The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 11, 2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Jimyh159

Clogged barrel

?? I was recently handed a Traditions in-line rifle from a neighbor. He explained to me that he purchased the weapon to take up hunting last fall season. The gun is 9 years old, but was still in original box and unused he he aquired it. After firing the weapon a few times, it would not work properly. After a few questions, I realized that the gun he handed me still has a charge and sabot round in the barrel. Apparently the gun fouled and the charge never fired. I have attempted to push the charge and round out with the standard ram rod to no avail. How do I clear the weapon?? Is there a solvent that will break down the pyrodex charge so I can push the sabot free?
Old June 11, 2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Raider2000

Have you removed the breach plug & tried to simply push the bullet & charge out of the rear of the weapons breach?

Normally with an in line muzzleloader you take the breach plug out to clean it & this is the best way to remove any stuck loads in the weapon, maybe also to try using some WD40 or Balistol to try & lube it up to help in removal.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Pahoo

WOW

I am to understand that you have not attempted to shoot this in-line. Not sure which model you have but as Raider2000 stated, you should attempt to remove the breech plug, if indeed it has one. Some in-lines do not. The charge now in place should not give you a problem but the fouling from the previous discharges, will. Balistol is good or Kroil oil and even Hoppes #9 plus. Give it a good soaking for a minimum of two hours.

Now, if you don't have a removeable breech plug, again give it a good soaking down the bore and pull it with your screw jag. Sabots are fairly easy to pull or at least easier than patched round ball. The good soaking should will make the powder inert. Wish I had a dollar for every miss-fire I've had to pull.
If you got a manual with this kid, see what they recommend. Most will and some don't.

Be Safe
Old June 11, 2008, 06:40 PM   #4
JayC

Have you seen this CO2 load discharger?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0006480

Very handy for those times when someone forgets the powder charge or when a barrel gets so fouled that the patch, jag, and rod get stuck (I've seen both and the tool worked well both times).