The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Chad007

308 lake city match brass forsale once fire

I have 8,230 rounds of Lake city Brass for sale it is all once fire with 74-78 head stamp feel free to email at [email protected] or call 423-290-0684 will sale all or will split up Thank you very much also the only payment i take is post office money order thanks chad
Old July 13, 2010, 04:47 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

you need to add a location to your title or your post will get deleted
Old July 13, 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Edward429451

Is it machinegun brass?
Old July 14, 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
medalguy

A price might help too.
Old July 14, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5
csmsss

Quote:
Is it machinegun brass?
Lake City, mid-70's....yep. You have to assume it is. There wouldn't have been much use of 7.62x51 in anything other than M-60's in that time frame.
Old July 14, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6
riverwalker76

In his defense ... he did mention 'Match Brass' in the title. I don't know if the date range matches up, but that's what he said.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Edward429451

I don't understand the Match brass comment. Is that significant? The only thing they use in M60's or something like that? I'd like to hear a price too...
Old July 14, 2010, 11:50 PM   #8
riverwalker76

The Match Brass is different from Machine Gun brass. The Match Brass was never fired in an M60. The M60 only fired the 7.62 Lake City Headstamped Brass. The 7.62 Lake City Match was reserved for the sniper weapons of the time.

Here in an exert from a previous post some time ago that I replied to. ....

Quote:
Well ... here you go. Something I've learned by reloading Lake City .308 Brass over the years.

What a lot of people don't realize nor do they know any better AND MOST military surplus brass dealers over the net won't tell you because they want a sale .....

A majority of Lake City Brass in .308 is fired through the M240 Machine Gun. The ONLY way to ensure that you aren't getting M240 fired Lake City Brass is to buy Lake City LR (Long Range) or Lake City Match. If they don't have either an 'LR' or a 'Match' on them ... I don't buy them. Plain and simple! If a dealer tells you that his regular/standard .308 Lake City Brass has never been fired through a M240 then he is either lying to you ... or ... he really doesn't know and opts out to deny that it has.

LR or Match headstamp Lake City Brass has NEVER ... I repeat ... NEVER been fired through an M240. This brass is reserved for the surgical precision bolt guns that the military uses.

What's the difference?

Well, an M240 has excessive headspace tolerances to allow for easy ejection, and to ensure the weapon will never jam. This allows the brass to be 'blown out' or stressed to a level that makes it extremely difficult to cycle through any bolt gun. If you have any of regular / standard Lake City .308 brass you need to crank your sizing die down an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn past the usual setting in order the size the case all the way down to the rim. If you don't ... you will more than likely end up with several rounds that will not cycle in your tight tolerance bolt gun.

Believe me ... it's worth the extra $20 to get the LR or Match brass. It sizes VERY easily, and I have never had a failed case or one that would not cycle.

Finally, I NEVER use OneShot to size Lake City Brass. It doesn't give you the coverage you need. One Shot is designed for regular / thinner walled civilian ammo like Remington and Winchester. I use Hornady Unique lube, and have never had a stuck case in the time I've been reloading, and I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds.