The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 12, 2020, 07:57 AM   #26
stagpanther

If you can, borrow a chrono from someone--labradar is the best IMO--and get some readings from that. Using your barrel length and charge size you should be able to get a good idea what approx. pressure you are running at/near. Grendels are really pushing the fine line when you look at the thickness of the bolt breach wall and that's why I would be nervous about pushing them too hot. Most of an AR is overbuilt to withstand higher pressures--so the weak point will be the case head. I've shot thousands of grendel cartridges and they tend to stretch pretty easily in very warm loads, watch for things like primers that go in without much resistance and periodically check to see if the shoulder needs bumping back. I find I have to watch grendel cases more closely for these things than others--like a 6.8Spc case--regardless of what the "give me grendels or give me death" crowd says.
Old June 12, 2020, 09:25 AM   #27
mel80

ive had the primer issue already but that was with an powder that ive had for years i ended up getting rid of the powder either moisture or something got in it and it wasnt right. i havent stretched a primer pocket or case since switching to ppv.

most of the brass im using now has 6/7/8 reloads on it and im starting to split some case necks. but i have been checking case/shoulder on all of it and im good
which reminds me ive got 300 new pieces of brass i need to run threw my case trimmer

as far as chrono data my rifle been 50- 100fps faster depending on bullet for a given published load data depending on bullet could just be my chrono need to borrow friends magnetto speed one of theese days , and invest in a labradar at some point anyways and an annealz machine lol
Old June 13, 2020, 10:00 AM   #28
mel80

i guess the scope issues was my fault , switched over to my 90g tnt profile and it was all back to normal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh33Y7X6qx0
Old June 13, 2020, 07:37 PM   #29
mel80

Alota overkill but got the Creed doing pest control duties tonight 90g tnts moving at 3567fps

Last edited by mel80; June 13, 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old June 13, 2020, 11:33 PM   #30
mel80

and a few shots from tonight , those 90tnts are extra nasty out of the creedmoor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=722FUarmvak
Old June 14, 2020, 12:34 AM   #31
stagpanther

Nice--I see you bought one of those battery packs. I was curious--did you find the on-board battery in the scope eventually starts gradually losing it's ability to hold a charge?
Old June 14, 2020, 01:13 AM   #32
mel80

my 4k hasnt ;lost any ability to hold a charge i use the battery pack on my x sight hd 2 it doesnt have onboard rechargeable batterys , it takes 4x aa batteries and the only ones that last are high quality lithiums and at 4-6 hour run time its gets expensive fast
Old June 14, 2020, 07:04 AM   #33
stagpanther

Ah--didn't notice it was a different scope. Still, a rechargeable can only take so many cycles, have you heard if the newer x-sites can be "refurbished" with a new battery fairly easily?
Old June 14, 2020, 11:38 AM   #34
mel80

iirc the 4k has a 10y or lifetime warrenty on battery , ill dbl check on that for ya
i also meant to tell ya if ur ballistics calc is comming up wrong dbl check ur scope hieght numbers in the scope
Old June 14, 2020, 01:45 PM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
i also meant to tell ya if ur ballistics calc is comming up wrong dbl check ur scope hieght numbers in the scope
Yup--garbage in, garbage out. ; ). Unfortunately when my 1st ABL went down in my desperation I did a factory reset of both the ABL and scope--all my profiles went with it and for some odd reason the stuff on my obsidian 4 app also went with it--I guess it automatically syncs data when you connect it to the scope. Really bugs me I can't connect the LRF app to the scope.
Old June 14, 2020, 01:46 PM   #36
mel80

what i do is keep a spare sd card just for saving my profiles , this way if i ever reset the scope which i do from time to time i just pop in that card and import all my saved settings
Old June 14, 2020, 01:48 PM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
what i do is keep a spare sd card just for saving my profiles , this way if i ever reset the scope which i do from time to time i just pop in that card and import all my saved settings
Yup--I figured that out AFTER I blew all the data away. Oh well, that's how I learn everything--by doing it wrong the first time. LOL
Old June 14, 2020, 02:15 PM   #38
mel80

haha dont worry when i first got mine , i screwed up alot , took a good bit of time to learn everything and all the tricks
Old June 14, 2020, 02:17 PM   #39
mel80

btw heres 4 frames on the last shot in that vid , those 90g dump a ton of energy even on such a small critter

frame before firing , firing , and the next 2 frames after 33.3 ms each frame

Old June 15, 2020, 10:13 PM   #40
mel80

friends view of my 100y headshot on a rockchuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV7CmZwFkjk
Old June 16, 2020, 05:27 AM   #41
stagpanther

Did you stop to change your reticle style and color? The reticle on my 4K pro is quite fine, thinner than what it looks in the menu.
Old June 16, 2020, 09:05 AM   #42
mel80

i change mine all the time depending on what im shooting at , and color based on lighting conditions
Old May 9, 2021, 11:19 AM   #43
mel80

its been a while so i dug the ole ar-10 out
loaded up a ladder with 100g nosler custom comp hpbt;s to shoot after work with 6.5 staball

cci magnum lrp's in norma prime brass 47-47.8g of 6.5 staball loaded to oal of

made a few changes to the ar-10 since the last outing with it new adjutsable gas block , strike industries fixed stock , now running a std buffer spring and buffer again
Old May 9, 2021, 06:14 PM   #44
mel80

and i hate this thing again back in the safe for another year

groups were so bad im pretty sure either my scope is broken internally , or one of the rings/mounts is loose ill have to check over that later

if its not that the cm just hates the 100g noslers , which is kind of funny considering it loves the 90g noslers and speer 90's

Old May 12, 2021, 06:19 AM   #45
stagpanther

What did the chrono data look like?
Old May 13, 2021, 01:37 AM   #46
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
What did the chrono data look like?
3150 ish fps on my high end charge of 47.8 with the mag primer i could go up a lil more but i dont see a point with the 100g noslers

this was the first 4 rounds , a scope sighter , and then 3 more , every charge weight shot this bad
Old May 13, 2021, 06:16 AM   #47
stagpanther

I've built 4 creedmoor AR's they tend to be touchy about the "holy grail" load that shoots best--but they all do shoot bugeyes when I find the right load. What I meant by chrono data what was your standard deviation and extreme deviation? I don't shoot small varmint sized bullets, I usually shoot larger higher SD/BC bullets that I seat as long as possible in the case--so that might be a possible issue.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 13, 2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:12 PM   #48
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I've built 4 creedmoor AR's they tend to be touchy about the "holy grail" load that shoots best--but they all do shoot bugeyes when I find the right load. What I meant by chrono data what was your standard deviation and extreme deviation? I don't shoot small varmint sized bullets, I usually shoot larger higher SD/BC bullets that I seat as long as possible in the case--so that might be a possible issue.
i dont recall as i deleted the data but i do recall it not being bad , i may load a few more theese cases i used were cleaned, trimed back to spec anealed body sized then neck sized then loaded. first time doing it this way , before hand alls i was using was a lee and or rcbs fl die , i picked up a hornady match die im now using for body sizing and a redding match bushing neck sizing die. so alot more variables at play here.

ill prolly load 5-10 in some unanealed fl sized brass like ive always done before and see if it makes a difference.

i did check my scope and mount out and everything is aok there

might be a while before i do it though i have 2 new 6mm arc barrels in the mail , not to mention like i said the creed has been a safe queen everything my creed can do so can my custom grendel build and its cheaper to shoot lol