The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 18, 2005, 06:42 PM   #1
TomNash

AK-series malfunction clearance/reload technique?

Hi. How do you clear malfunctions with a Kalashnikov series rifle and how do you reload it? I have developed a 'good' speed reload method and am confident that FTF, FTE can be cleared with a simple tilting of the gun and cycling of the charging handle. But what would you suggest for double feeds and tactical reloads?

Yes, I know that a good AK 'never jams'. Thank you very much.

Tom

Last edited by TomNash; June 19, 2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old June 20, 2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Jamie Young

Yank the charging handle or kick it (depending on how hard it jams).

Quote:
But what would you suggest for double feeds and tactical reloads?
What do you mean by tactical reloads? Speed?
Old June 20, 2005, 07:26 PM   #3
TomNash

Thank you for the reply. A tactical reload is where a partially empty magazine is changed out for a fully loaded magazine, and the partially empty magazine is kept for future use. This seems to be a particularly challenging task with the Kalashnikov series magazine release.

A speed reload is where the empty magazine is replaced by a more fully loaded one.

Thanks...

Tom
Old June 21, 2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Kicking will work

but finding a small tree or if at a range a vertical 4x4 and push the charging handle while pointing down range will work.
Old June 21, 2005, 11:59 PM   #5
Dog Confetti

I don't own an AK, but I'd think the "hi-low" technique would work for a tac-load...Grab the fresh mag low, place it along side the old mag high (still in the weapon)...all this with the non-firing hand...use the thumb on the non-firing hand to release the old-mag (you're holding both in one hand now), rotate the fresh mag into place.
Old June 22, 2005, 12:43 AM   #6
TomNash

Dog Confetti - thanks for the hint! That sounds like a very workable solution. The non-firing hand manipulation of the gun should also be very familiar to those trained to use the M-16 family of guns...?

The only thing that I find 'wrong' with the ergonomics of the Kalashnikov series is the positioning of the bolt charging handle on the right side of the gun - for a completely 'weak-side' speed reload of the firearm, it seems as though it would have to be flipped with the ejection port either facing the ground or facing the sky and the bolt could then be pulled back...

On the other hand (pun intended ) , a right-hander using the right hand to pull back the bolt could do so without rotating the gun, but that process requires taking ones finger out of position to pull the trigger - I'm not so sure about this approach, but it 'feels better' when doing the speed reload. Simply turn the fresh mag sideways, with the exposed bullet side closest to the gun, run magazine along under the trigger guard and smack it into the magazine release. Making sure to continue the motion past the magazine release, the old magazine can be pushed out of the gun and slightly forward of the shooter. Rock the new magazine into place and pull back/release the charging handle. This method has proven very effective for speed loads, but has taken some practice to get used to.

Thanks again!

Tom
Old June 22, 2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Dog Confetti

I don't own anything that has the AK style mag release so I haven't worked out how to deal with it...I was wondering about speed loads and your technique sounds like an option.

I know what you mean about using the right hand to charge the weapon vs rolling it to use the weak hand...it does feel more natural, but I think it may be better to get in the habit of rolling it anyway (ejection port up seems like the way to go)...I've tried it on a few weapons and it's not too hard to get used to, but I do still tend to reach with the right hand...some tape oughta fix that.
Old June 23, 2005, 04:43 PM   #8
TomNash

<G>, the tape sounds like a good idea. I assume you're going to tape your right hand to the pistol grip? I can remember getting my feet kicked for not having them flat on the ground while in the prone position ... I wonder what a trick like that might cost a person with the same instructors... ?

Take care...

Tom
Old June 23, 2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Dog Confetti

I had a chance to try your speed-load technique on a buddys AK today...it worked like a charm.
Old June 24, 2005, 05:44 PM   #10
greentimber

The AK mag release will not allow efficient use of the described hi/lo technique. Tactical reloads are probably the most difficult manipulation with an AK. Much will depend on your hand size & dexterity. The most reliable method I've found is to simply execute an emergency reload.

As for clearing malfunctions, my training has led me to believe that the best technique is to rotate the ejection port down, and sweep the charging handle from underneath with the alternate-firing hand. The key is to rotate the rifle until horizontal. This insures that the mag is not in the way. With practice it is very quick and works better than any other technique I've tried. I evaluated different methods extensively before deciding on this one. YMMV, but this works best for me in the context of my training. Additionally, it is highly beneficial to train with gloves when using an AK, even more than with other weapons. I always train with gloves, but many don't.

The key is practice!
Old June 25, 2005, 06:04 PM   #11
TomNash

Those techniques sound reasonable to me. Have you ever encountered a double feed with an AK series rifle?

I tried to simulate one with the only AK that I own, a SAR-2 (5.45x39mm) , by placing a round on top of a full magazine and releasing the charging handle. The long, needle-like bullets of the 5.45mm -really- got stuck when both tried to enter the chamber at once. I could not pull the cartridges free by hand, so the cleaning rod came out and went to work. It seems like a real problem with the AK ... ?

Can I ask where you learned to use an AK? Was it a class at a training school?

Tom
Old June 25, 2005, 07:47 PM   #12
Eghad

Have not had the pleasure of owning a AK.....

but have been the victim of mishaps on the part of the M16A2....on military ranges when the soldiers hav not done proper PMCS on em.....

we use the SPORTS Method

Slap the magazine to make sure it's seated
Pull the charging handle to the rear
Observe the chamber see if one falls out....if it does then go to next step
Release the Charging handle
Tap the forward assist (in the case of the AK tap the charging handle ?)
Squeeze the trigger n shoot

doing this in a malfunction situation has been ingrained into my DNA I think...

when doing my CCW Qualification practice I had my 1911 Jam on me (long story but easy fix) The Instructor had asked us to notify him of a jam....

oops! I had it fixed and still finished firing before most of the other students..
just natural reaction on my part. I thought he was going to get about 5 lbs of my ass..lol for not notifying him. Then I guess he remembered I was ex-military and then said to keep on doing what I was doing...lol

NRA Life Member
Old June 26, 2005, 05:36 PM   #13
KaceCoyote

My saiga has on the order of 5-6000 rounds through it with all sorts of ammunition. Silverbear, barnaul, wolf, winchester ect ect. I just recently had my first jam, and it was operator error.

I shortstroked the charging handle, the round halfstripped and smacked just below the feed ramp. I was so surprised I pulled the dust cover and had a range buddy take a picture to document this once in a lifetime experience. Pulled the bolt handle back all the way..got a good look at things, dropped the bolt. Pulled the trigger, bang. No drama, no worry. I've never had, or witnessed an AK doublefeed though I'm sure its happened.

Last edited by KaceCoyote; June 26, 2005 at 05:37 PM. Reason: forgot the pic
Old June 28, 2005, 07:00 PM   #14
TomNash

greentimber - just tried your technique on my 74 series and it works great! It feels very natural and intuitive.

Like that Saiga ...! Is that a 7.62 or 5.45 x 39mm? It seems that the more 'stubby' shape of the 7.62 round would make double feeds more correctable - the long, slender bullet of the 5.45mm allows two cartridges to make it into the chamber , up to the cases. Not very fun to clear and would require that the shooter takes their eyes off of the target area and focus on the gun.

Tom
Old June 28, 2005, 08:02 PM   #15
KaceCoyote

Why thankyou, that Saiga is 7.62
Old June 28, 2005, 10:50 PM   #16
Crosshair

Does the Saiga take regular capacity mags right out of the box?? Do you have 16" or 20". How do you like it? Local store has a 16" one of $250. Good deal?

Thanks
Old June 29, 2005, 02:16 PM   #17
KaceCoyote

16" barrel, and no they require some work to be converted. It takes another 50-90 bucks to convert it to an AK pattern, I spent about 160 on mine.
Old June 29, 2005, 02:19 PM   #18
KaceCoyote

250? Great deal, the saiga's receiver is bombproof and they've got great barrels. How do I like mine, I -adore- it. I it does everything I have ever asked of it. Its far nicer than any other AK I've handled.
Old July 3, 2005, 03:10 PM   #19
TommyV

I have encountered a double feed on an AK clone (Romanian SAR-1). I had a smokestack and did a tap-rack-bang drill to clear it, but apparently did not rack far enough. The standard lock-rip-rack-reload drill works fine, although you have to modify it a bit. I use the thumb of the firing hand to hold the bolt rearward. Also, you will probably have to exert a good deal of muscle power in the "rip" portion.

I suspect that the root cause of the malfunction (5 or 6 in 1500 rounds -- not exactly a jam-o-matic, but not great either) is that the hammer is much softer than the bolt carrier. Extensive dry-firing wears a groove in the hammer face that causes a lot of drag when the action is cycled. A few strokes with a file every once in a while keeps it running pretty well, but it just goes to show ya that even the AK can be laid low with crummy parts.

For the tactical reload, I start with the fresh mag to the right of the depleted one, with the top of the fresh mag about even with the ejection port. Rock the old one out, and put the new one in. To do this, it really helps to be either using a single-point sling or to have the butt tucked under the arm. I don't have very big hands and I can pull this off pretty well.
Old July 4, 2005, 12:05 PM   #20
Dog Confetti

Tommy V...

That's about what I was thinking on the tac-loaed, but haven't tried it (I don't own an AK)...somebody earlier said it wouldn't work? You're using your non-firing hand to do the change right? Are you left handed?
Old July 5, 2005, 07:40 AM   #21
TommyV

I'm right-handed. I tuck the butt under my right armpit, maintain my firing grip with the right hand, put the fresh mag on the right side, use my left thumb to hit the mag release, and rock the old one out and the new one in. It takes some getting used to, but it's doable, if awkward. Though I've gotta admit that if somebody was shooting at me, I probably couldn't do it that way, so it may not be too useful a skill to learn.
Old July 9, 2005, 05:32 PM   #22
Dog Confetti

Do it enough and it'll be second nature...just like playing the banjo.
Old July 9, 2005, 07:36 PM   #23
AK103K

For mag changes, here's how I do it.
I do the change with my right hand on the grip, slightly depress the muzzle, release the mag with the tip of my right middle finger and let the empty mag fall out. I then rock the new mag in and reach under the gun and hook the charging handle with my thumb, palm flat on the receiver. I do this whether the mag is empty or not, that way it doesnt matter, the gun is always loaded at the end of the mag change. You can also alter this to do a mag swap without dumping the mag by holding the full mag at the base of the one of the one in the gun with the curve reversed and the top down. You release it the same way, rock the old one out, drop your hand slightly and then rock the new one in. The top on the new one will be facing up when you finish rocking the old one out and ready to go right in the mag well. After I pocket the mag, I still work the action to be sure I'm loaded. I know a lot of people like the extended mag releases and "wings", but the really are not necessary(nor are the modified safeties for that matter). With a little practice, you can easily dump the mag with just slightly shifting your grip, and pretty much every AK I've ever done this on has dropped the mag 95% of the time without any help. For those that do need help, a quick bump at the back with the left hand knocks the empty out. I would suggest that you break the edges on the mag release where it contacts the mag with a jewelers file though, just to make things a little easier and smoother. This is what tends to grab or hold some mags.

One thing about AK mag changes you may want to keep in mind and maybe try so you understand it. Its not something you run across often, especially if you use your off hand to do the change, but its always a possibility I guess, especially with some of the ill fitting mag wells some WASR's have and it will totally tie the gun up. If you change AK mags using your strong hand, you may want to change your ways. I believe the Russians and Com Bloc troops are/were taught to change the mag out while holding the rifles forearm with the left hand, and resting the butt on the left thigh, you use the right hand to change the mag. The placement of the mag pouches on their belts tends to prove this out. I was told this by someone who was taught in the US military for a weapons familiarity course from Russian manuals. He also told me of a mag malfunction that will pretty much totally tie the gun up by using this method. I had never run across it as I use my left hand to do the mag swap and after trying to "make" it happen, I finally did, and it aint a fun thing to have happen. Basically what happens is, if the front of the mag misses the catch point of the front of the mag well as you rock it in, the mag will still catch at the rear under the release. The mag is not seated properly and the bolt carrier will not strip a round from the mag. The mag is now jammed in the well and you cant depress the mag catch to get it out. You basically have to hold it by the barrel, put the stock on the ground and kick the mag out with your boot from the front towards the rear. Believe me, its not a fun malfunction. As I said, I use my left hand and had never run across anything like it and it seems to be more prone to happen using your right hand to swap mags with. One pretty sure way to avoid this malfunction, regardless of which hand you use, is to start the mag with it almost parallel with the barrel as the front enters the well, you should not have any trouble. If you try to start it to vertical, like an M16 mag, this is where you will get into trouble.

The best thing you can do is find what works best for you and practice it until you dont have to think about it. I know there are a lot of complaints about the AK's not having a bolt hold open device, but it really doesnt matter if you get in the habit of ALWAYS stroking the bolt after a mag change, empty mag or not, as you will know the rifle is loaded at the end.
Old July 11, 2005, 11:24 AM   #24
TommyV

AK103K,

I've had that lockup happen as well. In my case, the magazine fell out of its own accord. Since then, I make double-sure that the front portion is seated before rocking the magazine in.

DogConfetti,

I say that I think the maneuver I described is iffy not because I haven't practiced it enough, but because it's not particularly fool-proof. First, a full AK mag is pretty heavy and unwieldy. Second, unless you have freakishly huge hands, you can't bring your opposable thumb into play -- you're clamping the two magazines together between your palm and fingers. Third, there's nothing to index the fresh mag against, so it can slide around (and sometimes out of your grip) if you're moving. I could go on, but you get the idea. Factor in sweaty hands and a big jolt of adrenalin and I think it'd probably fail more often than it'd succeed. It'd be a lot less error-prone to simply remove and stow the partially-depleted mag before grabbing the full one, or to use the "speed-load" technique of pressing the magazine release with the full magazine, then rock-and-lock, depending on the urgency of the situation.
Old July 11, 2005, 10:59 PM   #25
Dog Confetti

Tommy V

I had an opportunity to try your method out this afternoon...It works, but like you said it is awkward. I'm not sure I understand why you put the fresh mag on the right side...it was working for me on the left a little better (I am right handed). I don't have very large hands, but I was able to get a reasonably positive grip in both mags and still reach the mag release with my left thumb. I have a rough time all around though...I'm so used to AR's that the whole "rocking" thing is really unnatural to me.