The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 15, 2018, 03:26 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Stag Arms Blemishes

So with the current political climate (not a discussion starter, not the point of the post), and the urging of a good friend of mine, I am in process of possibly picking up a Stag Arms blemished upper + lower. No barrel, gas, stock.

My question is, have any of you bought any of these blemished parts before? What were your thoughts/opinions?
Old March 16, 2018, 05:34 AM   #2
Kvon2

I've never bought stags blemishes parts but I do have a stag rifle. They are fantastic quality and as long as the stag warranty still applies (not cosmetic obviously) I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Old March 16, 2018, 07:07 AM   #3
Mobuck

I don't know about Stag blems specifically, but most of the "blems" I've acquired seem to be finish variances. Too light or dark or slightly mottled. Since all the machining is done before the cosmetic finishing, shouldn't be any real functional issues. I doubt ANY maker is going to release gun parts that might have structural or fitment flaws.
As far as internals: internal parts are relatively cheap so even looking at "blems" would be counter productive.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:01 AM   #4
StagArms

We put a disclaimer in each blem product to cover any possible finish defect, but each product will function like new and maintain Mil-Spec standards if applicable. As Mobuck stated, most of the time these products are available it's because the dye might have been low when the anodize was applied. This would cause the color to be slightly off. While we've found a little oil will bring it right back to life, we don't want to risk selling it as 'new' and receive a return for a minor finish issue. Also, there are times where we find a small scratch somewhere on the receiver and don't want to sell it as 'new' for the same reasons.
Old March 16, 2018, 02:08 PM   #5
LBussy

Welcome @StagArms, and thanks for the info!
Old March 16, 2018, 02:54 PM   #6
stagpanther

Don't know about stag--But I've bought several PSA blem receivers and even a complete blem firearm--I've never been able to decisively figure out what/where the blem was.
Old March 16, 2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Kvon2

...I think I am star struck. Stag arms is in the building!
Old March 16, 2018, 08:25 PM   #8
Mobuck

".I think I am star struck. Stag arms is in the building!"

I'm always pleased to see manufacturer input on the forums. Mostly, they're just guys like us but can offer some insight we may not have access to.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:53 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nothing a can of paint can't hide.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:08 PM   #10
Stats Shooter

Do a nice cerakote or Duracoat finish on it and not only is the "blemish" gone, but you have a nice custom finish.

As for the rifle, I used to have a stag model 2 I sold to my brother on the cheap as he wanted an AR but is on a tight budget. It ran just as flawlessly as my Daniel Defense or Noveski. I would rate them very highly.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:04 AM   #11
Mobuck

An AR is a TOOL for me. Tools don't have to be "pretty" or have evenly matched finishes IMHO. Even if it starts that way, it won't stay that way long if actually USED.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:01 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
it won't stay that way long if actually USED.
That is an absolute fact--but then again when you pay top bucks you do deserve a show-room finish--more than once I've received parts that were almost certainly "newused."
Old March 17, 2018, 11:03 AM   #13
riffraff

I bought a blem stag 15 recently - was kinda an impulse buy while I was buying other stuff, "OK let's put that in the pile too" .. plastic on the hand guard has a little gap I think is what it is but maybe the finish is off a bit, don't know don't care price was great shoots fine.
Old March 17, 2018, 10:58 PM   #14
JeepHammer

Just a tip from someone that has suffered through AR-10 builds...
I recommend buying your BCG from the upper manufacturer, and most manufacturers don't play well with other makers on Upper/Lower fitment.

Since there isn't a 'Standard' for AR-10 (like military set standards for AR-15s for years, and still pretty much does) AR-10 parts are rarely, if ever, Mix-&-Match.

This isn't just Stag, it's every maker...
Old March 19, 2018, 08:52 AM   #15
PlatinumCore16

Thank you all. And HUGE thank you to Stag for the personal response!!! I'm excited to get it in.

Mobuck, I'm a little confused what you meant by "looking at 'blems' would be counter productive'"?
Old March 19, 2018, 09:38 AM   #16
StagArms

Appreciate the warm welcome!
Old March 19, 2018, 09:39 AM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Just a tip from someone that has suffered through AR-10 builds...
They can be fun too--you just have to learn to use the force.