The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 25, 2021, 03:00 PM   #1
Frisco

First Mountain Lion of 2021 In Flagstaff

It was a GREAT morning. I had my first mountain lion sighting of 2021 this morning.

I live on 5 wooded acres near Mormon Lake in Flagstaff. I left the house before sun up to head into town to Home Depot. When I got into my pickup and the headlights turned on, there was a nice, smallish but healthy looking mountain lion who I must have startled into moving out at a pretty good clip across the small mowed (snow covered now) part of the back yard and into the trees.

It made me smile, despite the proximity to the house. From the time I was a kid in Tucson, I always felt lucky when I saw a mountain kitty. This is the first one I have seen this year, hell I haven't even seen any tracks on my property.

I wish I'd been able to get a picture, but he/she went from 0 - to - boogie before I could put my coffee into the cup holder, let alone get my phone out to take a pic.

No, it's not a hunting post per se...that will come next deer season... but it's an indicator that since the predators are looking healthy, the prey should be in pretty good health as well. All the mulies, elk, and whites I have seen have looked really good.

I'm already getting the itch...bad. I'm going to order a couple of game cams this afternoon.

Last edited by Frisco; January 25, 2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old January 25, 2021, 10:49 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

This time of year the call of being out searching for meat can be pretty over powering. I just read a post by jmr40 about a deer hunt, and told the wife I can't wait till next fall.
Old January 26, 2021, 11:49 AM   #3
Frisco

RIGHT!

I get the itch bad, especially on days like this when the snow is on the ground here in Flag, it reminds me of white tail season in MI. My mom's family is from MI, so I hunted Gladwin County a LOT up there and my property here with all the pines reminds me of my maternal grandfather's place up there.