The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 10, 2021, 01:41 PM   #1
KansasTrapper77

Freedom Arms - Price Check?

I’m not new to reading this forum but I’m new to posting so maybe I’m posting this in the wrong place. Sorry.

A local gun store has a USED Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier grade in 454 Cas. For just shy of $2000. It is definitely used kinda looks like it was shoved under a truck seat. No rust but the finish has taken a beating and the grips have a chip taken out of the right piece.

I’m super interested in a “Hand Cannon”. And I’ve read a ton about Freedom Arms and their quality and I would love to hear feedback.

Is this a decent price for a Used Freedom Arms? I’d hate to make a bad investment.
Old April 10, 2021, 02:25 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Not playing Price is Right, but new ones start around $2500 and I don't know availability.
You might ask FA about refurbishing that one.
Old April 10, 2021, 03:54 PM   #3
Siggy-06

MSRP is around $2900 new. If its beat up, make a cash offer a little lower than asking price. Ruger makes the Super Blackhawk in 454 and its more affordable.
Old April 10, 2021, 06:27 PM   #4
KansasTrapper77

So what I’m gathering is this isn’t an outright “Steal”? I’m willing to bide my time and find a good Ruger or maybe even a BFR. I’ve just been cruising the internet and gunbroker trying to see what the current value of a used FA is, but gunbroker is by no means a perfect metric to measure that.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old April 10, 2021, 07:12 PM   #5
Siggy-06

Rugers are super solid revolvers. Been also keeping an eye out for a BFR in 44 mag, but havent had the opportunity to handle one in person yet. The reviews on the BFRs have been great though.
Old April 10, 2021, 08:34 PM   #6
KansasTrapper77

Off on a tangent from the thread of a BFR in 45-70 crossed my path I’d be hard pressed not to. I have a 45-70 and already reload for it so it’d be hard to pass up as a fun gun.

But I feel like from the thread dropping 2K for a beat up FA, isn’t the move.
Old April 10, 2021, 08:42 PM   #7
45 Dragoon

Ruger S.A. 454 won't last, F.A. will.

Mike
Old April 10, 2021, 09:26 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasTrapper77
But I feel like from the thread dropping 2K for a beat up FA, isn’t the move.
I didn't get that impression at all.

Ultimately, it's up to you. If you want a "hand cannon," how many others have you found for sale for less than $2,000?
Jeepaholic
Old April 10, 2021, 10:24 PM   #9
Sarge

If I wanted that model, I'd buy it particularly in today's market.
Old April 11, 2021, 02:47 AM   #10
stinkeypete

My experience with the FA 83 Premier in .454 is that it is built like a swiss bank vault, was something to handle and marvel at the perfections in machining and was a tack driver.

I would advise the 7" barrel if you want to make it sing, because it helps add mass and soak up recoil.

.454 is awesome because of all the bullets available and you can load down to LC cowboy loads in your Casull brass, and something like Trail Boss won't rattle around too much.

Check Gunbroker. For around $2k you might be able to pick up the same thing in pristine condition. Likewise if you keep your eyes open and get the word out, a private sale would be the way to go. I paid $1100 for mine way back in the day.

I bet the shop will come down in price. I would check to make sure the action is still like a swiss bank vault. Don't accept anything but perfect lockup and timing, that's EXPECTED from a FA.

Buffing out a few nicks in the brushed stainless with the green 3m scouring pads.. fine. If you can live with the nick in the grips, ok.. replacing them is going to be a lot of money. New grips are $286 from FA.

It's a tough thing- you're paying premium price for a beat up gun. If the action is still perfect, you have a real beauty. Bargain the price down mercilessly, you're the only guy interested in that gun. Call Freedom Arms and ask what it will cost for them to spiff it back up.

I'd pay a little more to get a beauty queen. They really are that special.

(mine got sold because I needed the money and I have a Bowen Classic Arms custom blackhawk which is the same quality as the FA, just a lot lighter in .44 magnum. I do not regret playing the hand cannon game, its great fun to see how much boom you can hold in one hand!)
Old April 11, 2021, 09:30 PM   #11
rock185

I've had a FA revolver for a long time, and think that for $2000.00 a very high condition Premier Grade might be found. Much as admire the FA revolvers, I'd agree that "dropping 2K for a beat up FA, isn't the move"...
Old April 15, 2021, 11:05 PM   #12
KansasTrapper77

Thanks guys for the advice. Just to muddy the waters I think I might buy a nice neat Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC to dip my toes in large bore magnum shooting and save my pennies for a nice 475 Linebaugh.
Old April 16, 2021, 04:13 AM   #13
DaleA

If your not wedded to a single action handgun and want a big boomer there is this S&W 460 for about $1500.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897320779

If you definitely want a SA gun then the Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk are VERY good choices.

Tags
454 casull , freedom arms , price check