The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Tex S

Chronographs

Which one do you have? Do you like it?

Which ones have you had, but got rid of because it didn't work well/wasn't accurate?

They seem affordable, but I figured I would get some input before I buy.

Thanks!!!
Old May 28, 2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Prince55

Good questions. I've been looking at them also and wondered what
the difference is in the Chrony F1 and the Master and if you can
mount them on a regular tripod ?

Thanks
Old May 28, 2009, 03:32 AM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I have a Chrony Beta Master. You can get several different models from Chrony. Each Chrony model can be upgraded (for a fee) if you need more functions. The Master has a remote read out, you can put it on the bench next to you while the main unit is in front of the gun. You can get a timer in one model to time between shots as well (e.g. 10 shots in 4 seconds). I found the Chrony a little confusing to use, but that might just be me.
Old May 28, 2009, 03:45 AM   #4
kiwi56

Chronograph

I use a Pact, It is very user friendly and very reliable.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:50 AM   #5
rwilson452

Quote:
Good questions. I've been looking at them also and wondered what
the difference is in the Chrony F1 and the Master and if you can
mount them on a regular tripod ?

Thanks
Yes you can mount them on a regular tripod. I have a small tabletop model to mount the master part of the Chrony master, and a regular tripod to mount the part with the sensors.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:35 AM   #6
314EPW

pact

I have a Pact that sits on a reg tripod.The readout box sits next to me on the bench.i love it.
Ed
Old May 28, 2009, 06:44 AM   #7
gun44

Hello..........

I have a ProChrono, and other than a missed reading once in a while, it is pretty dependable. It will give you a shot spread, number of shots, hi and low rounds,velocity, and average velocity of a group of rounds. It also has a feature for downloading your info to a computer (cable extra)!
Old May 28, 2009, 06:54 AM   #8
hornady

My vote goes out to the Chrony Beta Master also. One suggestion I got off another form. Replace the diffuser rods with plastic straws. A guy on there said he hit the steel rod with a 44 round which broke the photo cell and, destroyed the unit
Old May 28, 2009, 07:06 AM   #9
gun44

Hornady..........

that IS a good idea. My brother shot one of my steel rods, but it didn't seem to harm the chrony. BTW he shot the top of my chrony case once , splitting it open. Sent it to the company, and they replaced the case for free, but allowed as how I should limit my brother's shooting over it!
Old May 28, 2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Dingoboyx

Chrony Master F1

Yup, works well, accurate, remote read out...... haven't shot it yet (aim high, young man, aim high)

Don't let anyone shoot a scoped rifle thru a chrony unless you are watching them like a hawk, I watched a guy shoot his chrony fair in the guts with a scoped rifle (coz the muzzle is way lower than the sight) Believe me, it wasn't a purdy sight to see

Glad it wasn't mine
Old May 28, 2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Xwrench3

i have a "Chrony". it seems to work well enough. the only problem i have had with it is shooting one of the sky screen rods. they are an odd ball size. so you either have to order replacement parts from the factory, or have a replacement rod made up. my brother is a machinist, so he just turned down a peice of brass rod for me. whatever you decide on, i learned a trick to save you from shooting the chronograph in the "guts". use a laser bore sighing tool and a blank peice of paper. slide the bore sighter in the end of the barrel, turn it on, and use the peice of paper to "aim" the bullet path. when i shot the rod out of mine, i was using a handgun, and just wasn't paying close enough attention. a rod is way better than the guts!
Old May 28, 2009, 07:39 AM   #12
RamSlammer

Have the F1 (regular) . . . works very well, but would probably buy the Beta Chrony if doing it over again.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:21 AM   #13
HJ857

I have the F1 Master, with the detached LED panel, which I think is a required feature unless you can walk up to the chrony after every shot to get the reading.

At the range I normally shoot at I have the chrony on a basic photo tripod about 17 feet away. If I didn't have the detached LED I'd be waiting 15 minutes for a target check to get a shot reading. Per shot.

The remote is a must have too, it gives you the ability to scroll through the shots and gives you the average, standard deviation and extreme spread plus high and low velocities. Without the remote you cannot access those numbers.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:59 AM   #14
GeauxTide

Oehler 33 Chronotach.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:13 AM   #15
RidgwayCO

CED Millenium M1 (I think they're selling the M2 now). More expensive, but the infrared light option is well worth it. No false readings due to the position of the sun, and works great indoors as well.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:31 AM   #16
olmossbak

I have the Oehler 35P Proof chronograph. Its the one with three sky screens to do a check on each shot. I have mine on a 2 foot rod so I can use it on a camera tripod. It has remote (wired) digital display with printer and does all the statistical calculations. It operates on one 9 volt battery.

I finally found ink cartredges for it at a OfficeMax although I am still using the original after 5 years. I spoke with Oehler when looking for them and that's where he told me to look.

I assume that the company still sells chronographs although I haven't seen any ads for them in quite a while. They are really good and reliable pieces of equipment although a bit more pricier than the Chrony or Pact. I am very satisfied with the Oehler.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:31 AM   #17
PCJim

Chrony Beta Master on an aluminum camera tripod.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:24 PM   #18
RedHawk357

Pact 1. It's old school I think. Bought off Ebay. Easy to use gives speeds of 20 shots, AVE HI, LOW, SD, AD and ES. Catches just about everything I have shot at it. Didn't come with a owners manual called Pact and they sent me one in about five days (if only my bullet orders shipped that fast). The guy on the phone offered me a trade in allowance if I wanted to update. Thinking if I do update it will be that M2 mentioned above. Everything I read about sez it's the "Bees Knees" or "Cat's Meow" I think it has a significant shooting area for those who are trying to fill their Chrony tag
Old May 28, 2009, 07:03 PM   #19
Uncle H

Competition Electronics Pro-chrono (something like that). Had it since 1998 and have pretty much destroyed the metal rods holding the diffusers up with handguns. :>)

I e-mailed Comp. Elec. last week. They responded right away and sent me new diffusers/rods for 12.00 - no shipping, etc.

It wasn't expensive but it works like a champ.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Nnobby45

Quote:
Don't let anyone shoot a scoped rifle thru a chrony unless you are watching them like a hawk.......
I know a moron who shot the sensor on his chrono with a scoped rifle. I've been watching myself like a hawk ever
since.

I have the Competition Electronics Pro Digital. Works fine. I once got caught in a hail storm and headed for cover without my chrono. Hail got into the sensors, melted into the unit, and it quit working---thought it was history. Was easy to take apart, dry out, and put back into service.

An earlier model Competition Electronics was a little fussy. Especially with .22 centerfires--small bullets at high velocities. Sun position had to be just right for proper readings. That problem has been corrected with their latests models for some time now.

Last edited by Nnobby45; May 28, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:07 PM   #21
Tex S

Is shooting a chrony really as big of a problem as this thread makes it out to be?

The only thing that I can think of is sometimes folks might forget that their scope is an inch or two above the bore. Even then, most chronies I have seen have a decent size shooting window.

What gives?
Old May 29, 2009, 01:44 AM   #22
Bike Effects

I thought I was the only one with an Oehler 33!
Old May 29, 2009, 05:51 AM   #23
gun44

In my case..........

when my brother shot my chrony, we were adjusting his scope to bring the point of impact down, and weren't paying much attention to the chrony, and the last shot hit it right on top of the case. Pure negligence on our part. Got the scope zero'ed though!
Old May 29, 2009, 06:01 AM   #24
rwilson452

I own a Chrony Chronograph. If you read the manual you will note where the sweet spot is. I replaced the metal rods for the screens with wooden dowels. I then marked the dowels for the center, high point and low point of the sweet spot. Using a scoped rifle, my point of aim is the upper limit of the sweet spot. this ensures I don't hit the sensor unit and the bullet passes within the sweet spot. I have come to the conclusion that the rod holes are metric in size so I reamed the holes in the eye cases to accept the dowels I chose. I would not suggest you do this unless you really understand what your doing. the dowels I chose were as close to the metal rod diameter that I could find. 1/8" if I remember correctly but I'm not sure. So get out you calipers and measure for yourself then convert the decimal to a fraction. Thus far I have only broken one dowel and that was not by shooting it. I got some PVC to store the dowels in. That solved my breakage problem. I have never shot a rod or dowel and I don't intend to. If you don't want to do the dowel thing I suggest you use something like electrical tape to mark the spots on the metal rods.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:12 AM   #25
Skooter

Competition Electronics Pro-Chrono, because a shooting buddy had one and liked it, and because it had a bigger shooting window. With straws I guess the shooting window size doesn't matter as much. I never thought I needed one until I got into air rifles pretty seriously this past winter and also started reloading for a model 53 .22 Jet.