The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2018, 05:43 AM   #1
Cavitation

Anyone else hate RCBS DIES

Does anyone despise RCBS dies as much as I do?

I hate there roll crimp
I hate there adjustments
I have them in 308,30/30,444M,35Rem, and they all suck.

How do you feel about them
Old January 1, 2018, 06:38 AM   #2
BBarn

I don't despise any brand of dies. And overall I personally prefer RCBS handgun die sets over those offered by Lee and Hornady.

I prefer the RCBS roll crimp.

The RCBS adjustments are OK though I don't care much for the ones with 1/4-20 threads and a blade screwdriver slot.

I have six sets, all handgun calibers.

Last edited by BBarn; January 1, 2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old January 1, 2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Old Stony

Hate is a pretty tough way to address RCBS. I've been using their dies for probably 50 years, along with a few other brands along the way. Anytime I had a minor problem, they were very receptive and did their best to keep me going.
I would suspect maybe you might have a little problem with die adjustment, brass trimming, or something along that line that is giving you problems.
Old January 1, 2018, 07:35 AM   #4
Cavitation

I have not used these dies in years. Any new caliber I have are lee dies. I will admit these were used when I was new to the hobby. I started with the 35 rem in a marlin 336. While I ended up with some outstanding loads I fought with them and ruined a ton of brass trying to get a visible crimp for the lever action. A lee factory was the solution. The 450 marlin was next with a slightly better learning curve with a straight walled case. I still use the 308 dies with a lee factory as well.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:19 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

Nothing wrong with RCBS dies. I've been using them (and others) for fifty years. If you're having trouble with them, or aren't getting the results you're looking for, I'd suggest you don't have enough experience to use them properly. Their customer service is A+ on top of an already good product. They've sold millions of die sets over the years and didn't get to be one of the top makers (maybe are the top maker) for no reason. One disgruntled person probably won't knock them down based on an internet rant.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:33 AM   #6
HiBC

I've got several sets of RCBS dies. They are a pretty good "go to" brand.One good thing about them,the LGS,or even the big box store,I have even seen a WalMart and a Long's Drugs with an RCBS parts section. Yes,I could replace a spindle on the day I needed it.
IMO,they are a good,useful tool that do their part if I do mine.

I can say the same about my Lyman dies,my Hornady dies,my C-H dies,my Pacific DuraChrome dies, My Forster dies,my Redding dies,and my Lee dies.

I do like some a little better than others,some have unique pluses or minuses but all will make good ammo,and if I don't set up or execute right,I don't blame the dies.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:36 AM   #7

I avoid buying RCBS dies if I can help it.
I own a few sets of them and I do HATE the way they are adjusted. Other than that, they work OK, the quality is fine. But, I hate the way they are adjusted.
And since I hate the way they adjust and there are alternatives, why should I buy them ?
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:41 AM   #8
Dufus

Almost 100% of my hand loading has been with RCBS since I "graduated" from the $10.00 Lee Loaders (now called the Lee Classic) in 1966.

I have other specialized dies, but still use the RCBS mostly.

I have never had a problem adjusting any of them.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:57 AM   #9
cw308

What dies do you like?
Old January 1, 2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Cavitation

I suppose hate is a strong word. Some are a tad sensitive I guess. I mostly had trouble with the roll crimp on them. I dont mind them in bolts or single shots that do not require a crimp. I just have had much better luck with Lee,and Hornady. I really am looking for opinions and maybe find out why I was having trouble. Most local gunshops only carry RCBS around here and it would be nice to have that availability on the shelf as opposed to online shopping. I am far from an expert reloader but have put out some very good ammo. 308,35rem and 450 marlin have been my best. I am about to dive into the 6.5C and 30/06 and give them a try.
Old January 1, 2018, 11:57 AM   #11
mikld

First, ya gotta be smarter than the dies. I haven't come across any dies that I can't reload with. I have Lee, RCBS, Redding, Pacific, Herters, and a couple unmarked dies, and all work if I do my part...
Old January 1, 2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Tsquared

I prefer the RCBS pistol dies. I also really like my Redding die set but it is hard for me to go through the extra effort and $$ to find them.
Old January 1, 2018, 12:11 PM   #13
F. Guffey

Quote:
Does anyone despise RCBS dies as much as I do?

I have them in 308,30/30,444M,35Rem, and they all suck.

How do you feel about them
Years ago I went to southern Louisiana to help them with problems they had with shrimp boat engines. They were worried about me being able to sleep so I ask what was the concern. One reloader told me the problem is created by Chevrolet P/Us and Lee dies; so I asked him how could a P/U and Lee dies prevent someone from sleeping?

He said Lee dies and Chevrolet P/Us make so much noise when they rust it is all but impossible to sleep. I have Lee dies, I do not use them but I have them 'just in case'. I have Herter dies, I use them because I am one of the few reloaders that can compare a case that has been sized in a Redding die with a case that has been sized in a Herter die. And then there is the part about getting what I want with a die that has threads; threads make the die adjustable, when adjusting a die to the shell holder I use feeler gages and or height gages above the press and die.

F. Guffey
Old January 1, 2018, 12:22 PM   #14
mehavey

RCBS dies are ....

Old January 1, 2018, 12:26 PM   #15
reddog81

I've replaced most of my Lee sets with RCBS dies purchased cheap off eBay. Most of mine are handgun dies except .30-06. I'm looking for a cheap used RCBS 9mm die set right now
Old January 1, 2018, 12:28 PM   #16
F. Guffey

Quote:
And since I hate the way they adjust and there are alternatives, why should I buy them ?
A long time ago RCBS made a set of dies for the 38 Special, and then came the 'and then' moment; they build another set for the 357 Magnum. I do not have to explain there was the mad dash by reloaders to purchase the new 357 Magnum set.

Back then there were reloaders that secured the lock ring to the die because they were afraid to loose their place and there were a very, very. very few reloader(s?) that secured the die to the press with the lock ring because they were not afraid of loosing their place and there were reloaders that adjusted the die ever time they used them. The very, very, very few that never secured the lock ring to the die never purchased the 357 Magnum die set because it was never necessary.

It took years and years for most reloaders to figure out the crimp portion of the 38 Special seating die would crimp both 38 Special and 357 cases. Another 'and then' moment': RCBS added a shim to raise the 38 Special seating doe for reloaders that insisted on securing the lock ring to the die.

And I never hated any of it; there were a lot of reloaders that were very boring to talk to.

F. Guffey
Old January 1, 2018, 12:28 PM   #17
hdwhit

RCBS has never disappointed me with a set of their dies. Lee has disappointed me once with a set 9mm dies on which I could not get the expander to adjust properly but all of their other dies have been fine. I have one Forster die set that has been very good. Lyman has done nothing but disappoint.

No experience with Hornady or Redding.
Old January 1, 2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Nathan

I have used Lee, RCBS, Forster, Hornady and Redding. I have not used Redding die sets. I think I would like them.

Given that, I prefer Hornady strongly. They start with accurate machining that is quite smooth where it matters. Their oring and locknut adjustments are great and never move until I move them. They come apart easy for clean up. The adjustments are course enough to move, but fine enough not to drive you crazy. Additionally, they continue to innovate. Last, best lock rings. Runout is low, adjustments stay put...cleanable.

RCBS was ok until I started loading 40 s&w and realize owl was all over! Then I checked 45 Auto and it was same. Traded out with a Hornady seater and the issue was gone. So, I’m done with RCBS.

Lee’s lock rings suck for changeover. Replace them and the dies are now way more expensive....huh!
Old January 1, 2018, 01:00 PM   #19
AVirginian

Like many, I have a variety.
Hornady 6 sets, all pistol with the exception of 223. Love their lock rings, IMHO, the best.
Lee 3 sets, I sold off some that were replaced with Hornady
Redding 2 sets, both bottleneck rifle. Expensive but the quality is tops.
They all work fine.
Old January 1, 2018, 01:06 PM   #20
RC20

RCBS makes good dies and the price is good.

Most of mine are RCBS.

I have a Forster die. Nice. Except I mixed some military formerly crimped (removed mostly). The infamous floating shaft broke. RCBS would give you a new one (not that it happens to theirs) Forster, no.

RCBS micrometer comp seaters can be used for 308, 30-06. Not Forster.

RCBS had the 7.5 Swiss in the micrometer seater I wanted. No one else did.

Do I hate Forster? (or anyone else) Nope.

Do I like RCBS support (exception that all have is electronics auto powder dispensers) yep.

Do I hate my station wagon because I can't haul a load of garbage in it?

Nope. Some pluses, some not so plused.
Old January 1, 2018, 01:27 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

RCBS roll crimp is sensitive to brass length. If your brass is too long you are going to ruin the case. I found out loading .41 Rem Mag. They needed a very good crimp. A mentor told me to set my calipers to a set length, and any brass that did not go trough needed to be trimmed. I trimmed all my brass once, and several years later am using the same dies, and brass. Have not buggered a case since. I also made a dummy round with every bullet I use for setting up the seating die. I have a FL set for 6.5 Creedmoor I do not crimp those. I will be getting a Lee Collet die for neck sizing as it works great without requiring lube, and case cleaning.
Old January 1, 2018, 01:41 PM   #22
condor bravo

I have about 50 Rcbs die sets and a few others so I don't hate nor despise them. What's the problems with the roll crimp and adjustments? The only problem I had with one rifle set was that it didn't have a roll crimp feature. This was with some belted mag caliber so I just ordered another one.

One other thing, the decapping stem on the sizing die for a Savage 22 Hi-Power developed stripped threads and wouldn't hold the expander. I sent an email to Rcbs two days ago and my bet is they will replace the entire stem at no charge. I have never had to rely on their warranty before.

Last edited by condor bravo; January 1, 2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old January 1, 2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Road_Clam

So we have an excellent quality functional die at a great price that has been around for decades and here we have a "hate thread" ? Nope, not falling for it, haters will hate.

RCBS dies are excellent, as is their customer support. Come up with something more factual than "I hate their crimp"
Old January 1, 2018, 02:33 PM   #24
wild willy

If you bend a nail over when hammering does that mean your hammer is junk?
Old January 1, 2018, 02:50 PM   #25
Damon555

Am I missing something here? RCBS dies set up just like most every other die out there.....They are definitely my preferred brand.....if they have them in the caliber that I'm loading.