The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 2, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Shootin Chef

Cleaning kit?

So, now that I'm fairly on my way to building a decent collection of firearms I was wondering if there is a kit out there that's relatively inexpensive but will handle my needs? I fire everything from bolt action, semi, shotgun, to handgun so something all inclusive would be great.

Barrel snakes or brushes? Both? Hoppe #9 or is there something better? Copper brush or should I just buy a bunch of cheap toothbrushes?
I know yall have the knowledge and experience I don't so teach me!

Chef
Old February 2, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2
gaseousclay

I can't make any recommendations myself. all of the cleaning kits I see at the big box stores strike me as cheap. I'm pretty much going for quality over quantity, so i'm buying cleaning accessories individually, like a bore-guide, one-piece cleaning rod, solvent, oil, jag kit, patches, etc. i'm sure the kits sold at stores offer good value for the money, but they're no good to you if they're cheaply made and fall apart.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3
jmortimer

I have the Otis kit and like it and it will clean anything and everything - $40.00 or less for universal kit. I am adding Bore Snakes and this http://www.patchworm.com/patchworm.html
Old February 2, 2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Doyle

I'm more a fan of the put-it-together-yourself kind of kit. I picked up a fairly large and sturdy tool box with a removable top tray from the hardware store. In it, I have a takedown rod, various brushes and jags, patches, cleaners/lubricants, etc. It also holds some basic gunsmithing supplies such as a screwdriver handle and interchangeable bits, drift punches, small hammer, tweezers, reading glasses, small vice-grips pliers, etc. In short, it contains most anything I would need to either bring to the range or use to cleanup after getting back.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
wingspar

Otis cleaning kits. Then add to it what you really need. Kits are always full of stuff you will never use. Start with Otis, and build your own from there.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:50 PM   #6
egor20

I like this for two reasons;

1, the price, $19.97
2, its wood, I dislike aluminum cases.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...p=WX2&i=170765

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 3, 2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

+1 on the wooden boxed kit. It looks very nice and sturdy and has all you need minus the liquids. I bought a kit years ago that included even the cleaners from the range shop but it was like $50.00. Very nice but I didn't know there was less expensive stuff that works just as good.
Old February 3, 2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Shootin Chef

back when my dad was letting me borrow his old duty .357 S&W revolver I bought a Hoppes #9 kit from a hunting store to clean it with and I still have it, but the rod isn't long enough to clean my rifles and my shotguns. The wooden box kit looks great for the price, I think I'll order that one and use it and my other kit to start building my own cleaning box.
I appreciate the suggestions!

Chef
Old February 6, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9
dtalley

I have a three bin (I guess that is what it is called) fishing tackle box. I buy individual pieces so I don't end up with brushes or such that I don't need. I have all my solvents in the bottom area and the places on the bins are labeled for the different calibers of brushes and swabs. I made a little rack for my one piece cleaning rods and I am currently puchasing a few of them.
It is also big enough to hold a couple of tools and bore light and such.
Old February 13, 2011, 12:30 PM   #10
DrDragon

I use both snakes and rods. I love how easy bore snakes are and perfect for a range bag to quickly run through before and after your shoot. Part of what I love about my firearms collection (a big part) is cleaning it, if you're the same, it's fun to just build yourself a kit out of pieces. I have yet to see a prepackaged kit that contains everything I'd want, and the individual pieces are relatively inexpensive. I use a Home Depot Homer box for my main home kit:

Inside

Range Kit

PS: First time posting pics, how do I make them smaller?
Old February 13, 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
DrDragon

Also, Hoppe's No. 9 and Ballistol fulfill ALL my needs for cleaning/protecting. The other cleaning products you see in my kit rarely, if ever, get used.