The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2018, 03:51 PM   #51
Ruger45LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator
IMO, there is virtually NO chance that those loads are within SAAMI pressure max for the 357 SIG. I would go as far as to say that you are putting yourself and others in grave danger with those loads.

You may say I'm nuts, and you've shot a million of 'em and such, but the XTP is a bullet known to make higher pressures than other bullets due to the pure copper jackets on them. If you study Hornady load data for their bullets and compare it to other manufacturers you can see that one generally uses less powder with an XTP vs other softer bullets like the Speer DCHP for example.

Add to that that you are using .357" bullets in a .355" bore and it's a recipe for disaster.

Be safe.
Yes thanks for the heads up, but people have loaded the 38 Super with actual .357" bullets for years and years, even some use them in 9mm. I'm not the only person to have loaded 357 bullets in the 357 SIG, thankfully, because otherwise "proper" bullet selection would be terrible. Yes the loads are stout, but I've pushed the limits with .40, 10mm, .45 Super and others with all my digits still intact.

The only reason I posted what I did was to show what the 357 SIG is capable of, what its potential is, which just so happens to be quite a bit more than the 9mm. Many say there's not much difference, when the difference is a good bit bigger than most think. Maybe someone wants a cartridge that can do very well with store bought ammo but if they reload, that they can take it out into the woods and have the assurance that the round will do it's job as long as they do theirs, nothing more.

People are responsible for their own handloads, I mean the .44 Mag or 454 Casull wouldn't have happened if not for very warmly loaded 44 Specials and 45 Colts. Heck the 10mm only gained in popularity due to guys pushing the envelope of what the cartridge can do, and I'd wager most upper end boutique 10mm is over SAAMI spec as well.

Last edited by Ruger45LC; March 13, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old March 13, 2018, 05:49 PM   #52
JGKC9AYC

See next post
Old March 13, 2018, 05:52 PM   #53
JGKC9AYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
And:

It should be clear that folks here advocate for the 9mm as the way for you to go. Based on your criteria it's also the clear choice. Get the Glock 19. But that's advice from here, in the end you'll get what you really want. Which, it looks like, is the Sig. Sometimes you get what you need and later get what you want. But it also matters on what you need and want the gun for and how urgent that need.

If you have been qualifying for the Department of Corrections handgun use what gun and caliber were you using?

tipoc
S&W Model 66
Old March 16, 2018, 11:49 AM   #54
stephen426

I think it really comes down to what scenarios you are likely to encounter. There is no arguing that the .357 Sig is more powerful than 9mm, but is it the right cartridge for you? You already mentioned price, capacity, and recoil. What about the platform? My first gun was a Sig P228 in 9mm. While it was a great gun, I don't like DA/SA trigers and switched to a Glock 26. For the range, the nice clean break of the Sig P228 was preferable, but I prefer Glock's consistent trigger pull from the first shot to the last. With the Ghost Pro Trigger, the trigger pull is MUCH better. The Glock has a lower bore axis and the Glock 19 is lighter. I really prefer the Glock for carry, so you could always get a Glock 23 and get the .357 Sig conversion barrel.
Old March 16, 2018, 03:53 PM   #55
tipoc

OK, thanks.
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:20 PM   #56
JGKC9AYC

I've shot the Sig P229, a W. German P220, and a Glock 19.
While my accuracy @ 20 yds. was non-existent, I did seem to shoot the P220 the best at closer ranges.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:55 PM   #57
stephen426

@JGKC9AYC,

Accuracy is based on many things. One advantage the P220 offers is the longer sight radius compared to the other guns you listed. Glock’s “ball and goal post” sights are great for rapid target acquisition, but not as good for precision. Sig’s bar-dot sight is great for horizontal alignment.

The other advantage is the trigger pull. While the P220 and P229 should have similar trigger pulls, either gun in single action is “cleaner” than a stock Glock trigger. I’m not knocking the Glock, but it does take a little bit to get used to the trigger.
Old March 17, 2018, 05:26 PM   #58
JGKC9AYC

Both Sigs have the Trijicon sights.
The Glock, I was told, had some sort of trigger job.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:03 PM   #59
stephen426

The P220 is full size compared to the P229 so the sight radius is still greater. Even with a trigger job on the Glock, the single action on a P220/P229 is had to beat. I have the Ghost Pro on my Glock 43 and it is much better than stock. I don’t believe it is better than the single action trigger on my P229 though.

Last edited by stephen426; March 18, 2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:29 PM   #60
JGKC9AYC

I tried to post some pics on what happened with the 229 at 20 yds., but I guess they're too large to post here.
Anyway, they were over a foot low and to the right.