The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 27, 2017, 10:55 PM   #1
mattL46

Action wrench for M12 winchester

Hello all, I've got a model 12 winchester I've been working on. I need to remove the barrel extension to make a minor repair. I've watched Larry Potterfield do this easy task on YouTube but can't for the life of me figure out what he's done with his action wrench, it's simply a wheeler action wrench but looks like he's got some kind of flat inserts in the wrench to engage the flats of the extension. I can't find anything like it online so I'm assuming he made it for the purpose. Am I correct in assuming this? If I bought a similar wrench could I duplicate this with hardwood maybe? I wasnt sure of how to post the link (if even allowed) So if any of you are bored please go check it out and maybe tell me how to approach it. Thank you folks.

Matt.
Old December 28, 2017, 01:54 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

This is a rather poor copy of the manual but on page 2 it says no tools are required for disassembly/reassembly.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/winchester_12.pdf
Old December 28, 2017, 02:04 PM   #3
mattL46

@T'oheir thank you for your reply! The part that I need to replace requires disassembly beyond the manual. I have to remove the barrel extension from the barrel. It requires a vice and wrench and the removal of the magazine.
Old December 28, 2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Goatwhiskers

What part exactlly do you need to replace?
Old December 28, 2017, 03:35 PM   #5
mattL46

@goatwhiskers I need to replace the adjusting Sleeve lock- it's broken, not allowing the barrel assembly to fit tightly against the receiver. It's not horrible, but it has noticeable play. I bought this particular specimen cheap for a project. I knew it when I bought it.
Old December 28, 2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

Been a while since I worked on one, but seems like removal of the retainer screw should allow the lock to be lifted out of the pocket it sits in. If the screw is messed up that's the color of a different horse. GW
Old December 28, 2017, 06:09 PM   #7
mattL46

@goatwhiskers I'll double check that tonight. I'm pretty certain I saw in a repair manual/guide that is have to remove the extension, but I'll see look into it. That would make life a lot easier.
Old December 28, 2017, 06:10 PM   #8
mattL46

Thank you for your help!
Old December 28, 2017, 07:51 PM   #9
mattL46

@goatwhiskers unfortunately the lock does not lift out, it's keyed and will only come out in a "forward" (toward the bbl threads) direction. Barrel extension must come off. I'll find a way to get it off. I can probably make a "clamp" style wrench to engage the flat sides of the extension. I'll figure it out one of these days.
Old December 28, 2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

Brownell's sell a "blank" action wrench which are just two flat pieces.
These are designed to allow making a wrench to fit an odd receiver.

However, since they are just flat, you could use it as-is on the sleeve flats:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t....aspx?psize=96

However, it would be cheaper to just make your own smaller wrench.
All you need is two pieces of flat steel bar stock, drilled for two bolts with nuts to lock them together.
Use brass shim stock against the sleeve to protect the finish.
Then just weld a pipe on one block for a handle.
The tool could be made for a few dollars, and could be built with no more then a drill press and a welder for the handle.
Old December 28, 2017, 08:41 PM   #11
mattL46

@dfaris thank you very much for the info. I've got this question posted on multiple forums with virtually no info, and was already considering fabricating my own. I may have most of the parts already. I'll look this wrench over and consider a purchase, it may come in handy for something else. Again, thank you very much!!
Old December 28, 2017, 09:29 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

After the adjusting sleeve is removed the barrel extension can be removed from the barrel.
" To Remove the Receiver Extension from Barrel"

" The extension should not be removed unless either it or the barrel are to be replaced. In such case proceed as follows:
At factory, in production, an offset drift is used, inside the hole for magazine in the receiver extension, and a hammer, with the barrel held inverted in a suitable vise with protected jaws. The drift is provided with a copper plug driven in the offset portion. The top surface of the plug is rounded. When the offset end is inserted in the hole in the extension so that the copper contacts the hole during the removal of the extension.

In using the drift care should be taken to contact the strongest cross section of the receiver extension with the rounded copper plug, to avoid deforming the extension.
Remove the extension by unscrewing it by hand after it has been driven loose with the drift."

If you put a barrel wrench on the barrel extension you WILL crush the magazine section
of the barrel extension. The above quote is from the Winchester service manual.
Old December 28, 2017, 09:34 PM   #13
mattL46

Thank you for your info. I'm sure there is a way around that, considering Larry Potterfield uses a wheeler action wrench. I could probably use a drift or filler in the magazine tube side of the extension to support it. Interesting. Where can I find the info you posted?
Old December 29, 2017, 07:37 AM   #14
jaguarxk120

It is a blue covered manual from Winchester " sequence of Take-Down and Assembly Operations" from Winchester, the date is Oct 31,1957.

PM me your mail address and I will send you picture's of what you need from the manual.
Old December 29, 2017, 08:58 AM   #15
mattL46

That's awesome of you jaguar!
Old December 29, 2017, 09:12 AM   #16
mattL46

Pm sent @jaguar