The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2011, 05:17 PM   #1
sigcurious

Tools and resources for parts replacement and minor tinkering?

I have a 22/45 that I'd like to turn into a project gun. I don't want to do anything too extensive, my goal is mag safety removal, LCI disabling and a VQ trigger kit. From what I've gathered if I take a slow and methodical approach, I should be able to learn the skills to do these things without messing up.

My more specific questions would be: What are the pros/cons of steel punches vs brass punches, and what would be a good set to start with? What are some good reading and video(dvd and/or youtube) resources to get, so I can be more familiar with the tools and basics before I try anything? I understand I would need a plastic mallet also, but what other items are useful and/or needed to do this kind of tinkering? And lastly, should I even be attempting this or is this level of tinkering generally not recommended for someone without any formal training?

I understand that I may have to take it to a gun smith if I mess things up. However with the 22/45 being a relatively inexpensive and frequently modified platform I figure its a good place to start learning more about the internal workings of my firearms and being more capable to keep them in running order/do minor fixes myself.
Old December 13, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2
1SOW

Brass punches will work on most anything. Steel punches can damage most anything. Brass punches to fit your needs can be expensive. Some pins require steel to 'start'.

One thing I recently found is 1/4" x 12" brass rod on Amazon for $1.69 ea. Shipping is not cheap, but if you buy a few, it's a good deal.
I now have a good squib rod and make my own punches. Either a drill press or hand-held drill can be used to shape the the punch "tip" to any size you need up to 1/4". I start with small files and finish with sandpaper.
Old December 14, 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Jerry45

I thought I was the only one that made his own punches.
Old December 17, 2011, 01:49 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Gunsmiths, American Pistolsmiths Guild, Brownells...

For any kind of gunsmith work or new parts/training videos/guides/etc I'd check these sources;

www.gunvideo.com www.paladin-press.com www.NRA.org www.midwayusa.com www.Natchezss.com www.Brownells.com www.americanpistol.com .

Brownells is a standard any serious gun owner, armed professional, shooting sports industry member, or gunsmith should know about or use.
The American Pistolsmiths Guild is a highly rated group too.
These resources may help.
CF
Old December 17, 2011, 02:13 AM   #5
sigcurious

thanks clydefrog, I'll have to starting looking around on those and what I can find to suit my needs. Hopefully with enough preparation I won't make a mess of my 22/45