The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2002, 09:53 PM   #1
Shotgun364

Should I purchase another shotgun?

I love my shotgun so much, I have been aching to by another just like it. I have wrestled with this for some time. Do I really need a second? Some people I have asked have said yes, you need a backup shotgun in the event of a malfunction if this is your only firearm, which it is right now. On the frugal side, getting another type of weapon will require different ammo, where I already have a sufficient 12ga. stock.

Do I really need another? Am I becoming a militant survivalist? Have I watched too many movies?

I need some closure here people, please help me put this to rest once and for all.
Old February 4, 2002, 10:32 PM   #2
9mmMike

I bought my first last year. My second one came within a couple months. I already want another!
I do not have much of an armory here and I do not own anything that I do not shoot, often. I hold collecting in low regard and some small amount of contempt.
But.....
These SG's are so great. I can't beleive I waited so long to get one, and another, and......
So much fun for so little money. Weeeeeeeeeee!
Sorry I got carried away there.
The answer is yes.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old February 4, 2002, 10:55 PM   #3
Shotgun364

Thanks Mike. Im feeling better already
Old February 4, 2002, 10:59 PM   #4
GunsdontKill

Mike my policy is if I have funds and want a firearm nuf said. You don't have to justify your right. You deserve as many shotguns as you want. Personally I would recommend trying another something a little different.

If you like skeet/trap shooting and get pretty good with a 12ga. Try going to the range for a month or two with a 20ga. A little more difficult. But then when you switch back to the 12ga you will be vaporizing your target.

Just a poiint of view. But whatever you do go ahead and buy your second gun. I got a buddy started about 2 1/2 years ago and he is up to 6 guns. That is one every 5 months. Set a goal and go for it.

Dan O
Old February 4, 2002, 11:38 PM   #5
glockster96

Just one shotgun?

Young man, you march right down to the local gun repository and pick up at least 1 more.
Old February 5, 2002, 12:02 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

I don't NEED a shotgun.
Have half a dozen or so.
Like tater chips.
One not nuff.

Sam
Old February 5, 2002, 12:20 AM   #7
Shotgun364

I like what Im reading here. I like it, I like It !
Old February 5, 2002, 12:43 AM   #8
MrBlonde

Yes.
Old February 5, 2002, 06:03 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Go for it.

A suggestion.....

Depending on why you now have, consider getting a variant of the same model.

My HD shotgun's an 870.

My wingshooting shotgun's an 870.

My main deer gun is an 870.

My trap gun is,guess what,an 870.

If your present shotgun's, say, a 28" bbled pump gun, get a second one with a shorter tube and rifle sights. Or, a long bbled version of your riot gun if that's the case.

Same controls, different missions, means I'm not trying to take off a tang safety at a crucial time instead of one mounted behind the trigger.

One thing, I do recommend ultimately widening your battery to include at least one 22, one centerfire rifle and either a rimfire or centerfire handgun. But, one step at a time...
Old February 5, 2002, 05:13 PM   #10
Shotgun364

Thank you so much guys for helping me through this. It was an issue for me but nolonger. Im getting my baby some company Thanks again.
Old February 5, 2002, 05:50 PM   #11
Chuck Graber

Shotgun364,
There are currently five shotguns in my safe and I can think of at least two other shotguns that I really could stand to buy a special shotgun for. I am always on the lookout for that perfect gun that will crush every clay target that I draw down on and fold up every bird that I point it at, in mid-flight. I just know that the next gun I buy will do all that.

Chuck Graber
Old February 5, 2002, 06:58 PM   #12
PJR

You need several more

If you want to play all the games and hunt an all-round shotgun battery should include:

Trap gun
Sporting clays gun
Skeet gun with small gauges barrels or tubes

12 gauge sxs or o/u for larger game birds
28 gauge sxs or o/u for smaller game birds

12 gauge semi-auto gas gun for waterfowl (can be used as back up for sporting clays and skeet gun)

12 gauge short-barrel smooth bore for HD and deer hunting with slugs

I suppose you could press the skeet gun into sporting clays duties or vice versa and while the small gauge game gun is nice, a lightly loaded 12 could take it's place.

Regardless how you look at it, you're still going to have to get a gun or two more.
Old February 5, 2002, 07:41 PM   #13
M1911

????

Of COURSE you need more guns. The problem is either 1) trying to convince your spouse of that or 2) sneaking the new ones by her in the event that #1 was unsuccessful (or unwise).

M1911
Old February 5, 2002, 09:06 PM   #14
Vang Comper

"Should I purchase another shotgun?"

I didn't even read your post, but yes.

I did read your post now... Only one shotgun and your asking if you need another???? My god man, I know people who own over TWENTY shotguns and they still debate buying another. I myself hope to own at LEAST a half dozen or various types. One type of shotgun is like owning ONE rifle, just foolish me friend, foooolish!!
Old February 10, 2002, 02:36 PM   #15
NC-VT

Uh oh.

I shouldn't of read this thread. Ya'll are just provoking(sp?) me.

I bought an 11/87 and a 590A1 at the same time last summer or so. Obviously for clays and just-in-case, respectively. They were two of my first 3 long guns; the other being a 10/22.

I've already decided I need an 870 "do everything" shotgun and a cheap break-action, single-shot .410('cause they're a blast to bust clays with), in the fairly near future. Who knows what else beyond that...

So, I hear ya! I don't think we should necessarily(sp?) have to justify it. I agree with the general sentiment(I should really fix my dictionary program) of the previous posts.
Old February 10, 2002, 04:58 PM   #16
BIGR

Yes go get another one with no delay. If you already have a Pump action 12 GA get you a semi-auto 12 GA or vice versa. If the one you have is a heavy 12 GA shotgun go get you a light weight 12 GA. If you have a Remington 12 GA try a Browning or Mossberg. I could go on and on. A person needs different shotguns for different jobs. Look at it this way...it is like money in the bank and they ain't going get any cheaper.