The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2015, 11:10 PM   #1
Willkk

Lee vs Lyman data

I have been working up a good 30-06 load data and have a question for the experienced ones. I used the Lyman manuals start charge of 48 grains of imr 4064 with a Speer hot-cor bullet(150 grain), I have gone up to 50 grains powder without any pressure signs. I recently had a reloader tell me that a well known and old load for the 30-06 was 52 grains 4064 under a 150 grain bullet. I looked into the many online forums it and it appears many have used it without issue. My question.... The lee manual has a never exceed load of 51 grains, while the Lyman max is 53. Is this bullet at the 52 grain charge really safe or is it tempting fate? Does Lee typically stay this conservative?
Old February 4, 2015, 11:36 PM   #2
SHR970

The LEE Manual regurgitates everyone else's data; they do no testing of their own. You can't be sure who's data or from when that they are reprinting.

Lyman does their own homework with the specific components listed as tested in their test barrels.

Manuals are a GUIDE...not gospel. That's why you work up; especially if you are a novice. What is safe in their test barrel may or may not be safe in your particular gun.