The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 23, 2001, 02:51 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Remington model 8

Hi guys, I'm considering buying an old Remington model 8 chambered in 32 Remington. The gun is overall in very good condition with lots of blueing and stocks in good shape. One potential problem is I cannot tell if the buttstock has been shortened. It has a Remington Crescent steel buttplate on it, but the kicker is that it has been mounted, to my way of thinking, upside down. I don't know a whole lot about Remington rifles, but the Remington trademark is on the buttplate and it appears to be facing in the right direction which kind of confuses the issue. I guess one advantage of mounting the plate this way is that the toe of the stock is protected. Anyway, the job is very well done and I can't really imagine why anyone would take the time to fit the plate on backwards on purpose, so I am wondering if this is original to the gun. Any comments would be appreciated, oh by the way the gun has a Lyman tang site and its selling for $150, sound reasonable?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 25, 2001, 03:52 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Rem 8

Alex:
You mentioned a "Crescent" butt plate, which tells me it has a "Crescent" styly stock. I my research of the Rem 8 I have not found that it came with that type of stock. The ones that I found have a slight curviture to the stock, but not what I would call a true Crescent.

What is the length of "Pull" on the Stock?

HJN
Old September 25, 2001, 03:30 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

At that time, Remington (and the other makers) would put on about whatever the customer wanted in terms of stock, sights, buttplate, foreend, etc. If the buttplate is marked Remington in the factory style, it could well be original.

Jim
Old September 25, 2001, 04:14 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

I've not measured the pull length on it, but I will do so tonight and get back to you. I pulled the buttplate on it the other night to look at the inletting and it is well done, I've inlet several Hawken style buttplates and this job was done by someone who knew what they were doing. I'm still intrigued by the idea that it protects the toe of the stock in this manner and I wouldn't have too hard a time believing that it was a factory job, but on the other hand there are a set mounts for sling swivels that were put on and unless that was done by the factory too (it is also very well done) it could mean a gunsmith worked on the rifle at one time. In addition, I haven't been able to find any pictures of factory rifles that have the crescent buttplate on them, only mention that some were offered like that.

In any event the gun fits me perfectly and I'm 6'3" with long arms, so that kind of shoots down the theory that it was shortened and the buttplate reattached. I don't know, I am puzzled by the lack of information on the model 8. I originally thought they were an ugly rifle, but the more time I spend looking at it I find that it kind of grows on a person. It's light weight, well balanced, and after awhile spent looking at it quite sleek looking. I think it's pretty good testimony to the rifles dependable nature that the firearms savy federal agent who was responsible for stopping Bonney & Clyde brought two model 8's to the final encounter and one of them issued the fatal shot to Clyde. It is just odd that more things have not been written about them.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 25, 2001, 04:16 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

I could post some pictures of the rifle, but I'm not exactly sure how to put them on the forum, I do have a digital camera though.
- Mark Twain
Old September 25, 2001, 09:23 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

The length of pull on my model 8 is about 14". I went back to the gunstore this afternoon and purchased a model 81 Woodsmaster in 35 Remington that they had got at the same time. I checked the pull length on this one as well as it was about the same, so I'm not sure if this meant that the model 8 had originally had a flat buttplate (which the model 81 has) and than someone put on a Remington buttplate in this fashion, or if it was factory original. Probably never will know, but it is an interesting gun and I think I will enjoy hunting deer with it this fall. Thanks for your information.
- Mark Twain
Old September 27, 2001, 01:07 PM   #7
Gewehr98

I've got original sales brochures for the Model 8...

When I asked Remington for an owner's manual for my 1906 Model 8, they sent a photocopy of the original manual, as well as a vintage sales brochure of all the different models and grades. If I can get my scanner running, I'll see if I can upload them here, otherwise I'll email them to you, Alex. Did you find .32 Remington brass or ammo yet? There's a gentleman here in Central Florida who sells .32 Remington made from .30 Remington brass, I'll pull his business card out later. He beats Old Western Scrounger in price.

Neural Misfires
Old September 27, 2001, 01:29 PM   #8
Alex Johnson

I would really like to see the manual. I have an RCBS die for the 32 Remington on order and a lot of new 30 Remington brass that I can reform into the 32. I also found a place where I can buy preformed 32 Remington brass for about $56/100, I will probably order that. I still haven't found a good source of bullets for it. I might end up ordering a Lyman mold for the 170 grain and using gas checks on it. Otherwise I'll find a lot of 32 Winchester special bullets to use. Thanks for the response.
- Mark Twain
Old September 27, 2001, 03:20 PM   #9
Paul B.

Harley. I had a friend that had a Model 8 Remington in .25 Rem. He said it belonged to his grandfather, and that he ordered it with the crescent butt plate from Remington. Somewhere, I have a copy of, I believe GUNS magazine that shows a picture of a Model 8 with the curved butt plate.
Looking in my copy of Sharpe's Rifle in America, the pictures of the Models 8 and 81 both show curved butt plates. perhaps this is the type he means. (?)
Paul B.