The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Doug11606

Colt 1911 MK IV Series 80 45 ACP Versus Hi-Point

Some of you may remember my Hi-Point 45 ACP review. It drew allot of negative attention right from the start.
Today I purchased two colt MK IV series 80 1911's.
First the colt combat commander. Very attractive firearm & feels good in the hand. Somewhat smaller than the full size platform. My first 50 rounds I had 7failure to feeds & one stove pipe. I rotated between two different magazines loaded a different # of rounds and nothing made a difference. At that point I loaded the Colt Government model, same attractive look and feel as the commander. However the gun fired flawlessly. Both guns have fixed sights and were very accurate. I must say I love the look and feel of these classic guns, but as I found out they are just a susceptible to failure as my lower priced guns. My Hi-Point didn't even do as bad as the Colt. I paid six times the price for the Colt as I did the Hi-Point. Just as I fixed the Hi-Point and made it into in a very reliable firearm I plan to do the same with the Colt. I will post my findings at a later date.
"Note" I paid $1,800.00 for the two guns one is stainless the other Nickel. These were not beat up low priced guns. When I disassembled these guns there were no signs of wear whatsoever.
Old January 5, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
ghostman1960

I got this in the beginning of December and have not had one failure of any kind in over 500 rounds so far. You must have real bad luck.

Old January 5, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
laytonj1

Trade you a couple Hi Points for them...

Jim
Old January 5, 2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Stevie-Ray

Yeah, both my Colt 1911s have been perfect from the start, decades ago, but I dare say I'd take a malfunctioning one over a "perfect" Hi-point.
Old January 5, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Doug11606

Here are pics of the Colts

Colt Commander Nickel MK IV Series 80 45 ACP
Colt Government Stainless MK IV Series 80 45ACP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0697.JPG (120.7 KB, 174 views)
Old January 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
but I dare say I'd take a malfunctioning one over a "perfect" Hi-point.
Say that in the middle of drug raid with a AR pointing at ya!

An unreliable gun, no matter how pretty, is a paper weight, nothing more! I am not talking about the poster's guns; I am talking about the malfunctioning remark!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; January 5, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add word or two
Old January 5, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Quote:
If you'd stop dealing drugs, you won't get raided.

Ghostman, what model is that 1911 in your pic? I need one to go with my blued slide, stainless gripped Combat Elite.
Old January 5, 2012, 10:02 PM   #8
orionengnr

With the 1911s, you will never again be able to remove a fully loaded mag from the pistol, hold the pistol in one hand and the mag in the other, and wonder which is worth more.
Old January 5, 2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Micahweeks

Quote:
but I dare say I'd take a malfunctioning one over a "perfect" Hi-point.

An unreliable gun, no matter how pretty, is a paper weight, nothing more! I am not talking about the poster's guns; I am talking about the malfunctioning remark!
Yup. I'll take a reliable Hi-Point that shoots five inch groups at 20 yards over an unreliable Wilson that's shoots one inch groups (not that I've ever seen an unreliable Wilson; it's just analogy). When I need it, it MUST shoot. Otherwise, someone doesn't go home, probably the good guy. Function over form.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:18 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
Function over form.
I agree. But sometimes you can have both...
Old January 6, 2012, 07:04 PM   #11
WildBill45

Quote:
If you'd stop dealing drugs, you won't get raided.
That is not funny ... lost too many brothers to druggies, hate em ... I Have no more to say.

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 6, 2012, 08:18 PM   #12
AKsRul.e

"I must say I love the look and feel of these classic guns, but as I found out they are just a susceptible to failure as my lower priced guns. My Hi-Point didn't even do as bad as the Colt. I paid six times the price for the Colt as I did the Hi-Point. Just as I fixed the Hi-Point and made it into in a very reliable firearm I plan to do the same with the Colt. I will post my findings at a later date."

Seeing as how you give 0 details about the ammo used and how you tested them - then proceed to boast about your "gunfixin" skills -
I really don't care if you post again or not.
Old January 6, 2012, 08:41 PM   #13
Stevie-Ray

Quote:

Here's an offer: I'll take everybody's malfunctioning Colt 1911s off their hands and trade them brand new Hi-Points for them. Any takers?

Yeah, I know so many cops that took their favorite Hi-points with them on drug raids just because they were so reliable.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:29 PM   #14
EdInk

The "stop dealing drugs" comment WAS funny!

Pick a different scenario (like a mugging or home invasion) or don't be so sensitive. I've lost people to drugs too. Nobody forced them to start using them. People know the way most drug addicts end up.
Old January 6, 2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Micahweeks

Hmmm... interesting how quickly any thread about Hi-Points always seems to get personal. I'm not a big of them simply for the ergonomics. But, I've seen them shoot hundreds of rounds without malfunctioning, so I don't knock the platform. I've seen more expensive guns that are less reliable (a 1st generation Sigma comes to mind).
Old January 9, 2012, 05:37 PM   #16
markj

How come nobody starts a thread on the jennings bryco 9mm?
Old January 9, 2012, 06:12 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Since it's about 99 percent certain that a Colt Mark IV must have been previously owned, any reliability "issues" are 98 percent certain to be due to something the previous owner did to it. Anyone who buys a used Colt 1911 that doesn't run, if you don't like it send me a PM and I'll gladly give you mthe details of my FFL so you can ship it off to me. After all, if it's that bad you certainly wouldn't want the guilt trip of selling it to someone, now would you?

I love those Colt paperweights -- especially the Officers and Combat Commander paperweights.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Sgt Pepper

What vintage is the Commander? What vintage is the Government? Also, what ammo were you shooting?

The commander looks like it may be wearing some non-original parts. They may be genuine Colt parts, but I suspect this pistol may have been modified or worked on at some point. I certainly could be wrong, but you may want to inspect the recoil spring and pull the extractor for starters.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:08 PM   #19
bugkop

Hi-Point vs 1911

I have a dilemma and hopefully someone can shed some light or give non biased advice?? I have a chance to get a used 1911 for relatively cheap so cheap that it make most of you think it was hot or something but its not... My problem is I want the lifetime no questions asked if something happens god forbid that Hi-point offers in their JCP .45 roughly they are the same price which again is not hot or has bodies on it... I like the idea of the iconic .45 but I also have large hands and the 1911 doesnt quit fit my hand like a high point would. But I do want something that is going to last a lifetime to pass down to my kids in the future??? Any ideas on suggestion on grips to buy that are more comfortable for the 1911 as I like the feel of Hi points grips? which gun would you prefer etc...
Old October 25, 2012, 05:28 PM   #20
testuser

I bought a new Colt last year and it's been fine, no problems.

If you're looking for something closer to your Hi-Point, .45, that's a lot cheaper and probably more reliable, then I'd look to the Glock 21.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:29 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Never had a single failure with this one:

Old October 25, 2012, 09:21 PM   #22
Edward429451

Quote:
What vintage?
In the 1980's the MK IV's were being sold. From how the OP describes the condition of the guns, it's possible that they've never been shot, or very little. When my MK IV was new, it had some stovepipes. I had an extended ejector put into it and no more stovepipes. Colt uses a real minimalist style ejector and benefits greatly from an extended one.

These guns were made in the days that Colt had it going on! It was accepted wisdom at the time to tune them for reliability. Ramped, throated, and polished. Oh, and the installation of an extended ejector to ensure positive ejection.

If you make these minor mods to it, they will run fine and the aesthetics will not be disturbed outwardly. What a beautiful pair of MK IV's you have there!
Old October 25, 2012, 11:14 PM   #23
5whiskey

Ok, we get it. Hi-points go bang almost every time. They are minute of bad guy accurate, and they are VERY affordable. That's great.

They are not in the same class as a Colt 1911. If you bought the Colt used, do not assume it's Colt's fault. If it's new, send it to Colt and they'll make it right. Then it will shot groups half the size and malfunction less than the Hi-point. I'm not a Hi-point hater. If you like em' shoot em. I'll shoot with you at the range without being ashamed. I will praise your inexpensive firearm that functions plenty well enough for home defense. It still will not be in the same class as a Glock, Sig, or Kahr. Don't make it out to be, or if you do don't be upset if you're paddling that boat by yourself.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:59 AM   #24
warningshot

The OP is going to have sink some more bucks into his two-gun investment to get them up and running.

The Willie Lowman post was funny. LEOs have plenty of their own forums. But do remember, it's the LEOs that stand between you and total chaos... So stop dealing drugs. That's good. That is good.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:15 AM   #25
darkgael

Reliability. Any gun can malfunction on the next shot. You just never know.
My own Colt..... Similar to that one used by the OP... Has been super reliable but not perfect. Approx one failure every 10k rounds.
Pete