The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 11, 2015, 10:01 PM   #1
HistoryJunky

Carrying extra mags

I am looking into carrying my 2 spare magazines for my CCW pistol. I am not necessarily looking into this because I think I will need them.

Right now, my primary carry gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 full size. The weight doesn't really bother me, just having the extra weight on one side. I was thinking of getting a dual magazine holder and putting it on the other side of my belt.

Does anyone do this, and if so does it help offset that weight on one side feeling?
Old December 11, 2015, 10:20 PM   #2
TXAZ

I sometimes carry an extra mag, but it's already inside a second weapon on the opposite side, for balance as you indicated. It also makes the small bulge more symmetric on both sides.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 11, 2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

I found that it did help. I also carry a flashlight on that side.
Old December 12, 2015, 12:21 AM   #4
HistoryJunky

Glenn E. Meyer I found that it did help. I also carry a flashlight on that side.

I do carry a flashlight as well. It usually ends up in a pocket somewhere. I have been meaning to get a pouch for it to go on my belt. I would imagine between the weight of a flashlight and a loaded magazine that would equal out pretty well.

TXAZ I sometimes carry an extra mag, but it's already inside a second weapon on the opposite side, for balance as you indicated. It also makes the small bulge more symmetric on both sides.

I was considering the possibility of carrying an extra pistol as well. I am purchasing a Shield .40 in less than a month. That may be an option.
Old December 12, 2015, 02:01 AM   #5
WC145

I usually carry a steel Colt Gov't or Commander OWB and always carry two spare mags opposite but not for balance, that's bonus. I carry spare mags because, 1- you never know when you're going to need a reload and, 2- the magazine is the weakest link in any semiauto.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 14, 2015, 08:51 PM   #6
HistoryJunky

I have considered carrying 2 extra mags in a magazine holder on my belt. Do they make IWB magazine holders?

By carrying 2 extra magazines I'd have 45 rounds on hand. Not a bad thing I suppose.
Old December 14, 2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Nanuk

Always carry minimum of 2 reloads.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 14, 2015, 10:56 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

There are IWB mag holders - google it. I don't recall where I saw them when browsing equipment.
Old December 14, 2015, 11:23 PM   #9
drobs

I usually only carry 1 backup mag for my G19 or FN Hi Power.
For the G19, I use a Fobus Paddle Single Mag Pouch. For my FN HP I have leather single mag pouch that uses the old style metal clip.

Not a fan of Fobus Holsters but their mag pouches are good to go. I place them on the opposite side like you mentioned. Bullets pointed to the front or towards my belt buckle.
Old December 20, 2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Brit

The carrying of gear, pertaining to your every day pistol carry, is not done lightly, in my opinion.

The type of carry devices, for a spare magazine, or light, has to be secure, not bulky, and quite light.

A lot of posters here like the Glock 19, me too. I carry OTB 3-30PM? The opposite side, a G17 magazine, and a Surefire bottom button flash light.

Glock make cheap, and quite strong mag pouches. For the G17 mag, just a little trim, here and there, for the flash light? Sit the pouch in the kitchen sink, run the hot tap on it, keep pushing the lens part of the light into it, till it fits.

The mag is the first thing you feel, light behind it. Bullets face the front.
Wilderness 1".5" frequent flier belt, they last for ever.

Having the extra ammo is OK, but more for malfunctions, than the extra 17 rounds. Having said that, I have never had a malfunction in my Gen4 Glock 19.
Old December 20, 2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Jim243

Quote:
Does anyone do this, and if so does it help offset that weight on one side feeling?
Yes, I use my IDPA mag holder which holds 2 additional mags on the opposite side of my pistol.

Stay safe.
Jim
Old December 20, 2015, 11:16 AM   #12
HistoryJunky

Thanks for all the responses. I will have to use my GoogleFu to find an IWB magazine holder, and maybe a flashlight holder.

Right now I'm carrying my MP .40 FS, 1 extra magazine in the pocket(until I get a holder), flashlight in a separate pocket, pocket knife, cell phone, wallet, keys.

Using an Uncle Mikes reinforced instructors belt and Alien gear Cloak tuck 2.0 IWB holster.
Old December 21, 2015, 09:58 AM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

It does help, yes. More balanced. But I already have a very good belt to begin with. BrownCoat Tactical. I haven't used another belt in years.

I carry a SIG P229 or P226 and sometimes even BOTH! Along with 2 spare 20 round magazines. Never an issue.
Old December 21, 2015, 04:57 PM   #14
hartcreek

I select coats with chest pockets. Flashlight and a mag goes in the left pocket and two more mags in the right pocket. My shirts are mostly two pocket flannels so my wallet goes in my left shirt pocket and my cell phone goes in my right with another mag or two. My Star goes either cross draw shoulder or IWB cross draw.
Old December 21, 2015, 06:37 PM   #15
stephen426

I created my own mag pouch using a tyvex shipping envelope, wrapped in a shipping envelope, wrapped in duct tape. It is sized perfectly so the mags stick up about half an inch. I have the mag separated with staples under the duct tape. I made it for a specific event I had to be at, but it has lasted me years! I'll try and take a picture of it and upload it.
Old December 22, 2015, 11:31 AM   #16
45Gunner

One would hope they never get into a fire fight. But, if it ever came to that, the one that runs out of ammo first is usually the loser.

Up until the most recent past, I always carried a 1911 (eight in the magazine and one in the chamber) and two spare 8 round magazines in a dual mag holder. Given that statistically most fire fights are within 8 feet and most often with only one BG, two at the most, my gun and ammo supply would be adequate.

Given the events the recent times, i.e. Paris and CA, multiple attackers with multiple rounds, I am beginning to rethink what I carry. I am now experimenting with 13 to 17 round guns with dual mag carriers. The problem I am having is the conceal-ability issues. These type guns are double stack whereas my 1911 is a single stack. I prefer strong side OWB carry and have no intention of changing that style as I have spent a lifetime training from that position. As much as I am not a Glock fan, I am leaning towards a Glock 17, yet I am deadly accurate with my 1911.

Decisions, decisions!??
NRA Life Member
Old December 22, 2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Sharkbite

Quote:
I am leaning towards a Glock 17, yet I am deadly accurate with my 1911.
I shoot a 1911 better then my EDC Glock 19, but the additional rounds in the gun plus each reload carrying 2x the ammo...plus the additional simplicity and reliability make the G19 a winner for a EDC self-defense pistol
Old December 22, 2015, 02:04 PM   #18
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Gunner
One would hope they never get into a fire fight. But, if it ever came to that, the one that runs out of ammo first is usually the loser.
I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement. The one that usually wins is the one who gets a good solid hit on the target first! Few gun fights last more than a few shots (unless you're the police).

In a mass shooting type scenario, The best thing is to try getting away and find cover rather than directly engaging. If the shooter is really close, than there is little choice but to engage immediately.
Old December 22, 2015, 02:47 PM   #19
chimo

TRU-SPEC Men's Lightweight 24-7 Pant (they have a heavier cotton version too) have a mag/utility pocket in each of the cargo pockets.

Crossbreed IWB mag pouches might also do the trick for you.
Old December 23, 2015, 12:08 AM   #20
45Gunner

Quote:
The one that usually wins is the one who gets a good solid hit on the target first!
True, without a doubt...when you are opposing one or two BG's. However, if you are involved in a multi BG scenario such as the world has witnessed recently, accuracy is always important and we all know a slow hit is better than a fast miss.
The amount of ammo becomes a key factor.

I base my feelings on my experiences. When engaged with a heavily armed enemy, my biggest fear was always running out of ammo. When that happens, you become overrun and lose. There are no resets. My buddies and I would always hump as much ammo as possible while on patrols even to the point of carrying a little less food. We could wait for food to be dropped in but we could never spare the time to wait for an ammo resupply.
NRA Life Member
Old December 24, 2015, 12:57 PM   #21
9x45

I only carry full size Glocks with one extra mag in a horizontal pouch.

Safariland 123.

Old December 24, 2015, 10:02 PM   #22
egor20

I carry a S&W 469 in a horizontal shoulder holster so I basically have to carry 2 extra magazines or I have tendency to list to port if I don't.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 24, 2015, 10:31 PM   #23
9x45

egor, what's your first show draw time with that rig?
Old December 26, 2015, 11:23 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

The thread is about equipment specifics and not about the viable of handgun vs. rifle or tactics in a shooting. We are doing that in other threads.

So, I've deleted a restart of that, with no offense. Let's stick to the gadgets and gear.
Old December 26, 2015, 11:44 AM   #25
Mannlicher

I have always felt it prudent to carry extra mags. With my XDS, Springfield thoughtfully provided me with a two mag belt holder. Works just fine.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan