The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 11, 2014, 02:24 AM   #51
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I don't think they are. If asked, I guarantee his supporters think the SAFE Act is a good law; they just don't want their friend to suffer for it.
Tom, the guys friends are making the same arguments that the pro-gun community makes, and the article cited in the OP even says so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaitkowski, Michael, and Lankes
“The more they make these gun-free zones, the more they make people vulnerable to mass killers like at Columbine and Sandy Hook,” said Stephen J. Aldstadt, a Colden resident who serves as president of the state Shooters Committee on Political Education.

Some of Ferguson’s supporters echoed similar criticism, saying that carrying a weapon meant Ferguson could have helped police in the event there was a gunman actually threatening students.

“Dwayne probably was in a position to help the police not knowing that he was the one they were looking for,” said George Johnson, president of Buffalo United Front,
This is the hypocracy we are talking about. They are using our arguments to try to justify what the guy did. It's easy to demonize gun owners until one of your own finds himself in the spotlight...
Old February 11, 2014, 08:37 AM   #52
steve4102

Does NY law allow for a Permit Holder to carry on school property with special permission? Some states do.

If so, I wonder if this "permission" will magically appear in the coming days/weeks.
Old February 11, 2014, 09:46 AM   #53
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Brown and Brinkworth also revealed new details about the incident, which started with an anonymous call to the school and culminated with an extensive search by the SWAT team.

The school received the call about 4:15 p.m. notifying staff that someone had entered the school with a gun. Brown and Brinkworth said it is not yet clear who placed the call. Around that time, 911 received two calls about the incident, prompting the school to go into lockdown and touching off a search of the building by police and SWAT team responders.
This is quite curious. If someone saw the gun on him, was concerned and made the call, it would seem they would be willing to step forward.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:33 AM   #54
Colt46

Not so curious

Political power is a funny thing. I'm thinking an enemy knows who he was and that he regularly carried.
Stepping forward would put them under the spotlight and this guy probably has the clout to come after the reporting party with the full weight of the local political machine.

Speculation on my part.
I'm also speculating that our good public servant will do no time in jail and get off with nary a hiccup.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:30 AM   #55
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
I understand the points the TFL members are making but I don't "assume" this guy is fully anti-2A or anti-gun. I think his beliefs are geared more towards ending gun violence & gang activity in the local schools/youth groups.
Honestly, this tells me that you don't know what the unSAFE Act is. Look it up, then tell me that someone who supports it doesn't support "all" gun control.

You should also check on how much of this "gun violence" is happening in NY, outside the gang controlled inner cities, how much of even THAT violence is happening with "Assault weapons" and how many of those criminals are going to down-load their magazines from 10 to 7 rounds. (The answer to all three questions is, none.)

Of course, "all" is not literal. He may not support armed confiscation with executions for anyone who so mush as mentions resistance and every firearm crushed in the streets by bulldozers but we know what "all" means, right?
Old February 11, 2014, 01:28 PM   #56
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They are using our arguments to try to justify what the guy did. It's easy to demonize gun owners until one of your own finds himself in the spotlight.
Perhaps, but only as long as it suits them. If you or I were in Ferguson's situation, they'd be screaming for the book to be thrown at us.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:42 AM   #57
Cnon

Quote:
Tom Said: Perhaps, but only as long as it suits them. If you or I were in Ferguson's situation, they'd be screaming for the book to be thrown at us.

Darn, right Tom

Cnon
Old February 12, 2014, 08:31 AM   #58
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Not so curious
Political power is a funny thing. I'm thinking an enemy knows who he was and that he regularly carried.
Stepping forward would put them under the spotlight and this guy probably has the clout to come after the reporting party with the full weight of the local political machine.
That's why it's curious (to me). Makes me think there is more to the story than someone seeing that he had a gun and actually being concerned. This should not change how and whether the law should be enforced against him, but makes the story even more interesting.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:21 AM   #59
DeadMoneyDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorer-at-Law View Post
That's why it's curious (to me). Makes me think there is more to the story than someone seeing that he had a gun and actually being concerned.
Indeed this story is full of holes.

It is also gaining some attention. It was featured this morning on the Bizarre Files, a segment of oddball news stories on the morning radio show on WMMR out of Philadelphia. The hosts got a good chuckle out of how this guy is facing possible charges under a law that he pushed to pass.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:02 PM   #60
Hal

Wouldn't it be ironic if the guy had flipped his nut and planned on taking hostages or something?

Everybody says he's such a great guy, but, you always hear that about some scum bag that goes on a spree.

I guess we'll all just have to wait until Friday when he's supposed to be arraigned.
Old February 12, 2014, 01:06 PM   #61
44 AMP
Staff

I am waiting for the internet release of "his diary" with pages alternating between "love peace hugs & kisses" and "kill kill kill KILL!"
Old February 12, 2014, 04:27 PM   #62
wogpotter

He walked with no bail.
I'm not surprised.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 13, 2014, 04:47 AM   #63
Dreaming100Straight

What a bunch of BS. Per the article he regularly carries and at the time was carrying in a holster, had he forgotten he must of realized that he was carrying when he found out why the school was in lockdown, but the police had to search him to discover he was the guy.

I don't think he is anti-gun, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I don't believe he forgot.
Old February 13, 2014, 09:19 AM   #64
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming100Straight View Post
What a bunch of BS. Per the article he regularly carries and at the time was carrying in a holster, had he forgotten he must of realized that he was carrying when he found out why the school was in lockdown, but the police had to search him to discover he was the guy.

I don't think he is anti-gun, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I don't believe he forgot.

He certainly didn't forget. I don't care how comfortable your carry method is, you don't "forget" there's a 2+ lb weight on your body.

I say again, if you think this guy isn't anti-gun, review the unSAFE Act that he supports and tell me how someone who supports that monstrosity isn't antigun. I'd love to hear that argument made. Of course they'll tell you they're anti "violence" or "pro children" but it really doesn't matter how they spin it. If I think no one should be able to buy any fishing pole except the WalMart Snoopy pole, am I not anti fishing pole? Does it matter if I happen to own a very nice fly rod? No, it makes me a liar and a hypocrite.

Those are the only two relevant "qualities" this guy has.
Old February 13, 2014, 10:04 AM   #65
steve4102

4.12 in Ferguson says the Safe Act is not enough and needs to go further. Also claims he was not aware that it was illegal to carry a firearm on school grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2gb5cNHruk
Old February 13, 2014, 10:13 AM   #66
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Oh... a third (and fourth) relevant quality.... Ignorant, yet opinionated.

Carrying on school grounds was illegal BEFORE the unSAFE Act. So, he didn't know what the law was BEFORE, he doesn't know what the law is NOW but he has the *opinion* that it's not enough and needs to go further.

But folks claim he's not anti-gun. Right.
Old February 13, 2014, 10:44 AM   #67
Tom Servo
Staff

The Gun Free School Zone Act passed in 1990. There are conspicuous signs at every school I've ever seen. I'd imagine a gun-control activist would be aware of its existence.
Old February 13, 2014, 12:31 PM   #68
SHE3PDOG

That really gets my blood boiling. He gets off free of charge for committing a felony that any of us would be burned at the stake for. Furthermore, he claims ignorance of the law that he was backing. What a tool.

I'm glad one of his friends clearly stabbed him in the back by informing the school that he was carrying. That is pretty much the only explanation for that.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 13, 2014, 01:06 PM   #69
44 AMP
Staff

Quite clearly a case of "the law is for thee, not for me..."
Old February 13, 2014, 01:47 PM   #70
sixgunluv

UnSafe Act

Gotta keep this story alive, think we will see it on CNN?
Old February 13, 2014, 02:09 PM   #71
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
That really gets my blood boiling. He gets off free of charge for committing a felony that any of us would be burned at the stake for. Furthermore, he claims ignorance of the law that he was backing.
He was released on his own recognisance without having to post bail (i.e., not a flight risk). The charges have not been dropped.

Quote:
I'm glad one of his friends clearly stabbed him in the back by informing the school that he was carrying. That is pretty much the only explanation for that.
It is POSSIBLE that the "man with a gun" report was not about him and he just got caught as they searched everyone before they could leave the building. Don't know if a description was given by whoever called in the report.
Old February 13, 2014, 02:43 PM   #72
ClydeFrog

Updates?....

Any news or updates on this incident?
Old February 13, 2014, 03:52 PM   #73
KyJim

He was also charged with lying to police about whether he had a gun. At about 2:20 on the YouTube video, the reporter asks:

Quote:
Question: They asked you if you had a gun and you said no.

Answer: No police officer asked me at all, about did I have a gun with a permit, at all. No police officer asked me that at all.
So apparently, it's not a gun if you have a permit. So why would you not tell the police you had a gun if you forgot you had it and didn't know it was against the law to be carrying inside the school?
Old February 13, 2014, 04:36 PM   #74
Hal

Quote:
Any news or updates on this incident?
The arraignment is Friday so we won't know until then.
Old February 14, 2014, 02:41 AM   #75
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
He was released on his own recognisance without having to post bail (i.e., not a flight risk). The charges have not been dropped.
Thanks for the clarification, that was my misunderstanding. The other parts of the story are still quite upsetting though.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms