The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2000, 07:03 PM   #1
bergie

Well, like I said, I'm finally putting all that empty brass I've accumulated to use. I've been reading everything here for quite some time, and have a pretty good understanding of the process. I have reloaded shotshells for years, but never metallic. My brother reloads for his rifle, and I have discussed it with him. I spent quite a bit of time talking with a guy that I met recently, got a hands-on lesson in reloading, and had a good discussion on what equipment is necessary, and/or desirable. I bought a couple of books, and studied them. After comparing prices from several sources, wound up buying the "el cheapo special" Lee anniversary kit. I also bought a set of carbide dies for 9mm, and the deluxe set for my .270.
I have only reloaded a couple of boxes of 9mm so far, using a 115g hp over some Unique which I had on hand from my shotshell loading. Everything went very smoothly.
Last Sunday I took my two pistols (TA90 and FP9) out to my buddies farm where we have a range set up, and made some more empties. No, I didn't load up both pistols and start blazing away, I cautiously fired single rounds until I was sure that I did everything right and this ammo would go bang and my pistols wouldn't go kaboom. It was a nice light load that functioned flawlessly, and shot at least as well as factory stuff.

Now I have a couple thousand once fired and 100 twice-fired empty 9mm cases to fill back up. Then I get to start working on the ultimate load for my Savage .270. My next die set will probably be .45acp, but might be for my .357. I also will need a set for my .30-06. I will probably need several different types of powder as well as an assortment of bullet weights and styles. Then I guess I will not only have to spring for dies but brass for my .303, 7.62 x39, .223 as I have mostly just used berdan-primed surplus stuff in them. More bullets and powders. Heck, if I get that far into it, I am going to need a better press, probably a progressive for most of my loads, but a better single stage for my hunting ammo, so make that 2 presses. Then I suppose I will need a tumbler, and power everything that I am currently doing by hand. Hey I thought all you guys said that reloading saves money, this is getting expensive and I've just started.

Bergie
Old March 8, 2000, 08:23 PM   #2
HankL

Bergie, You are getting the idea! In my situation it got to the point that I designed and built my home around my reloading "etc" area. I am not into match shooting anymore and only load a few thousand rounds a year.
I have more stuff than I need now but I really enjoy being able to produce a great round for almost everthing in my collection.
Start off slowly and have fun.
Best to you!
Hank
Old March 9, 2000, 02:58 PM   #3
wildcat

Take your elcheapo lee kit and set it up as a portable unit to take to the range with you.It will save you many trips from home to the range when working up loads.It will also keep you from ending up with a whole box of to hot load that you will have to pull.
Old March 9, 2000, 06:21 PM   #4
TheOtherMikey

Lee!! He surrendered to Mike Dillon a long time ago. Get yourself a good press like a Dillon 550B.

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!