The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2008, 08:09 PM   #1
allgrainer

Help With RCBS Trim Pro

I am having a problem trimming 9mm and 40 s&w brass. I have the correct shell holders for both but both of the mentioned calibers do not seem to want to slide into the holder for trimming. They go in about half way no further. I thought at first I had some cheap brass. I ordered some once fired brass in the 40 cal and tried this evening and I ran into the same problem. I am somewhat new to reloading and these 2 calibers seem to be giving me problems. I have no problems with trimming 357mag in the trim pro with the proper holder. I know I need to have a consistent length for proper bullet seating / headspacing. Can anyone help me out on this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Old December 5, 2008, 08:28 PM   #2
rn22723

I have to wonder why are you trimming handgun brass? I have not ever trimmed straight walled handgun brass. I have been loading since 1973. Rifle brass yeah! Of course when I had a TC single shot handgun the brass from the 22.250 needed trimming.
Old December 5, 2008, 08:44 PM   #3
allgrainer

speer manual says that the brass should be trim to 0.840. Some of the brass is longer than that and needs trimmed down. Should I not be doing this?
Old December 5, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Sport45

How much longer?

I'm with rn22723. I never trim or measure my handgun brass.
Old December 6, 2008, 06:27 AM   #5
allgrainer

usually just a few thousands longer than the recomended case length. From what I am reading from you folks is that I don't need to be trimming my 40 or 9 mm brass. How would this affect the headspacing and bullet seating? Both of these will be ran thru automatics.
Old December 6, 2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

"From what I am reading from you folks is that I don't need to be trimming my 40 or 9 mm brass."
That's correct. Like the others, I've never trimmed taper crimped handgun brass, never needed to. I have only very rarely trimmed rolled crimp cases.

"speer manual says that the brass should be trim to 0.840."
Notice also that the Speer manual says that the Max. Case Length is .850" Unless your cases are at or over that length do you even need to start thinking about trimming. (I'm still not sure I would trim .850" .40's.)

"How would this affect the headspacing and bullet seating?"
Not trimming won't noticeably affect those two at all. Usually cases become unusable for other reasons before their length comes into play.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:56 AM   #7
allgrainer

This discusion has helped me a lot. I will load a few and see how it comes out, without trimming any brass. On the other hand if I do need to trim, the brass does not want to go in the trim pro with the proper shell holder in place do any of you folks know what this problem could be?
Old December 6, 2008, 12:12 PM   #8
RidgwayCO

The other problem with trimming handgun brass is that it tends to shrink with use. So if you start out with brass that has been trimmed to minimum length, it often ends up shorter than minimum after the second or third reloading...

If you MUST trim your handgun brass (and it usually isn't necessary, unless you want truely-uniform roll crimps), I recommend a trim length only .005" less than the maximum, instead of the "standard trim length" which is .01" less.
Old December 6, 2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I can't help with the shell holder problem other than to ask if you're sure you are using the correct shell holder. For the .40 S&W, it should be holder #27, and for 9mm Luger it should be #16.

Can you tell what is obstructing the case head from going any further into the holder? Primer? Rim getting stuck?
Old December 6, 2008, 04:02 PM   #10
allgrainer

Yes I have a 27 for the 40 and a 16 for the 9. I can't see anything obstructing the shell on the trim pro or with the holders. The brass appears smooth and even to the eye (no nicks ect) I cleaned all parts in case some dirt was obstructing I made sure all parts were adjusted and in place properly also.
I reloaded some 357mags and trimmed them all to the prescribed uniform length. Doing this seemed to make that batch very accurate or I was just having a good day at the range. Amazingly when I went to start reloading those again some were shorter than what I started with. Looks like I definitely will not be trimming any more of my pistol cartridges.
Old December 6, 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
winchester243

You didn't by chance put the shellholder in backwards did you?

Just trying to come up with ideas.
Old December 6, 2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Sport45

I don't have a Trim Pro so I don't know what locks the shell into the holder for trimming. You might want to make sure it's opening enough to receive the case.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:22 PM   #13
Ricklin

Does the case fit in the shellholder with the shellholder removed from the trimpro fixture?
Old December 7, 2008, 07:28 AM   #14
allgrainer

The shell holder is installed the correct way. Heck I even tried to put it in backward to double check myself no luck there. The case does fit correctly in the shell holder with the holder not on the trim pro. I have also done this. The case will go about half way in and get tighter as it goes. The Trim pro is screwed down tightly to my bench and the release / engage lever is pushed down to what I think could be a breaking point and I am afraid to go any further without bending/breaking something. The mouth is opened as far as possible at this point. The case goes a little over half way in and stops. Is there any adjustment screws on the trim pro that could adjust the opening at the holder area more? I don't think it would take much more to let the shell get to the point it needs for trimming.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:40 AM   #15
WSM MAGNUM

Sounds like you are not using the correct size pilots. For the 9mm, you should be using pilot #35. And for the .40, it should be the #40.
And make sure the adjustment bushings are adjusted to the correct trim length. To make sure the bushing is not stopping it, slide the bushing all the way back. If the case still does not reach the cutter, then you have the wrong size pilots.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old December 7, 2008, 10:02 AM   #16
Lilswede1

Don't u just love it

Everyone has advice but no solution yet.
I can't be of much help either but will try to address the problem this thread started with which was not the length of your case but the fact that it will not fit into the shell holder.
If you have any "new" ammo, try it.
Get the measurements from your reloading manual and then compare that to your cases.
I have had several cases where the base has swelled to the point of being throw aways but that was for my .223.
Last option, take trim pro and sample cases to your local shop and see if anyone can help you. Sometimes 2 heads are really a lot better then one.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:48 AM   #17
allgrainer

The pilot bushings are not a problem. The shell won't insert into the trim pro shell holder. #27 for the 40 and a #16 for the 9mm. These are correct as are the pilots I am using. I was just looking at the trim pro. There is a small indented area in the very center of the compression pin. This had a couple small burrs on it and I removed them with some very light filling. I suspect these burrs were created by me trying to "force" the brass into the holder. (frustration factor kicking in) This did not help either. I tried to place a factory loaded unfired Hornaday 40 in it and the same thing. The primer was not blocking this as it was set in below the base of the brass. Looking at the manual for the trim pro if the actuating rod would extend out just a few thousands more I would not have this problem at all. It seems that this is what I need to happen with this thing. I guess I could take it completely apart when I get some time and look for some internal problem and reassemble the thing. At this point if I destroy it by taking it appart it would give me a good reason to go get something better.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:55 PM   #18
Lilswede1

Better idea

Phone Dillon. Sounds like u dont have enough clearance between the base of the trim pro and the shell holder.
Will the case fit into the holder when it is not mounted on the machine.
Had some problems with my RCBS that I purchased from Dillon - phoned them - they are really great people and also very knowledgeable about anything they sell.
They have never steered me wrong.
800 223-4570 is the assistance no. and even if u didnt buy it from them I am sure they would be glad to help.