The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 26, 2000, 11:51 AM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

This weekend, Cindy and I went to the range with her PPK/s. This was our second session with this pistol.

On occasion, the hammer wouldn't fall in single-action, regardless of how the trigger was pulled. After decocking and recocking, it worked.

The gun was fully in battery. Ammo feed and function were perfect (using Fiocchi and American Eagle ball). Just once in a while, the hammer stayed back until it was manually dropped.

Opinions?
Old June 26, 2000, 12:23 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Tough without seeing the gun, but I suspect the trigger linkage. Making sure the gun is unloaded, remove the grips and check the right side. Make sure the trigger spring is engaging and pushing up the trigger bar. Also look at the engagement of the trigger bar with the sear. If there is nothing wrong there, come back at me and I'll try to help further.

Jim
Old June 26, 2000, 12:37 PM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Thanks, Jim. I've had the grips off and the trigger hardware looks similar to my Beretta 92, so it shouldn't be too hard to finger out.
Old June 26, 2000, 01:47 PM   #4
Strayhorn

Taking the right grip panel off is indeed the place to start - check to make sure none of the linkage parts is rubbing the grip. Sometimes it will prevent the trigger from resetting after the slide has recocked the hammer.

Check the left grip panel next for the same thing. Aftermarket grips are particularly famous for rubbing action parts and messing up the trigger action.

One day I'll tell you about the time I had a "full-auto" PPK one morning when the Hogue wood grips fouled the trigger bar . . .

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Old June 27, 2000, 11:45 AM   #5
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

After-action report: I stripped the pistol (field + grips), cleaned it, looked for wear and found nothing out of the ordinary, and found no wear marks on the inside of the grip or on the trigger bar. After reassembling it, I dry-fired it 100 times, 75 single-action, 25 double-action. I couldn't get the problem to reoccur.

Weird. I'll take it to the range later this week and try to get it to happen again.
Old January 12, 2005, 06:24 AM   #6
dswindle

This exact problem happened to me with my new PPK/S made by S&W. The problem in my case turned out to be my new Buffalo Horn Eagle Grips. The left grip was the problem. I took a knife and VERY SLOWLY scrapped some material off of the inside and back of the left grip, and that allowed the mechanism to move freely. The second problem was the slide release button. The grips cause it to be pushed in just slightly. I had to remove some material from that area too so that the button would be flush on the right side of the pistol. If you have factory grips, then your problem is more than likely different than mine. After market grips are particularly more sensitive with Walther's than with 1911's.