The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2001, 01:25 PM   #1
lunde

Which slugs for Benelli M1?

Which slugs (slug weight, cartridge length, and brand) are preferred by those who have Benelli M1 shotguns?
Old October 26, 2001, 01:56 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No experience with the Benellis, but....

We could take two shotguns, identical in every measurable respect, off the assembly line in any factory. We could bench them and find that one does best with slug A, and one with slug B.

A few very loose rules do apply.

Open chokes are best.

Smoothbore bbls and those with rifled choke tubes do best with the full bore slugs, the Forster styles and the various Brenneke designs.

Rifled bbls do best with the sabots.

Other than that, it's an open field. The good news, there's no ineffective 12 ga slugs. ALL work well when placed correctly.

Buy a mess of those little 5 packs. Bench test until one stands out. Buy lots of that one, hopefully all from the same lot.Zero with that one and you're all set.

HTH....
Old October 26, 2001, 04:45 PM   #3
lunde

Thanks, Dave!
Old October 26, 2001, 05:33 PM   #4
Jody Hudson

Dave is absolutely correct.

My Four M1s all like the very cheap Remington 1 oz 2 3/4 VERY well. One of them shoots that round the very best. One shoots Breneke 7/8 oz the best and the one I let one son have liked the expensive copper solids the best. One likes the very cheap PMC 3/4 oz 2 3/4 the best -- but I don't know if PMC still makes that little slug any more. PMC has gone through a LOT of changes...

BUT, all of them were capable of 6" or better at 100 yards which, because it was me shooting them, means they are probably capable of 2" or less. But, strong note here, all of them had a few brands that they wouldn't shoot well at all. I remember one of them that would NOT keep the Federal 1.5 oz within 2 feet at less than 100 yards...

Old October 29, 2001, 10:55 AM   #5
RobCon

Ken, both my 121M1 and M3 have cyl bores and like the 1 0z. Brenneke 2 3/4". The M3 will put them into four inches each and every time at 100m. From my own experience, the wound channel from the Brenneke slug is larger than the round nose US slugs and penetration leaves nothing to be desired. Best, Rob
Old October 29, 2001, 11:22 AM   #6
lunde

I ended up buying ten boxes each of three types of slugs to try out: Brenneke 2 3/4" 1oz, Federal 2 3/4" 1oz, and Federal 2 3/4" 1.25oz.

My shotgun collection recently went from only one (a Mossberg 590A1) to five (added a Remington 870 Police, a Benelli Nova Special Purpose, a Benelli M1 Practical, and a Benelli M1 Tactical). All have factory ghost ring sights except for the Remington 870 Police that has a bead sight.
Old October 29, 2001, 03:30 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lunde, a favor if I may ask. Keep good records of group size and post the results here. While none of the info is applicable to ANY shotguns other than yours,the range of group sizes might convince some unbelievers before they hit the woods. We need no wounded deer nor bad PR for hunters.

I know that this has been done before, but maybe it'll go over better coming from someone else.

Thanks...
Old October 29, 2001, 03:40 PM   #8
lunde

Will do.