The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 25, 2024, 05:44 PM   #26
Nathan

First, I set headspace on a Savage with a GO gage plus a piece of clear tape on the end. That gave it min plus a bit, but not over NO GO.

Then I remove the gage and torqued with the wheeler wrench set and barrel vice. It worked pretty good for under $100. Torque was moderate.

Then to properly assess pressure, I find I have to size to where the bolt handle drops freely with brass FL sized. Maybe even -0.001” beyond that….depends on the brass condition….is it all annealed, same lot or something making it FL Size the same? Otherwise, FL Sizing can be all over the map.

Then, annealing while not mandatory is a good idea for changing things like neck diameter.

Regardless, you have shot some…..can you push a bullet back into the case with finger pressure? If not, there is issue #1. Basically, when the bullet releases, it should leave the OD to where a bullet will slide in the ID with finger pressure. If not, then you probably need to turn or ream necks. This is common going dow a size or 2.

Last, try a pressure ladder. Start with a load which a book, QL or something tells you that you are 45000 to 50000 psi and increment up ~0.4gr increments until you get bolt lift. Then your last load before bolt lift is absolute max.
Old May 25, 2024, 09:17 PM   #27
GeauxTide

Quote:
Also, I suffer from chronic cheapbastardism.
You picked the wrong hobby.