The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 15, 2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Remington Ammo is back

A recent article on the Tactical Life web site reports that Remington Ammunition has resumed production.

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/a...on-production/

The article says that the plant is looking to "ramp up" production in hopes of easing the ammunition shortage. Let's hope they succeed.
Jeepaholic
Old April 15, 2021, 08:38 PM   #2
KyJim

I like the fact that Remington’s website lists MSRP for their ammo. That makes it easier to see the markup by retailers.
Old April 16, 2021, 09:17 PM   #3
Mike38

I sure hope Remington cranks out a gazillion Thunderbolts and Golden Bullet .22LR so the squid hoarders quit buying the good stuff such as SK, RWS and Eley.
Old April 17, 2021, 07:45 AM   #4
reubenray

Will this plant make 38 special ammo?
Old April 17, 2021, 08:19 AM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
I like the fact that Remington’s website lists MSRP for their ammo. That makes it easier to see the markup by retailers.
Retailers buy in bulk. It's doubtful they pay MSRP.
Old April 17, 2021, 08:21 AM   #6
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
I sure hope Remington cranks out a gazillion Thunderbolts and Golden Bullet .22LR so the squid hoarders quit buying the good stuff such as SK, RWS and Eley.
I'm like everybody else when it comes to Thunderbolts. I made the mistake of firing a box through a S&W M41 and the leading was so severe, looking through the barrel I saw more lead than light.

But aren't Golden Bullets better? I've never used them but somebody (THR?) said they were better.
Old April 17, 2021, 08:25 AM   #7
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post

The article says that the plant is looking to "ramp up" production in hopes of easing the ammunition shortage. Let's hope they succeed.
The problem is primers. Isn't it? I had read that some component in the primer mixture comes from some foreign country? And the China Virus has the supply lines messed up.

But at the same time, I'm frequently seeing VihtaVuori powders on my 3 go-to suppliers, and that's foreign. Finland. Apparently the supply lines work ok for them.

Where do we get our primers components/primers?
Old April 17, 2021, 10:29 AM   #8
Mike38

Quote:
I'm like everybody else when it comes to Thunderbolts. I made the mistake of firing a box through a S&W M41 and the leading was so severe, looking through the barrel I saw more lead than light.

But aren't Golden Bullets better? I've never used them but somebody (THR?) said they were better.
Golden Bullets are much better than Thunderbolts, but, GB has to be the dirtiest .22LR I have ever shot. Back three "shortages" ago I bought 500 rounds of the GB only because it's all I could find for plinking. Fair to good accuracy, went bang every time, but I spent more time cleaning than I did shooting.
Old April 17, 2021, 10:47 AM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
I hope they crank up Remington Golden as well. Not for the same reasons as yourself. My guns love it. I have buckets of it now, thank God I stocked up for years. I have a large stock with all kinds of different loads and manufacturers. But Goldens are my main stay along with Federal Blue box. And yes, I have thousands of rounds of CCI as well.
Glad to see Federal hitting the road hard. Love American Eagle 9mm for my LCR. Hope they start cranking out Buckshot as well.
Old April 17, 2021, 11:27 AM   #10
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Hope they start cranking out Buckshot as well.
I was prepping to start skeet shooting when the Chinese Virus invaded. I've got the means to reload, and have reloaded shotgun shells, but it would be nice to be able to find shotgun shells for skeet.

A shortage of those is somewhat surprising. Not like anybody's going to use #8 shot shells for HD.
Old April 17, 2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Geezerbiker

Have you ever seen what #8 shot will do at around 10 feet? I did some testing long ago and found that at around 10' my cylinder bore 12g shoots around a 1" pattern than opens up to around 2" at 20 Feet. My 100+ year old Stevens full choke shotgun is still around a 1" pattern at about 25 feet...

I load my home defense shotgun so that the first 2 rounds are #8, followed by #4 then the last couple are 00 buckshot. As I see it if I need more than 2 rounds, I likely will need something harder hitting by then.

Tony
Old April 17, 2021, 04:15 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Local range/store has gotten in a couple of shipments of Remington .22s.
A friend and I each bought a bucket of Golden Bullets because one of our IDPA clubs has put in a rimfire division.

The dealer was setting aside part of that ammo to go with gun sales.
I noticed today that they were selling baggies of 50 or 100 .22s, buckets divided up into small retail packages.
Old April 17, 2021, 08:38 PM   #13
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
Have you ever seen what #8 shot will do at around 10 feet? I did some testing long ago and found that at around 10' my cylinder bore 12g shoots around a 1" pattern than opens up to around 2" at 20 Feet. My 100+ year old Stevens full choke shotgun is still around a 1" pattern at about 25 feet...

I load my home defense shotgun so that the first 2 rounds are #8, followed by #4 then the last couple are 00 buckshot. As I see it if I need more than 2 rounds, I likely will need something harder hitting by then.

Tony
It's not going to penetrate to any appreciable degree on a man sized target. It's not a reliable SD round.
Old April 17, 2021, 09:13 PM   #14
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
It's not going to penetrate to any appreciable degree on a man sized target. It's not a reliable SD round.
Have you ever shot a jug of water at 10' with a 12g #8 load? Even if the penetration isn't what you might want (not that I agree,) It dumps 100% of it's energy into the target.
Old April 18, 2021, 08:34 AM   #15
FoghornLeghorn

Dude, I don't care. Think what you want. Defend your children in the dead of winter from some crackhead who's all bundled up in his winter clothing with your shotgun loaded with birdshot.

I'll stick with my 45 cal Sig 220 and bedside AR.

Besides, I only brought it up because I'm looking for skeet shells.

Foghorn, out.

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; April 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 8, 2021, 09:47 AM   #16
godale

Quote:
Golden Bullets are much better than Thunderbolts, but, GB has to be the dirtiest .22LR I have ever shot. Back three "shortages" ago I bought 500 rounds of the GB only because it's all I could find for plinking. Fair to good accuracy, went bang every time, but I spent more time cleaning than I did shooting.

Sounds like me with my marlin 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 9, 2021, 08:27 AM   #17
603Country

I have an assortment of 22 ammo, and when I bought a Tikka T1X I decided to see which was most accurate. Of what I had, it was Blazer RN, but what I found to be almost as accurate, and much more deadly on yard pests (skunks & armadillos) were Remington Golden HP. It’s very accurate in the Tikka.

A neighbor came over last weekend to sight in his 22 (I have a shooting bench). In his rifle the Remington Thunderbolts were very accurate. I had given him a box of 500 rounds, because I had extra and wasn’t too fond of those bullets, but they sure worked for him.
Old May 9, 2021, 09:03 AM   #18
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
I have an assortment of 22 ammo, and when I bought a Tikka T1X I decided to see which was most accurate. Of what I had, it was Blazer RN, but what I found to be almost as accurate, and much more deadly on yard pests (skunks & armadillos) were Remington Golden HP. It’s very accurate in the Tikka.

A neighbor came over last weekend to sight in his 22 (I have a shooting bench). In his rifle the Remington Thunderbolts were very accurate. I had given him a box of 500 rounds, because I had extra and wasn’t too fond of those bullets, but they sure worked for him.

Nice you helped somebody out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk