The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 14, 2018, 04:00 PM   #26
No, but sneaky assassins in movies use silencers so they must be bad.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:21 AM   #27
44 AMP
Still not sure why suppressors are NFA
Because the original drafts of the NFA 34 restricted machine guns, sawed off shotguns & rifles, and handguns. (I believe all handguns).

Someone shrewdly advised the sponsors that if handguns were included, the bill would never pass. So they re-wrote part of it, removing handguns and substituting "silencers" instead.

Now, you also need to know a few things about the times. Some of them are mentioned in some histories, many aren't.

First off, there was no watchdog group to warn the public about the proposed law. Don't blame the NRA for that, either. Second, the regulated items were only a small fraction of guns, most people weren't owners.

And, third, something that almost never gets mention, is that even after the law passed, and survived a Supreme Count challenge (which is a different argument) it wasn't particularly onerous aside from the $ amount of the tax.

Because, it was a tax law. Yes, the criminal provisions were in there, but for decades, it was enforced as a tax matter. Meaning, (most of the time) if it was an honest "oops, I din't know that was the law" (and many didn't) you paid the tax, got the stamp, and you were good from then on (and you kept your gun).

I think it wasn't until the later 60s when it was decided that policy would change to criminal prosecution as the standard. There was an amnesty period of (I think) 6 months, where they would allow items to be registered and tax paid without any other penalty, but after that expired, criminal prosecution became the standard policy.

Silencers/suppressors shouldn't be NFA items but they got away with putting them in and getting the law passed, so they are. And, after the Supreme Court ruled "we have been shown no evidence..." the entire NFA was treated as valid and unchallengeable. And so its been, ever since.
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #28
Gary L. Griffiths
I do not see every bump stock owner want to march on the capitol in anger and opposition
And there you have it. Back when I was driving a diesel pusher motorhome, I used to be frustrated that diesel fuel, cheaper to produce than gasoline, was higher at the pump than even premium gas. One trucker put it rather succinctly, "When gas prices are high, thousands of drivers call their congressmen. When diesel prices are high, dozens of truckers call their congressmen."
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #29
Well one thing I heard recently was a statement from someone at the ATF indicating suppressors were practically never used in crimes, but were to blame for requiring lots of resources. Was coming up because of trump being criticized for allocating funds to speed up the process.

Would be nice if while they are going around in circles on fixing the background checks (and using more resources there) they would push for ways to streamline various other things (and use less resources) like suppressors.

Hell even if we could just fill out a form and pay the tax stamp on the firearm part, without all the waiting/"processing" BS, it would be a huge improvement.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #30
Most gun owners will not participate in marches, or anything political really because they would put their jobs and the family’s income in jeopardy.
You can be vocal for one side, but not the other. You can say people don’t get fired for political reasons but they do.

I suspect that most bump stocks that are out there rarely get used. I’m also sure that the percentage of gun owners that actually own bump stocks is pretty low.