The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2005, 04:53 AM   #1
Sir William

Sportsmans Guide 1911 parts kits. Pedigree?

I see that they have everything but, the frame. Item # AX5A-90505 www.sportsmansguide.com Where did these come from? Manufacturer? Surplus? Anybody bought one? Are the parts any good?
Old January 20, 2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The slide is probably Brazilian, at least the one I got from them a while back is. Mine is straight, square, and little used, but pretty roughly machined. I have a takeoff SA barrel in it and use it as a .22-45 conversion on my Ace .22 to try odd sights that I don't want to alter a working gun for yet.

The small parts may be Brazilian, too. If they couldn't get a license to import guns, they may have scrapped the receivers and brought in the rest as spare parts. Or they might be any combination of cheap copy, rejects, and surplus. Who knows?

Call 'em up and see if they know AND will tell you.
Old January 20, 2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Bill Z

A lot of these parts are bought by the pound by the re-seller. They are most likely 'rejects', but in a lot of cases it may have only been a cosmetic issue, and overrrun, or it could be as bad as poor heat treating or bad spec's. I'm sure it runs the gambit of possibilities.

They may be fun to dink around with, but I wouldn't expect too much in the way of quality. Who knows, you may get lucky, I doubt it though.