The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 21, 2011, 05:03 AM   #126
Hunter Rose

Location: 30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
You should have asked them if you could get a copy for entertainment purposes...
Old December 22, 2011, 12:03 AM   #127
Mello2u

When I get pulled over for a traffic stop, I slow down and pull over to the right shoulder and get off the road in a safe manner. I open all the windows, turn off the engine, (if it is dark, I turn on the interior light), put both hands on the top of the steering wheel and move as little as possible. If I have passengers in the vehicle I tell them to put their hands on their thighs in plain sight and don't move or look around.

I learned in the law enforcement academy that this is what I wanted vehicle drivers to do.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old December 22, 2011, 01:09 AM   #128
farmerboy

Two more things that are helpful are if you get stopped try and find a well lit place and park plenty off roadway for some reason quite a bit will pass up all the well lit places and stop I'n the most darkest places possible. Some have even turned off the main road onto a side street and a mile away before stoping. That's a citation for sure and the other is beside the roadway, pull plenty off for your safety and the officers. For the ones who stop right on the yellow stripe, also a citation! That's when the officer just makes contact with passenger side and writes away. Again, attitude means Alot!
Old December 23, 2011, 01:21 PM   #129
Ben Towe

I haven't been stopped while carrying yet, but I plan to inform. I also have my paperwork in hand by the time the officer gets to the window. I'm not worried about him seeing any movement in the vehicle due to the fact that every window in my truck is heavily tinted (3.7% limo tint on back, sides, and sun strip, 45% on the rest of the windshield.), and no one is going to see anything until I choose to allow it. As the officer approaches I generally roll down the windows and say hi. Courtesy goes a long way, carrying or not.
Old December 23, 2011, 02:32 PM   #130
farmerboy

wayneinFL, haha funny story!!! Man its almost like them two were either just playing with you and being stupid or just a couple of wack jobs!!! But its still funny. It would be something to just watch again and laugh your butt off.
Old December 25, 2011, 02:32 PM   #131
Nordeste

It's quite healthy to switch your interior lights one whenever an officer approaches your car or you're gonna go through an entrance check-point (military bases and the like) where personnel is on duty. They will be less inclined to use their torches to see what's going on inside the car. It's something I regularly do and appreciate when someone does it for me when I'm working. It a sign of respect and good will.
Old December 31, 2011, 02:57 AM   #132
hangglider

I haven't been pulled over yet since getting CCWs (I have more than one to cover most of the east I travel through) but I would automatically inform I have a permit, whether or not I am presently carrying, and if so location and whether or not loaded.

Unless I'm mistaken, the CCW info is going to be accessible through an LEO background info check anyway, so not disclosing that could theoretically lead to increased suspicion and provide cause (whether you might think justifiable or not) for further "examination." (I am not a LEO). In general, I believe these guys have it pretty rough when it comes to firearms and most of their "firearm disclosures" are probably less courteous and full disclosure shows appreciation for what they do--required or not. But I'm not a libertarian type