The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2013, 03:51 AM   #1
wolfe 21

Essex 1911 frame ?s

My LGS has a colt ace conversion on an essex frame with extended safety & slide release, beavertail & commander hammer. The counter guy expressed an interest in breaking it up, selling the conversion & frame seperately. They've got $895 on the whole gun. My questions are basically is this a good base frame and whats a good price for the lower. I'm thinkin of putting it under a Kimber slide conversion for cheap practice, at least whenever i can find 22 ammo again... I've got a gsg, but I want something more substantial with better build quality.
James.
Old April 12, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Hunter Customs

I can remember years back, to build a custom 1911 required using old military guns or an Essex frame, the only after market frame available.
This was before every manufacture you can think of jumped on the 1911 band wagon wanting to add there version of a 1911, and many of the versions not being so great.

I've built quite a few custom 1911 pistols on Essex frames.
I've heard some claim their Essex frames were out of spec, I don't recall ever having an Essex frame that had out of spec issues.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com