The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Beentown71

Surplus?

Now that the new pistol for the Army is going to be the 320 I am guessing that it will be used across all service branches soon. My question is if they will surplus the current M9 stock or will they become scrap?

I am hoping not scrap but I doubt it.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old February 1, 2017, 05:16 PM   #2
fl_rich

Trumps here... I say SURPLUS!!!
Old February 1, 2017, 05:20 PM   #3
5whiskey

Praying for Surplus. Although Trump is here, DOD will likely not take possession of any P320s until 2018. Allow a couple of years after to inventory surplus and make it's way to the CMP. Then they will have to grade them and sell them...

I also think Trump could personally care less whether they are surplus or melted into scrap. It would purely be a cost/business decision for him, if his speeches and other actions are any indicator. I'm not sure of the logistics involved, but I can think of a scenario where selling them as surplus would actually cost more than scraping them.
Old February 1, 2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Beentown71

If Euro agencies ship us their surplus I'd think it would be cost effective to sell them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old February 1, 2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Martowski

Likely stored in the event they are needed or given to causes our government wishes to support.

Remember, the government still has a lot of the old 1911s that went out of service in the 80's but hasn't released those to the public.
Old February 1, 2017, 11:24 PM   #6
tahunua001

it took 30 years for the DCM/CMP to get authorization to sell the 1911 and even then they aren't allowed to sell anything get their hands on and are limited to 10000 sales per fiscal year and are not allowed to sell for below market value. I had enough crappy experiences with the M9 to know that I'm not waiting 30 years for a jammomatic piece of junk that was poorly maintained and heavily abused for it's entire service life for the same price as a brand new beretta straight off the assembly line.
Old February 2, 2017, 12:31 PM   #7
cougar gt-e

I'd rather buy a new Taurus 92 than a worn out surplus gun for the same money.
Old February 2, 2017, 01:34 PM   #8
rock185

I suspect that if any M9s, or 1911/1911A1s, are ever actually released for sale to the public, the will sell at whatever the Government decides market value is, no matter how high. Some guys are absolutely infatuated with any weapon actually used,and preferably marked, by the military. I was issued my share of well used military weapons. I will not be standing in line to purchase any of them......ymmv
Old February 4, 2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I suspect that if any M9s, or 1911/1911A1s, are ever actually released for sale to the public, the will sell at whatever the Government decides market value is, no matter how high. Some guys are absolutely infatuated with any weapon actually used,and preferably marked, by the military. I was issued my share of well used military weapons. I will not be standing in line to purchase any of them......ymmv
With a lot of surplus weapons, the US government makes them available to other countries as military aid. (A lot of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines ended up there. The same might happen with handguns. Some of the ones offered in recent years through the CMP came back to the U.S. from those countries.)

(I suspect 1911s weren't offered to other countries because of the .45 caliber, which is seldom used by other militaries.)

I wouldn't stand in line for a surplus M9 unless the price was very, very low.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old February 4, 2017, 11:29 AM   #10
PSP

There won't be any "soon" about the transition. Beretta is still delivering M9s to the army. And even when Sig gets production rolling it will be years for the contract to be filled. Probably 10 years or so before any surplus would be available even IF such a thing is allowed to happen. Besides, the USMC still uses the Beretta.
Old February 4, 2017, 12:01 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
With a lot of surplus weapons, the US government makes them available to other countries as military aid. (A lot of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines ended up there. The same might happen with handguns. Some of the ones offered in recent years through the CMP came back to the U.S. from those countries.)
+1. I wrote in another thread on this topic that a lot of them will probably wind up on semi-permanent load to less-wealthy but trustworthy and friendly nations like Mexico, Colombia, and Jordan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
There won't be any "soon" about the transition. Beretta is still delivering M9s to the army... Besides, the USMC still uses the Beretta.
Another point I brought up... the Army will inevitably transition entire units to the M17, starting with higher-priority front-line units. As this process starts, units lower on the phaseout totem pole will "suddenly discover" that many of their M9s are unserviceable, as an excuse to requisition nicer ones from the units that are retiring them. Consequently, most of the pistols that are initially retired will be borderline junk, really suitable only to be cannibalized for parts. (This generally happens whenever the military retires a major weapons system.) Once the Army gets around to retiring the nicer ones, they will probably be transferred to the USMC, USN, USAF, and USCG as replacements.

It will be a LONG time before serviceable M9s are surplussed.
Old February 4, 2017, 01:06 PM   #12
Boncrayon

Surplus?

The M9 is still a great firearm, and any surplus in the change over would be of various wear and tear. At a gun show or gun shop, it's up to the "buyer beware" with a close inspection to see if it has been abused our used to its limit. The M9 will be marked on the frame. If they are bought and sold to the retail market, check the slide rattle, the rifling, the look of the frame and outside barrel, grips and any sign of refinishing. Beretta is a stickler for detail, and parts are replaceable with barrels, etc. from the FS model.

BC
Beretta 90-TWO 9mm
Old February 4, 2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Technosavant

If one wants a M9, they're readily commercially available at reasonable prices- all without the wear and tear of a life spent in government service. There's even police trade in 92s out there at lower prices. All available now.

I'm not sure what the used M9s would go for, but something tells me "screaming deal on a great gun" isn't likely to be the case. And that's assuming we don't have political changes before they'd become available that would block the process.

I wouldn't really hold my breath. If it happens, nice. If they're good guns at good prices, even better. But if one wants one that badly, just get a new one right now and be done with it. You'll even have warranty coverage.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:21 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

The CMP still hasn't got the approval required from the Secretary of the Army according to their site. Been like that since 10/15/16.
Wouldn't count on The Donald putting much priority on it either. His first nominated new Sec Army dropped out of the running already. Said he was too busy working.
Mr. Robert M. Speer was appointed Acting Sec Army on 20 Jan. Army accountant, so if anybody would see the plus side of selling surplus stuff it'd be him.
Nobody has been surplusing much of anything in the last 30 or 40 years or more though.
Old February 4, 2017, 07:30 PM   #15
damienph

Trump may not make selling surplus military handguns a priority but at least he won't actively plan on destroying them the way his opponent's husband did with a bunch of 1911s that went under the torch when he was president.
Old February 5, 2017, 12:54 PM   #16
Model12Win

Don't fear! Donald is here!

The M9s will be released.