The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 22, 2016, 04:12 PM   #1
M1ke10191

Flying with pistol from Newark to Charlotte

Ok here we go. I have an interview coming up outside of Charlotte in a few days. With the chaos happening there that I'm flying into the eye of, I want to bring my CCW with me. Here are the steps for my flight and I was looking for some guidance as to whether or not each step was legal.

I will not have the gun on my person until I'm in NC and I possess an unrestricted NY state CCW. It will be in my luggage the whole way there.

1. I'm taking the train from upstate NY into NYC then transferring to another train to Newark. So I have to go through NYC with my firearm. Is this legal? I know my CCW is not valid in NYC but I will not be carrying it, I will simply be transporting it unloaded in my locked case inside my luggage.

2. Once I'm in NJ, my permit is not honored there. Is it legal to have a pistol at Newark airport even if I'm not carrying it?

3. Finally, there is still reciprocity for my permit in NC, correct? I can CC there just fine once I'm down there?

The bag will be checked both ways so I'm not really worried about the actual airport regulations, more the transport to and from.

Thank you guys for any help you can offer. I don't want to do anything illegal here so I want to make sure I know the laws. I know it's not legal advice but I figured I'd start here.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by M1ke10191; September 22, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old September 22, 2016, 05:10 PM   #2
TXAZ

You really need to check this for yourself.
Google CHL reciprocity and find out NYC actual rules. You are betting your livelihood.
The advice from well meaning people on the internet could be expensive.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 22, 2016, 05:14 PM   #3
FITASC

What happens when you go to declare your gun in NJ without the required NJ permit? Does that create an issue?

Yes, there are currently issues in Charlotte. Is your interview in the area where the discord is happening? IDK, but maybe it is best to leave it at home. What about your return trip> You have to go back to NJ and then again through NYC?

There have been plenty of horror stories about folks getting stuck in NYC with guns and going to jail because of delays/layovers on flights - does that happen with trains?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2016, 05:18 PM   #4
KenL

Check your airline and airport restrictions for traveling with a firearm. There are several forum posts here with a ton of information--how to declare, what to have copies of, etc. Also, check the train regulations. I'm assuming (big assumption here) that they have similar TSA restrictions, but I am not sure.

For air travel, you will have to declare that there is a firearm in your checked luggage. It will take some time to check the bag, as TSA generally does an inspection. May be similar with the train folks, but again read their regulations and their do's and don'ts.

Allow yourself an extra hour each time you check the luggage, just to be safe.
Old September 22, 2016, 05:35 PM   #5
JWT

The NJ portion of the trip could be very 'risky" in my opinion.
Old September 22, 2016, 05:47 PM   #6
rwilson452

If that train travel is on an AMTRAK train I think you have a problem. If I'm correct AMTRAK has a total no guns policy. I would check with them.
Old September 22, 2016, 05:55 PM   #7
M1ke10191

I'm probably not even going to bother since there are way too many grey areas. If I was driving down, sure, but I'm not.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
Old September 22, 2016, 06:18 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1ke10191
Is it legal to have a pistol at Newark airport even if I'm not carrying it?
Short answer: NO.

Slightly longer answer: ONLY if you never touch it or attempt to retrieve it. IOW the airline must have it in their custody at all times.

Read what THIS TFL THREAD says about Revell v. Port Authority of New York & New Jersey. More info may be found if you google the case name.

NJ LE does NOT mess around with respect to handguns possessed by folks without a valid NJ permit, and if you lack that permit, you should NOT voluntarily retrieve a baggage-checked handgun in NJ under any circumstances.
Old September 22, 2016, 06:22 PM   #9
DaleA

It’s frustrating trying to be a ‘good guy’ and live within the labyrinth of laws we have allowed to be constructed around us.
Old September 22, 2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
....I have to go through NYC with my firearm. Is this legal? I know my CCW is not valid in NYC but I will not be carrying it, I will simply be transporting it unloaded in my locked case inside my luggage....
I believe it's illegal to have a handgun in your possession in New York City unless you have a New York City handgun permit. Does anyone have other information?

Quote:
....I have to go through NYC with my firearm. Is this legal? I know my CCW is not valid in NYC but I will not be carrying it, I will simply be transporting it unloaded in my locked case inside my luggage....
The problem is that under applicable federal precedent the transportation provisions of the FOPA protect only transportation of a gun by vehicle.

Quote:
....there is still reciprocity for my permit in NC, correct? I can CC there just fine once I'm down there?....
According to handgunlaw.us you're okay.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 22, 2016, 08:05 PM   #11
JimPage

OP is definitely on thin ice. I would not take my pistol.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 23, 2016, 05:53 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It appears that the OP has decided not to take the firearm, and I think that's the only prudent decision. Mike, I don't think there are any "gray" areas at all. Your NY state permit is not valid in NYC, and it is not valid in New Jersey. You are not driving through NYC, so the FOPA wouldn't cover you, and the gun isn't legal for you to have in New Jersey at all. Carguychris beat me to mentioning the Gregg Revell case, which occurred at Newark Airport.

Don't even risk it, the odds are very much against you.
Old September 23, 2016, 06:11 AM   #13
AirForceShooter

Your STATE CCW is no good in NYC.

Your NY CCW is worthless in NJ.

The Port Authority which runs the Newark Airport is ruthless about gun owners.

Frankly leave it home.

AFS
Old September 23, 2016, 12:22 PM   #14
g.willikers

Judging from the latest news stories, the protesting and near riots have slowed down.
You might just wait a few days before going there.
Most of the protestors seem to be from out of town.
It might not take long for them to run out of steam and go home.
Besides, other than the original victim and a protestor, there's been no reports of anyone else getting shot as of today.
You're probably at more risk during the train ride.
There are plenty of other types of weapons besides firearms, and many wouldn't earn a second glance.
Old September 28, 2016, 03:39 PM   #15
Bowdog

X New Yorker here. I left NY because of the gun laws. I had a CC Permit in Sullivan County NY. Also gave CC classes. All of up state NY was good to go. But the city is a no-no. Jersey will lock you up and you will miss your flight. The North East is not gun friendly. So I moved to Tennessee. Great place low taxes and sensible gun laws.
Old October 9, 2016, 12:31 PM   #16
Davey

Leave the gun at home. Crush the interview and move to America when you get the job.
Old October 9, 2016, 12:33 PM   #17
FITASC

So, did the OP get the job???????
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 9, 2016, 04:56 PM   #18
Davey

Wow. Didn't realize how old this was.