The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 9, 2018, 08:31 PM   #26
Bob Wright

As a matter of interest regarding porting, Winchester Auto Comp powder is specifically designed, per their literature, to work with ported barrels by providing more gas pressure to work with the compensators:

Quote:
Winchester spherical powders are known for their consistent burn rates and clean burning characteristics and are widely used for reloading shotshell,handgun, and rifle ammunition. As the name implies, this powder is designed to deliver optimum performance in compensated race guns. AutoComp has been formulated to help the compensator work more efficiently while it minimizes muzzle flash to help with rapid fire. Highly recommended for 38 Super, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

Bob Wright
Old March 9, 2018, 09:11 PM   #27
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
As a matter of interest regarding porting, Winchester Auto Comp powder is specifically designed, per their literature, to work with ported barrels by providing more gas pressure to work with the compensators:

Bob Wright
Yes, but it's not magic, and the reduction in muzzle rise it provides is typical of a powder that uses the same charge weight. Therefore, it does not provide an extra huge amount of gas compared to other powders.
Old March 10, 2018, 07:06 AM   #28
hemiram

I had a Tanfoglio 9mm (Not a Witness, nor was it from an EAA predecessor) that was ported. It was amazingly easy to shoot, but it was a hassle to clean, so I sold it to a friend who surprisingly still has it sitting in his safe. It hasn't been shot in like a decade, because it was a hassle to clean compared to a non-ported gun. If it was Wonder or SS, I would buy it, as I have a non-ported 4.7" barrel for it sitting in my parts drawer, but it's blued and isn't nearly as pretty as it was back in 2000 or so when I had it.
Old March 21, 2018, 04:52 PM   #29
ThomasT

A few years ago a local gunshop had a S&W model 19 that had been Magnaported. Nobody would buy it. And it was priced to sell. He finally lowered the price around $70 lower and someone bought it.

I had a Taurus Tracker 4" barrel in 44 mag that had the Taurus porting. I never did like it. I really liked the gun but hated the porting. I sold it. Have thought about buying another but so far have not done it. I treated it like a 44 Special and kept the speed down to a 1000fps or so. I did shoot a few 44 mags but couldn't tell if it helped that much. It was a light weight gun for a 44 mag and did kick a little.
Old March 22, 2018, 08:56 PM   #30
Tom-R2

I bought a used Glock 23C. I don't think it had ever been shot, and it also had a Bar-Sto .357Sig barrel too. I didn't like the blast of burning powder to the face when shooting indoors. I was using mostly handloads, but I would have really risked damage to my eyes from the blast. I didn't have that issue with the 357Sig barrel. It didn't seem quite as bad shooting outside. I purchased an aftermarket 40cal barrel without ports that greatly reduced the blast to the face so I now have the option of ported or not ported when I go to a range. But I think if I used the pistol with the ported barrel for self defense carry, I could risk a blast to my eyes, interfering with my ability to continue to shoot if necessary if I didn't have my glasses on. It's not likely, but it's something I do have a little control over. So I'm planning on using the ported barrel for outside range, and the regular barrels for concealed carry.