The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 18, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Gbro

Old Cow

I killed my 1st Elk last week during the Colorado Muzzleloader season.

Because of 2 day's of rain I was running very low on B P as I had to change my load more than usual and that my powder flask wasn't in camp so after dropping the Cow I had to use the powder in my priming tool to reload for the finishing off shot. One thing nice about that was I knew I had to close my pan cover (frizzen) and the pan self primed.
While waiting for the packs, I boned out one side and then went for the shinny white teeth to find that there was only 1 tooth in the old girl's mouth . Well she had incizers, but no molars.
When my help arrived we started bagging and the milk bags pulled loose and became un-attached.
We then had 3/4 mile hump down to camp and being I put her down at 6pm it was getting real dark in the timber. About 1/3 of the way to camp we run across a couple hunters on horses and here its the local Warden and a friend coming in from a evening hunt.
Well he stops in our camp and checks everything out and has some questions about the sex evidence that's not attached. After confirming that I did know the bags should be attached he let me off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010069-1.jpg (175.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg P1010073-1.jpg (183.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg P1010071-1.jpg (173.9 KB, 87 views)
Old September 19, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
iraiam

Nice Hawken, I like to see fellow BP hunters and their Hawken rifles. I made my first BP kill with a patched .498 round ball, 120 gr. of BP, vernier peep sight.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 19, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
2damnold4this

Congrats!
Old September 24, 2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Mobuck

I shot an "old cow" elk once in Wyoming-worst tasting, toughest elk meat we ever had.
The guide indicated I should shoot the biggest one which I did. Big in profile but not very wide.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
AllenJ

Nice job Gbro, congrats.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Gbro

Quote:
I shot an "old cow" elk once in Wyoming-worst tasting, toughest elk meat we ever had.
The guide indicated I should shoot the biggest one which I did. Big in profile but not very wide.
I do not know what anyone means when they don't refer to their Elk meat as being tough-FFFFFF!

We have brought Elk meat back many times and it matters not what size, they were all tough-FFF!
This old cow is ground up and that is just fine because I love ground Elk.
I did have the store where i brought it run a few steaks through the chopper that they use to make a cube steak. I had some venison given to me last fall, as I didn't score, that was done like that and it was GRAND. I am kind of savoring the thought of a grilled Elk steak that might not exhaust me.
As for Guide, not for me.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
IvIUSI-I

yummy elk burgers
Old September 27, 2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

Good shooting with that smoke pole!

Jack