of obscure calibers!

When it comes to oddball calibers (I'm a 9x18 Makarov guy, myself), and reloading isn't an option (for me, it's due to the 9 month old girl crawling the floor), you really only have 2 options:

1) Buy locally, and pay higher prices

2) Buy online (either from individuals on Facebook groups, armslist, forums, etc. or online retailers in bulk quantitiy).

I've been lucky that one of my local FFLs keeps some 9x18 on hand, in addition to most of the other oddball calibers I've tried to find (even some 7.62 Nagant revolver ammo), at reasonable prices. If that's not possible, I suggest looking online for something that might be more in your ballpark pricewise.

Unfortunately, if option 1 and 2 don't work, you do have Kozak's suggestion that may be a last resort: trade it for something that meets your needs better.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old December 12, 2015, 05:31 AM   #6
StarlitSnowWolf

See, it doesn't have an actual NEED, other than look nice on the range breaking clays! Lol when I need something more practical for whatever reason, I've got a pump 20 for that. I was just hoping I had some options as far as changing the caliber to something more common. I've even tried seeing if there were any 12 or 20 gauge versions of the 190 made, but haven't come across anything.

Edit: Whoops, scratch that....There was the 12 gauge model 195. Lol
Old December 12, 2015, 10:12 AM   #7
g.willikers

A chamber reducer probably wouldn't help much with accuracy.
Full length barrel inserts are available for over and unders, and maybe side by sides.
But they're gun specific and ain't cheap.
Shotgun barrels are kind of thin to modify to a larger gauge.
So you're stuck with what it is, pretty much.
At the price you paid, why not just keep it as is and get what you need in addition?
Heck, it's kind of neat and was almost free.
Can't really have too many shotguns.
Old December 13, 2015, 10:07 AM   #8
MarkCO

While more than 12 or 20, these are the only 16g shells I have shot and they worked fine for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243...shot-box-of-25

Federal has some too, but I have not shot any.
Old December 14, 2015, 12:17 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sixteen gauge is not popular, so they don't make a lot of ammo, and because they don't make a lot, it is expensive, so it is not popular, so they don't make a lot.....

Jim
Old December 14, 2015, 05:32 AM   #10
SARuger

I had the 12g version of that shotgun while growing up on the farm. I used that gun for everything, even shot skeet with it once with no success!

My dad bought it for me from Sears for my 12th birthday. I traded it when I turned 18 for a 870 20g "light" model and that got my love affair with the 20g Remys going.

Thats a neat old gun just a rare caliber. A friend of mine has a 16g model 11 he wants to sell me but I can't justify it with the cost of ammo.
Old December 14, 2015, 10:02 AM   #11
FITASC

Quote:
Sixteen gauge is not popular,
Tell that to the folks here:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/index.php

or here:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/

or here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...433a44cf8b5bb5

It might not be popular with the tackycool folks, but true uplanders love it

OP, besides these forums to look at, ammo is readily available on line from a variety of sources, especially Gamaliel and Able's.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 16, 2015, 03:09 PM   #12
BigJimP

I don't see the attraction for a 16ga either ( although I have the Western Field version of the same gun - bolt action - that the OP has...) got it when I was "younger" ....in about 1959....

But before changeable chokes ...made our shotguns more versatile...the standard load for a 16ga was 1 oz of shot...and today you can find a number of 1oz loads in the 20ga and the 12ga...so the 16ga got squeezed out...and it was never a gague used in competition ( 12, 20, 28 and .410 ...were )...
Old December 18, 2015, 06:16 AM   #13
Blindstitch

If you don't have time to reload for it or find a good deal on shells I suggest finding it a friend. I'm sure there are more than enough in the 12 gauge version hiding everywhere in your travels.

I could have swore I seen 16 gauge cheaper than $9 a box.

As for reloading a Mec Reloader will get you loading several boxes quickly. A friend let me try his and I bet I loaded 4 boxes in no time.