The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2001, 03:14 AM   #1
matt.45

help me with this high power.

I plan on doing some work to my Fabrique High Power(changing springs, firing pin, and barrel) and have two questions. My first question is about the model designation. The gun was produced during the war so what model would that make it.(I want to know if the parts are interchangeable with the Browning made guns.)

My second question is how do I remove the piece of slide that holds the extractor and the part that pushes down the sear without damaging the gun.

I thank you in advance for any help.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:21 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Matt, this link might lead you to identifying it. http://www.fn-collectors.net/weapon/fn-gp.htm If you e-mail me to remind me I'll send you complete disassembly/assembly instructions. George

Last edited by George Stringer; November 7, 2001 at 06:00 PM.
Old November 7, 2001, 07:47 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That site shows the new model. On the earlier model, the takedown is different.

To remove the sear lever retainer and sear lever, first separate the slide from the frame. Then insert the end of the slide stop pin into the firing pin hole and slide the firing pin retainer down, just like the Model 1911.

Then use a small screwdriver to pull the extractor out to the rear. Turn the slide over and insert a small punch or small screwdriver into the hole in the bottom of the slide and push the sear lever retainer out to the side. The sear lever will drop out when the slide is turned rightside up.

Your gun was made in Belgium and is a Browning High Power. There is no model difference between the early guns and the wartime guns, although the Germans called it the P.35(b), the (b) standing for Belgian. Note though, that some wartime HP's were soft, as that was one way the Belgians sabotaged them. If you have fired yours, and it went more than 50 rounds, it is OK.

At some time postwar (1955, I think), Browning changed the design to use an outside extractor and use a simple pin for the sear lever. That is the gun shown on the site mentioned.

HTH

Jim