The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 20, 2005, 03:52 PM   #1
jburtonpdx

low light/dark

I use an Inova LED light T2 model - now they have the X0 looks the same as mine.

What do you use and what technique do you use to shoot with in lowlight?
Old March 20, 2005, 05:08 PM   #2
PaulBk

Surefire G2 - Harries hold - Practice live fire, low light / no light about once each month.

-PB
Old March 20, 2005, 06:45 PM   #3
Jungle Work

I do not like falshlights mounted to pistols. I do like the modern Surefire and Stinger type of flashlights. I do know that if I believe a person has a flashlight mounted on a pistol and I see them waving it around, I will shoot toward the light. I learned to shoot with a pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other.
A light mounted on a long gun would be a different matter.

Jungle Work
Old March 20, 2005, 11:40 PM   #4
SpectreBlofeld

Let's say you hear a noise in your house in the middle of the night. You grab your trusty weapon, with flashlight locked in place on the weapon. You move though the dark house, using your weapon's light for illumination. All of a sudden, you hear a noise and catch a glimpse of movement off to the side. You point the weapon at the source in order to illuminate it - and realize you're pointing a loaded firearm with a hair trigger at your four-year old girl who sleepwalks.

I don't think it's the best way....
Old March 21, 2005, 06:53 AM   #5
jburtonpdx

"Let's say you hear a noise in your house in the middle of the night. You grab your trusty weapon, with flashlight locked in place on the weapon. You move though the dark house, using your weapon's light for illumination. All of a sudden, you hear a noise and catch a glimpse of movement off to the side. You point the weapon at the source in order to illuminate it - and realize you're pointing a loaded firearm with a hair trigger at your four-year old girl who sleepwalks."

Good point and the very reason I dont have something like that. So to get back on topic, what do you do? Do you use one of the little surefire type tactical handheld lights? If so, what stance do you use and do you ever practice it?
Old March 21, 2005, 08:22 AM   #6
SpectreBlofeld

I prefer the Harries technique:

http://www.thegunzone.com/people/michael.html
Old March 21, 2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Harlie

Guns w/

Attached lights are not flash lights, there are guns w/ with an accessary. Most people haven't, don't train moving around and amongst living breathing non adversaries in a 360 arena. There fore the most important thing not mentioned here is the placement of the trigger finger. Light and hand gun should move as one or nearly so, due to the fact of, when you light up an area, you light up your own world and become an instant target, if threat is there. You may have caused adversary night blindness or not. Light on sweep, off move if in open. Behind cover light on sweep, off remain behind cover, if only concealment move a step or two. Night sights are a advantage here as once hostile located w/ light, light generally not neccessary for rapid target acquistion. The 4 YO daughter shoudn't have been truly threatened if you were obeying rule regarding trigger finger.
Old March 21, 2005, 06:49 PM   #8
SpectreBlofeld

Quote:
The 4 YO daughter shoudn't have been truly threatened if you were obeying rule regarding trigger finger.
Still, it violates one of the Commandments of Responsible Gun Safety:

Never point your firearm at something you don't want to destroy.
Old March 21, 2005, 07:04 PM   #9
STEVE M

I use a 3 C cell mag light (Harris hold). Would like to have a mounted light

on the gun. The mag light gives me less than lethal options if the need

arises. The light on the gun would be a good addition to (not replacement

for) the mag light. It would be useful for when all are acounted for and the

only one left is the bg. It is also useful for when you have to have one hand

occupied with doing something else.

It shouldn't be either / or. The hand held and gun mounted lights both

have their place, you just have to have a plan and understand each's

shortcummings.
Old March 22, 2005, 08:30 AM   #10
Z_Infidel

Surefire light in non-shooting hand. As someone else mentioned, it is a good idea to practice shooting with the light. Not only does it get you used to hitting a target while illuminating it, but it's good practice for one-hand shooting as well.