The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2018, 12:17 AM   #1
Traveller11

What is a Hangfire in Centre Fire Ammunition?

I'm pretty clear on what a hangfire actually is but what I'm really interested in is what goes on inside of a cartridge during a hangfire, especially one where the cartridge seems to fire in a normal fashion once everything "gets going".

The ammo that made me curious is 65 year old milsurp Czech made pistol ammo; poorly stored.

During a hangfire, is it the primer that causes the delay by slow ignition of its composition, or is it the gunpowder that begins to ignite, smoulders for a bit and then ignites in a normal fashion?

If it is the primer that is smouldering, are the gases it produces still sealed from the flash tube by the undetonated portion of the primer, preventing the gunpowder from igniting?
Old March 13, 2018, 12:26 AM   #2
rwilson452

Quote:
I'm pretty clear on what a hangfire actually is but what I'm really interested in is what goes on inside of a cartridge during a hangfire, especially one where the cartridge seems to fire in a normal fashion once everything "gets going".

The ammo that made me curious is 65 year old milsurp Czech made pistol ammo; poorly stored.

During a hangfire, is it the primer that causes the delay by slow ignition of its composition, or is it the gunpowder that begins to ignite, smoulders for a bit and then ignites in a normal fashion?

If it is the primer that is smouldering, are the gases it produces still sealed from the flash tube by the undetonated portion of the primer, preventing the gunpowder from igniting?
Either can happen but I think the main charge fuming a bit is the main culprit. Moisture leaking in around the case mouth is the cause.
Old March 13, 2018, 08:48 AM   #3
243winxb

the gunpowder that begins to ignite, smoulders for a bit and then ignites in a normal fashion.

I am going with this.
Old March 13, 2018, 12:21 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

The primer is ignited with percussion. Once that's done, no more percussion is added. The flame produced by that percussion is the only thing that ignites the powder. If the powder is damp or otherwise not igniting immediately, it's a hang fire. So it's the powder that fizzles then ignites.
Old March 13, 2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Bayou

I've only experienced one hangfire: a while back I was given a round of 45 acp ammunition date stamped 1916. I should have kept it, but I foolishly put it in a Ruger Blackhawk to fire it.

The hangfire occurred when, after the pin hit the primer, the primer ignited, and it could be heard. But there was no bang. I cautiously kept the pistol pointed in a safe direction, and a fraction of a second later, the powder detonated.

Wish I would have kept that 100 year old round live...

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old March 15, 2018, 02:07 AM   #6
chris in va

Happened a few times with some 'SMG' ammo for the CZ52 I had. Click....bang. I was shocked how many times it happened, probably 1 in 10.